X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining National Guard Experience

So for the past month, I've been debating on joining the national guard and the other day I saw my recruiter. From what I understand, I would need a Moral Waivers as well as 3 non-family references. I would like to join the national guard as a full time job(40+ hours a week), but I dunno if they have anything like that available. I hav'nt taken my test yet to see where I would be placed, and I have a couple of jobs in mind, but if worst comes to worst, I don't mind joining infantry.

I was just wondering, even if I was to join-up as infantry, would there be a full time job available. I dunno if I want to join for life, or for the 8 years and switchup to the regular army full time. I honestly don't see a difference between the two except the National Guard is better funded. If you guys can give me any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Joining National Guard Experience

chances are, if you are coming in as a private, you arent going to be working full time in the Infantry. most Infantry companies have all of 5 full timers, and then maybe a couple officers if it is an HHC company

Comment

Sounds like you need to do some more homework. I love the NG as much as anyone, but the vast majority of the NG do it on a part time basis, and you're looking for full time employment. Why aren't you considering the regular army?

Comment

I am considering both. I just saw the national guard recruited and I am reading into the regular army. I just want to make sure I choose the right one, because I don't want to change one for the other after I get our of Basic/AIT. I don't even think I can change after that.

Comment

Originally posted by vctrfs View Post
          I am considering both. I just saw the national guard recruited and I am reading into the regular army. I just want to make sure I choose the right one, because I don't want to change one for the other after I get our of Basic/AIT. I don't even think I can change after that.
          You're correct, you can't. National Guard, Reserve, and Regular Army soldiers all go into the same Army TRADOC pipeline (BCT and AIT), but you come out and work with your respective branch of the army. You'll read stories about people switching from the Reserves to the Guard, or from National Guard to Active, but it's a huge hassle and there aren't any guarantees. With that in mind, make the right choice now so you aren't dealing that later.

Comment

the National Guard is better funded.

Comment

So for the past month, I've been debating on joining the national guard and the other day I saw my recruiter. From what I understand, I would need a Moral Waivers as well as 3 non-family references. I would like to join the national guard as a full time job(40+ hours a week), but I dunno if they have anything like that available. I hav'nt taken my test yet to see where I would be placed, and I have a couple of jobs in mind, but if worst comes to worst, I don't mind joining infantry.

I was just wondering, even if I was to join-up as infantry, would there be a full time job available. I dunno if I want to join for life, or for the 8 years and switchup to the regular army full time. I honestly don't see a difference between the two except the National Guard is better funded. If you guys can give me any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
              DUDE. STOP.

Here's your insight: National Guard is one-weekend-a-month, unless you win the lottery for a full-time job that everybody else is fighting for. That means you work 2 days a month, and get paid for 2 days a month.

Active Duty is a full-time job, where you get paid full-time, AND you get housing allowance.

That's the difference. It's a huge one for you if you're looking for full-time work.

I hate to steer people away from the National Guard, but I really don't think this is what you want.

Comment

Working...
              X