Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asvab question

Hello all,

Got a quick question about the asvab. I'm trying to go CA ANG. I've been studying for the asvab, only issue is that I'm not very good at math. I was wondering if its possible to obtain a 50 by passing the arithmetic reasoning (AR) portion on the asvab? I know the most important part of the test is the AFQT. Which is the four sections including word knowledge, arithmetic reasoning, math knowledge ( algebra) and paragraph comprehension.

I've been reading the Asvab for dummies book, and they state according to their research. You only have about a 1:12 min per question, so obviously you gotta 'move with a purpose'.

Thanks,

Re: Asvab question

If you have the ASVAB for Dummies book then you should do well. I too am terribly bad bad bad at math. No, seriously. I failed math several times in high school, and it took me three times to pass College Algebra. My brain just does not function that way. Worry not! I took the computer ASVAB and found that the math questions were MUCH easier than what was in the Dummies book, and I had lots of time.

My advice to you is, just keep taking those practice tests over and over until you have a decent grasp. Be sure to study FOIL....lots of those questions. There were a couple questions on the ASVAB that maybe I didn't work out properly in Algebra, but I was still able to figure out the answer. Remember 2 of the questions are totally wrong, so that should give you 50/50 there. Just breathe and relax and take your time!! Don't worry about the countdown....you get a total amount of time per question, its not like you only get 1:12 to answer then you must move on.

I was striving to get a 104 on my GT for 68W and ended up getting 120 and qualifying for 12Y. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
      If you have the ASVAB for Dummies book then you should do well. I too am terribly bad bad bad at math. No, seriously. I failed math several times in high school, and it took me three times to pass College Algebra. My brain just does not function that way. Worry not! I took the computer ASVAB and found that the math questions were MUCH easier than what was in the Dummies book, and I had lots of time.

My advice to you is, just keep taking those practice tests over and over until you have a decent grasp. Be sure to study FOIL....lots of those questions. There were a couple questions on the ASVAB that maybe I didn't work out properly in Algebra, but I was still able to figure out the answer. Remember 2 of the questions are totally wrong, so that should give you 50/50 there. Just breathe and relax and take your time!! Don't worry about the countdown....you get a total amount of time per question, its not like you only get 1:12 to answer then you must move on.

I was striving to get a 104 on my GT for 68W and ended up getting 120 and qualifying for 12Y. Good luck!

Thanks Solrider,

I feel you on the math part also, I think when I say I'm bad at math is a understatement lol. I already have a hard enough time with the arithmetic reasoning, some of the pre-algebra I understand. My strong points are english, mechanical comprehension, and automotive. But.... I know those are used for the vocational part of the ASVB, my main focus is getting a high enough score on the (AFQT). I guess what am I asking is it possible to nearly fail mathematics knowledge (MK) ? and do decently in the arithmetic reasoning portion and achieve a 50?

Comment

Originally posted by Tacit View Post
        Thanks Solrider,

I feel you on the math part also, I think when I say I'm bad at math is a understatement lol. I already have a hard enough time with the arithmetic reasoning, some of the pre-algebra I understand. My strong points are english, mechanical comprehension, and automotive. But.... I know those are used for the vocational part of the ASVB, my main focus is getting a high enough score on the (AFQT). I guess what am I asking is it possible to nearly fail mathematics knowledge (MK) ? and do decently in the arithmetic reasoning portion and achieve a 50?
        That I don't know. What I'm saying is, stop worrying about what you can squeak by with or worry about what you can fail and what you can't. Instead spend your time studying your *** off and you will be fine. =)

Comment

Don't worry about the scores; they are hard to calculate and relative. If you practice you will do fine.
          I got a 90+ on AFQT so let me give you some advice on the math.

You want to practice 2 ways. Get a practice book with full tests.
          First sit down and take 1 of each type of math section like you would on the test, timed and check at the end.
          Then take 10-20 practice questions from each math section and take your time make sure they are correct and you understand the answers.
          Now take another round of timed math sections, your answers right should have improved noticeably.
          Repeat until satisfied.

If your skills are really lacking simply practice using basic math with paper and pencil.
          large number addition
          long division
          fraction manipulation
          large number multiplication

You can find videos with tips for paper and pencil math on youtube.

I practiced and it payed off. If you don't put the work in your not going to do well.

Comment

Originally posted by JR7775 View Post
            Don't worry about the scores; they are hard to calculate and relative. If you practice you will do fine.
            I got a 90+ on AFQT so let me give you some advice on the math.

You want to practice 2 ways. Get a practice book with full tests.
            First sit down and take 1 of each type of math section like you would on the test, timed and check at the end.
            Then take 10-20 practice questions from each math section and take your time make sure they are correct and you understand the answers.
            Now take another round of timed math sections, your answers right should have improved noticeably.
            Repeat until satisfied.

If your skills are really lacking simply practice using basic math with paper and pencil.
            large number addition
            long division
            fraction manipulation
            large number multiplication

You can find videos with tips for paper and pencil math on youtube.

I practiced and it payed off. If you don't put the work in your not going to do well.
            I took everyone's advice and I'm studying everyday. I went out to Barnes and Nobbles last night and bought this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470537000/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I highly recommend this book for anybody else who is struggling in math! It gives you examples step by step in easy to understand format. Wish me luck guys!

Comment

How are you doing sir? I have a question what site did you use to study for the math parts? Also I have a MEPS question, I have about a 8 inch meta ord in my left ankle a long with 7 screws, I got it put in 6 years ago in which it has healed 100%. Do you know if that is a disqualifier?

Originally posted by Solrider View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Tacit View Post
                Got a quick question about the asvab. I'm trying to go CA ANG. I've been studying for the asvab, only issue is that I'm not very good at math. I was wondering if its possible to obtain a 50 by passing the arithmetic reasoning (AR) portion on the asvab? I know the most important part of the test is the AFQT. Which is the four sections including word knowledge, arithmetic reasoning, math knowledge ( algebra) and paragraph comprehension.
                To be in the 50th percentile, you will need 204 points on your AFQT (2VE + AR + MK). VE is out of 62 points, but I can't figure out what the maximum AR or MK scores are -- and the internet seems to be devoid of this information. Check this out.

Edit: I am somewhat skeptical of all the ASVAB stuff I have found online. I took the test in 2002 and my VE score was a 64, which contradicts the supposed maximum score of 62. But it is possible that the test has changed since then.

Comment

If you need more asvab practice, there are many free ones online. expecially math ones, seems like alot of people are having the same issue. check out www.free-asvab-test.com
                  great free practice....

Comment

Working...
                  X