Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal issues and the Guard/Active duty

Hi,
    I tried to search, but couldn't find anything that is similar to my situation. Currently I'm a junior in undergrad and a civilian. I had considered the Guard/Reserves, but in the past year or so have been thinking about active duty. I plan to go to law school after I graduate, and would love to be a JAG in any branch. However, I've done a few stupid things. Here's what happened:

Reckless driving age 16 - dismissed entirely,
    2 speeding tickets (2 pts on license each)
    1 accident where i rear-ended someone in the snow, got a ticket (2 pts on license, as well)
    Freshman year of college, got caught with a marijuana pipe but the search was illegal. Got the case dismissed.
    Finally, last month driving with a headlight out, got pulled over and charged with drug paraphernalia again and posession, went to court and had it lowered to disorderly conduct which I have community service for.

So, in terms of guilty/punished offenses, I have the two speeding tickets, ticket for rear-ending someone, and a disorderly conduct.

Am i eligible to serve in the military? I wanted to go JAG, but not sure if that could happen now. Could I still do JAG? OCS? or enlist in Guard/Reserve?

Thank you for your help. It was a wakeup call last time and I'm on the right path. I just need to figure out if, assuming I totally stay out of trouble from now on, I can still serve. If not, I understand and know it is my own fault. Thank you all.

Re: Legal issues and the Guard/Active duty

OCS - doubtful
    Enlisted - possible but you will need a waiver for any legal issues and right now waivers are getting harder and harder to come by. I suggest you go talk to a recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye33 View Post
      Finally, last month driving with a headlight out, got pulled over and charged with drug paraphernalia again and posession, went to court and had it lowered to disorderly conduct which I have community service for.
      Perhaps you could quit doing illegal stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
        Perhaps you could quit doing illegal stuff.
        Best bet is a future in politics

Comment

Squash, thank you SO much for your advice and insight! I'm glad you said that, because I thought that racking up a few more citations would greatly increase my odds. I totally planned on getting caught with a couple grams of weed and was hoping I'd get those speeding tickets. Your help with this matter is invaluable.

Robinpugs, thanks for actually answering a legitimate (and quick) question. I am going to speak with a recruiter, but wanted to make sure it wasn't something that automatically disqualified me no matter what before going in. The thought of sitting down and immediately being told I could not serve in any capacity is embarrassing.

Cityslicker, good point. I can't say I'd mind that!

Comment

Hi,
            I tried to search, but couldn't find anything that is similar to my situation. Currently I'm a junior in undergrad and a civilian. I had considered the Guard/Reserves, but in the past year or so have been thinking about active duty. I plan to go to law school after I graduate, and would love to be a JAG in any branch. However, I've done a few stupid things. Here's what happened:

Reckless driving age 16 - dismissed entirely,
            2 speeding tickets (2 pts on license each)
            1 accident where i rear-ended someone in the snow, got a ticket (2 pts on license, as well)
            Freshman year of college, got caught with a marijuana pipe but the search was illegal. Got the case dismissed.

So, in terms of guilty/punished offenses, I have the two speeding tickets, ticket for rear-ending someone, and a disorderly conduct.

Am i eligible to serve in the military? I wanted to go JAG, but not sure if that could happen now. Could I still do JAG? OCS? or enlist in Guard/Reserve?

Thank you for your help. It was a wakeup call last time and I'm on the right path. I just need to figure out if, assuming I totally stay out of trouble from now on, I can still serve. If not, I understand and know it is my own fault. Thank you all.
            Ok, as a recruiter it sure does not seem like you really want to be in the Army. You show a track record of getting caught with "drug parphenalia" and possesion this time. And whow the search was illegal but you still did it.

More so is the overall attitude, you come off like you did nothing wrong. JAG? really OCS? I would not want you as my LT leading me into combat.

But sure smoke more, go to MEPS and fail the Drug test so we never have to deal with you again.

Comment

As an attorney (who just submitted his app to join the Guard) I can tell you that the legal market for lawyers is very bad right now. I'm not saying don't go, but carefully consider the quality of the law school vs. the student loan debt.

That sad, to sit for any Bar Exam you have to pass the character and fitness test, and these offenses will likely be discussed at your interview.

Comment

Hi,

With two drug related charges and the last one within the last month, you would not be eligible until you complete all requirements of the court (ie community service/probation/fines). As for a future for OCS or JAG, not going to happen anytime soon.

Comment

SF Hunter & Robinpugs --

Truthfully, when all is said and done, I just want to serve. I don't care if I can't make ocs/become an officer if i could still serve as an enlisted man. Do you guys think once this case is taken care of, I could enlist? I would be enlisting in a year or so (graduating undergrad in Jan 2013) with a B.A.

Thanks for the help. I've made some stupid mistakes and didn't picture myself wanting a military career when I was young and stupid. I'm definitely not getting into any more trouble, I don't even drive over the speed limit.

Comment

I sure hope not. When they grant waivers for this kind of stuff I am usually procssing the separation packet about 12 months later.

Comment

You might not drive over the speed limit but you sure like smoking pot, why you just had it last month. Highly doubt you stopped.

Comment

Working...
                      X