X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astigmatism waiver

My 17yo son was disqualified at MEPS today for astigmatism. He is 4. And 4.25 in his left and right eyes. Corrects to 20/20 with contacts and glasses. Have a letter recommending him from optometrist now that says it won't impair his abilities to do his job. Before i bother with trying fora waiver which is what his recruiter suggests I want a better idea of if there is a real chance he might get one. This is all he has ever wanted. He score 69 on the test at MEPS if that matters. I won't get his hopes back up if it is a slim to none chance. Thanks in advance.

Mom to one highly disappointed young man

Re: Astigmatism waiver

Waivers for anything have been and are still in short supply. If your recruiter thinks it's worth applying, then perhaps you should. You have nothing to lose right?

Comment

I have everything to lose. I have a son who had his hopes were crushed once. I won't do that to him again with little to no chance of success. I think we will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        Waivers for anything have been and are still in short supply. If your recruiter thinks it's worth applying, then perhaps you should. You have nothing to lose right?
        Can't hurt to try as it seems like a waiver is possible if he falls in the guidelines.
        From AR 40-501 The Standards of Medical Fitness:

d. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying. However, for entrance into USMA or Army ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying: (1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.
        Last edited by robinpugs06; January 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morning6767 View Post
          I have everything to lose. I have a son who had his hopes were crushed once. I won't do that to him again with little to no chance of success. I think we will pass.
          As a parent of 4, I find that disappointing to read.

Anyway, these restrictions change as the needs of the miitary and the numbers of the military change. He still has roughly another 17 years to enlist and a lot can happen in the just the next 17 months. We've all seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            As a parent of 4, I find that disappointing to read.

Anyway, these restrictions change as the needs of the miitary and the numbers of the military change. He still has roughly another 17 years to enlist and a lot can happen in the just the next 17 months. We've all seen it.
            Seriously? I didn't come here to have my parenting skills judged. You might be a parent to 4 but you aren't a parent to mine. I am not sure why the number of children matter but okay. I would find it disappointing for a parent to allow their son or daughter to have their hopes built up unrealistically for a second time only to be dashed again. I guess it's a good thing you aren't parenting my children and vice versa. By the way, apparently my parenting skills work pretty good since I have a son with a 4.15gpa and the recruiter is drooling over him.

Comment

but apparently you forgot to teach your child that if they really want something, they shouldnt let anything stand in their way and never give up hope. sounds like you are raising a future quitter - which is not military material to begin with.

Comment

My 17yo son was disqualified at MEPS today for astigmatism. He is 4. And 4.25 in his left and right eyes. Corrects to 20/20 with contacts and glasses. Have a letter recommending him from optometrist now that says it won't impair his abilities to do his job. Before i bother with trying fora waiver which is what his recruiter suggests I want a better idea of if there is a real chance he might get one. This is all he has ever wanted. He score 69 on the test at MEPS if that matters. I won't get his hopes back up if it is a slim to none chance. Thanks in advance.

Mom to one highly disappointed young man
                Your son may be 17, but if he is enough of a man to enlist, then you should let him make the decision on whether he wants to move forward with a waiver. I realize he's not 18 yet, but if you consider him responsible enough to serve his country, then you should relinquish the role of decision maker in many regards to his future. YES, you still DO have a say...he's still technically a minor and you want to protect his legal interests, but you can't protect him from everything and every disappointment.

When I read "....before I bother with trying for a waiver..." I thought, 'is the young man enlisting or is mom? Is he man enough to enlist? If you believe that he is, then step back and let him decide how he wants to proceed. I'm not saying you can't be there to guide him, but let him pick the direction. Like SteveLord said, waivers occur and regulations change all the time...

If he is to be able to enlist and go off to basic training, you will not be there to shield him from disappointment, discouragement and failure and you SHOULDN'T. Going through these things is part of the growing process and its healthy for a child/young man to learn how to DEAL with disappointment so that when you're NOT there....he'll be just fine.

If he is disappointed at basic training, because he's failing at a task, do you think he will be shielded? No, he will be taught to persevere, to keep trying...to 'NEVER QUIT' as the Warrior's Ethos says.. He will overcome his obstacles and drive on, feeling proud he did it on his own, without his mom micro-managing his successes and disappointments.

He may be disappointed right now, we all have been at some point, but I can tell you from reading all these threads that REGRET and regret for the "I should have stayed in, I should have tried for that waiver" eats people up a lot worse.

I am not lecturing you on how to raise your son; I have 2 teens of my own and I too am a mother, but the fact is we cannot give a concrete answer to whether or not he has a shot "...it all depends''

Why don't you go ask your son, who appears to man enough to enlist, what HE wants to do.
                Last edited by Chris36; January 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Seriously? I didn't come here to have my parenting skills judged. You might be a parent to 4 but you aren't a parent to mine. I am not sure why the number of children matter but okay. I would find it disappointing for a parent to allow their son or daughter to have their hopes built up unrealistically for a second time only to be dashed again. I guess it's a good thing you aren't parenting my children and vice versa. By the way, apparently my parenting skills work pretty good since I have a son with a 4.15gpa and the recruiter is drooling over him.
                  I only find it disappointing that you've essentially already given up...while knowing so little. Since I don't have a crystal ball for you, I painted you a picture of what is has been happening with waivers and the current status of the military force. I also told you that just because he might not be able to enlist now, doesn't mean he can't in the future. Whether that be in 1 year, 5 years or 10 years or anything in between. I recommend you re-read that part again since you obviously missed it.

And if it's any consolation, my former squad leader/now recruiter...tells me roughly half of these types of waivers have been approved for his enlistments. But they are all done at the NGB in Washington DC and takes roughly a month.
                  Last edited by SteveLord; January 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    , but the fact is we cannot give a concrete answer to whether or not he has a shot "...it all depends''
                    The only useful bit and the only answer to the only question I was asking. And again, since the recruiter has been courting him for over two years now he and I must be doing something right. Since he is on track to graduate a year early and be accepted into the two Ivy League universities he wants to attend means he and I must be doing something right. This despite a learning disability and a father who abandoned him. I guess we know something about overcoming and adversity. I've read between the lines of all your responses and read the outright insults. Although it would be easy to respond in kind my mom taught me better than that, as I have taught my son better.

Have a good day.

Comment

As a Recruiter for 6 years, and nearly 200 Soldiers enlisted. I can tell you that eye refraction of +4 in each eye will not most likely not get a waiver. The tolorance is +/- 1, and anything past that is highly unlikely

Comment

Working...
                      X