Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can any help. I wanna enlist but criminal background disqualifies me Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any help. I wanna enlist but criminal background disqualifies me

Hi all, I want to start by saying thank you for all your hard work and I respect everything you've done. Now down to my question. I'm trying to enlist in the National Guard and have completed my Path To Honor. I next called the representative to verify my info and everything was going good until we hit the criminal background. I told him I got arrested for a Domestic Disturbance charge. My ex girlfriend, at the time, and I were in the next town over hanging out having a couple drinks. After a couple hours we ended up getting into an arguement and she took off trying to walk home crying. Now I wouldn't let her walk and she wouldn't let me drive her home so I tried to flag down a car to give her a ride, I realize it wasn't a smart idea to flag over a stranger for a ride. But it turns out the car I flagged down was a cop, so once the cop pulled over and got outta the car, he then saw my ex crying and immediately assumed I did something wrong and threw to cuffs on me. Now back at he station my ex told the arresting officer that she didn't want to press charges bc nothing happened but the cop told her she had to. So I spent the night in a cell awaiting court the next day. So the next day at court I went to talk to the prosecutor with my ex in tail. We both explained to the prosecutor what had happen and bc it was my first offense she told me the case would be dropped pending did I 12 month 24 classes of anger management. So I did the classes in the giving amount of time and I was told the case was dropped. This all happens back when I was 21 and I am not 4 months away from 29 now. I'm not the same immature person anymore and I want to better myself and if a recruiter took his/her time to talk to me, they'd hopefully see how sincere I am about joining and starting a better life. Now can I be disqualified from enlisting just bc I told the representative a charge I wasn't a 100% about and without a real background check even being done. One again I wanna say thank you for your service and making this country a better place to live.

Re: Can any help. I wanna enlist but criminal background disqualifies me

I smell B.S.

No one is thrown in jail overnight, charged, does ''12 month, 24 classes of anger management'' for a crying girlfriend and an 'assumption'. Especially if she actually told the cop you didn't do anything. They would not and could not have pressed charges simply because your GF was crying. There's more to this story. Cops leave abusive homes and hospitals EVERY DAY, KNOWING a woman is being abused, having bruises, etc.....but if she says 'I fell', there's nothing they can do.

If you want to tell us what actually happened, maybe someone on here can tell you if you actually have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
      I smell B.S.

No one is thrown in jail overnight, charged, does ''12 month, 24 classes of anger management'' for a crying girlfriend and an 'assumption'. Especially if she actually told the cop you didn't do anything. They would not and could not have pressed charges simply because your GF was crying. There's more to this story. Cops leave abusive homes and hospitals EVERY DAY, KNOWING a woman is being abused, having bruises, etc.....but if she says 'I fell', there's nothing they can do.

If you want to tell us what actually happened, maybe someone on here can tell you if you actually have a chance.
      Could be BS but some states do not need the abused person to press charges, the prosecutor can actually do it themselves. In many cases, prosecutors will file charges against the alleged abuser and aggressively pursue the case, even where the victim refuses to actively participate in the prosecution. Domestic violence laws in many states have become harsher because many battered women won't press charges out of fear, intimidation or misplaced feelings of love. The courts and prosecutors have taken aggressive roles in enforcing new and existing laws. This may have happened with the OP I don't know.

I would get a complete criminal background check done on yourself before you complete your paperwork with the recruiter. See what comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        I smell B.S.

+1

Somethings missing

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
          +1

Somethings missing
          Ya I would agree...I know some states have gotten really tough on domestic violence but it seems like something is missing in the whole story.

Comment

And WHY would you try to flag down any 'ole strange car and/or driver to give your girlfriend a ride home?

Comment

Teets, based on what happened (even if you were innocent and she totally lied), you were found guilty of the act. Sorry.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM. Reason: used the wrong word

Comment

Thank you all for your responds. I appreciate it. That is honestly the truth of what happened that night. Like I said I realized it was a mistake to try and flag someone down I was young dumb and had a couple drinks. I didn't put a hand on her, she was just walking crying and the cop assumed something happened. This is also in a town, which I don't like to say, but doesnt have the most trusting cops, which is also well document by local papers. The one thing I did leave out was the arresting officer assumed I hit her and he said "How would you like it if I brought you down a back road and beat you senseless because I will." Which I relied what's your name and your badge number so I can press charges on you. He then slammed the cruiser door on me, took me to HQ and threw me in a cell were I repeated asked for an officer, by name, who called me earlier in the week because a friend of mine put me down as a reference since he was trying to join the local police. They didn't take kindly to me wanting to press charges and I believe thats what made the arrest go thru. But once again thanks for all your answers

Comment

There is for sure BS and missing parts to this story. But just taken as face value Im not sure a domestic disturbance is a Lautenberg issue (if there is not an element of violence needed in that charge) but he would still have a misdemeanor issue.

Comment

So a drunk guy yelling that he wants to press charges...I can't imagine why they didn't help you with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      There is for sure BS and missing parts to this story. But just taken as face value Im not sure a domestic disturbance is a Lautenberg issue (if there is not an element of violence needed in that charge) but he would still have a misdemeanor issue.
                      True...I agree

Comment

Working...
                      X