X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP for a year

I am a senior in high school this year, graduating in May. I am going to college next year (2014-2015). Can I enlist this summer (2014), attend RSP for a year, and go to BCT and AIT in summer of 2015? My parents do not want me to go until I have at least a year of college in, but I don't want to pay for my first year of college and waste my money.

Thanks!

You would still have to pay for your first year of college. Just attending RSP does not entitle you to any education benefits. You would not eligible for education benefits until you completed at lease AIT for your chosen MOS. Then at that time you could apply for your Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve. But, when it comes to Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) program you would not be eligible to apply for it, until 12 months after completing AIT.

Also, you must ship to BCT within 350 days from your enlistment date.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; March 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

My recruiter said that the Guard starts paying for school right after you sign. That's not true?

Comment

• SF Hunter
        SF Hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        It might be true for your state education benefits, but not for federal.

• stonestonson
        stonestonson commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully that is the case. Thanks for your help!

As SF Hunter mentioned, everyone is eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance one year after completion of AIT. Each state however offers different incentives. In NY, you are eligible for 100% Tuition Assistance begining the day you join. Your state may offer the same.
      Last edited by NYGuardRecruiter; March 4th, 2014, 10:58 AM. Reason: Concerning you question about joining this summer & shipping after the school year, you may enlist 270 days from your ship date. So, if your school wraps up around May you may have to wait until

Comment

Working...
      X