Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Another State's Guard and RSP

Hello,

I live in California, and am thinking about joining the Guard in another state, for two main reasons:

1. I'm strongly considering an 18x contract, and I've read that California hasn't taken many new recruits into Special Forces in years

2. My wife and I have been dreaming to move out of California for our entire lives. This is a slight exaggeration, but nonetheless, we'd prefer to move.

I know it's possible to enlist for another state, but would I be able to RSP in California? I mean, you're RSP unit will be different from your assigned unit (after training) anyway right? I'm looking to depart for basic closer to the end of next year, and during that time I would be looking for housing arrangements so that I could move before BCT.

Does all of this seem practical? Should I try to move states and THEN enlist? I know this would be safer, in a sense, but I really want to enlist now. To be clear, not being able to move will not stop me from joining the NG in California and serving my state proudly in a different MOS.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

I drilled with a RSP unit in my state 3 or 4 times before I shipped, and I recall a couple different guys that enlisted in a different state drilling with us. I don't know the mechanism---it certainly involves working with your recruiter/RSP cadre, but it should be possible.

Comment

Which CA unit have you talked to? I was working with a MSgt at the unit in Los Alamitos just last year and they had quite a few SFREs scheduled that I was invited to. Not sure if it's because I wouldn't be considered a "new recruit" coming from the Marine Corps, but there were available options.

Comment

@enceladus - Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going to ask my recruiter, but with Christmas I won't see her till the end of the week. Were those folks in your RSP unit enlisted in a different state but living in that one?

@jrodbones- I haven't contacted any individual unit yet, but I've read on several forum posts that they haven't accepted anyone without some prior service in years. I will certainly double check with my recruiter though. Did you attend any of those SFRE's? If so, what was the Los Alamitos unit like? That is the one I'm closest to.

Thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewjstubblefield View Post
          @enceladus - Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going to ask my recruiter, but with Christmas I won't see her till the end of the week. Were those folks in your RSP unit enlisted in a different state but living in that one?

@jrodbones- I haven't contacted any individual unit yet, but I've read on several forum posts that they haven't accepted anyone without some prior service in years. I will certainly double check with my recruiter though. Did you attend any of those SFRE's? If so, what was the Los Alamitos unit like? That is the one I'm closest to.

Thank you both.
          This was just given to me; here you go:
          http://www.calguard.ca.gov/A5-19SF/P...ialForces.aspx

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend one. It seems as though my drill dates at my unit always fall on the same weekends. I am going through a civilian law enforcement academy in Jan and will look to attend the one after that. However, I'm sure that they change the structure quite a bit and prefer individuals do not give too much information on it to make it fair. Just my .02

Comment

Thank you both.
            Special Forces (A/5/19th SFG) in California has not considered non prior military applicants for many years. REP 63/18X is not available with CA ARNG. They have only recently re-started their SFRE's for current/prior service applicants.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; December 27th, 2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

SF Hunter -

Is it possible to enlist for another state? I asked my recruiter today if that was possible and she said no. That seems contrary to what I've read in the forums though.

I've even considered calling up a unit in the state I'm interested in and asking to speak to an SF recruiter and see if they can provide more information.

Comment

If you haven't already, check out the SF subforum on this site.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...special-forces

Google the state you're interested in and their website will likely tell you the prerequisites required to go SF.

Comment

SF Hunter -

Is it possible to enlist for another state? I asked my recruiter today if that was possible and she said no. That seems contrary to what I've read in the forums though.

I've even considered calling up a unit in the state I'm interested in and asking to speak to an SF recruiter and see if they can provide more information.
                  Yes, its possible to enlist in another state because state residence is not required. But, you would not attend RSP in California, unless you enlist and serve with CA ARNG. In order for you to pursue an SF contract (REP 63); currently your closest options would be either the states of UT or CO. It would be best to actually work with/contact the SF recruiters in either of those states. If you havent already submit your information and desired SF unit of interest through the http://specialforces.nationalguard.com site.

Comment

Working...
                  X