X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First RSP weekend/ Red Phase

As the title states, I just completed my first RSP weekend as a red phaser. I'm making this post, because I was sort of nervous going into it, and didn't really know what would happen while I was there. I'm sure they're are some new guys wondering what it is like, so here ya go!
    First of all, if you're going into your first weekend and you're nervous/worried about it, just relax. It was both fun and educational, nothing to worry about at all!
    Make sure to bring the following:
    • Sleeping Gear- Blanket, sleeping bag, etc...
    • Personal Hygiene- SHAVING CREAM/RAZOR, shower supplies (if you want a shower), and some Deodorant!
    • PT Items- WHITE SOCKS THAT COME ABOVE ANKLE and a good pair of RUNNING SHOES
    • Something to keep you entertained during down time- Book, magazine, phone, etc...
    Make sure you shave the morning of, and wear comfortable clothes there. I wore PT clothes there (Basketball shorts, and a solid grey t-shirt). It's also important to try and learn as much as you can before coming. It'd be wise to learn all the Ranks, phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie...), and watch some videos on D&C (drill and ceremony).

I arrived at my RSP location (Richmond, KY) at about 0830. Formation was at 0900. So I had about 30 minutes to social and meet some people. It's important, at least for me, too make some friends while there, it makes it more enjoyable and fun if you've got a couple "battle buddies". When the Sergeants yell "Fall In", stop what you're doing and just do whatever the rest of the guys in uniform are doing. Pretty simple. When the Drill Sergeants come in and begin inspection, just use common sense, and they won't bother you, at least, it worked for me!
    After the Drill Sergeants are finished trying to scare everyone, we fell out of formation. The cadre then split up the phases. All the red phases together, all the white phasers, etc... Now the fun begins!
    The red phase is then dismissed to the classroom. Where it's about 5-6 hours of power points. DON'T FALL ASLEEP. One PVT did and it really pissed our Sergeant off. We spent the next 45 minutes doing conditioning drills (pushups, flutter kicks, superman's, etc...) During the classroom time, we individually got our ACU's. As soon as we received them we were allowed to go put them on. Once everyone has received them and put them on, our Sergeant gave us some tips on how to wear them correctly.
    At 1200, it was chow time. MRE's for us!
    We fell in for final formation around 1600. Did a little D&C, and were given chow at 1700, some assorted catered food.
    After chow we had to retrieve our cots. Yes, we had to sleep on cots, in the Drill Hall, no barracks or beds for us! Once we sat up all of our cots, about +/-80 cots, we were free for the rest of the night. So from about 1800 to 0530 we had nothing more to do. We had A LOT of down time.
    That night we had fireguard, and luckily enough for me and my battle buddy, we had it from 0200-0300. It wasn't bad at all. We held it down, and made assure that there were indeed no fires in our building .
    Wake up was at 0530. Time for PT! We boarded our bus at around 0630 and headed to our PT site. We had the option to take either a 2-2-2 or a 1-1-1. I opted for the 1-1-1, since I had never taken a legit PT test to see how I stood. I did about as good as I was expecting. 46 push-ups, 43 sit-ups and a 6:34 mile time.
    After PT, we came back to our armory for breakfast chow. We then went back to the classroom for the last time and did a recap of our weekend, the AAR (after action report). We fell into final formation at about 1100. We were dismissed at 1130 to leave.
    Overall it was a good experience. It was my first real taste of the "military", with the Drill Sergeants, and discipline and what not...
    Just go into it with a good attitude and an eagerness to learn. You'll have fun and learn a lot at the same time!
Working...
X