X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not battle handed off!!

I was supposed to be battle handed off last RSP drill but my unit didn't show!! The RSP cadre haven't received any returned calls and neither have I from the unit. Completely irritating and irresponsible but it begs the question of what happens now? I'm stuck going to another RSP drill and stuck with a unit that won't communicate.

Re: Not battle handed off!!

Originally posted by ATLRecruit View Post
    I was supposed to be battle handed off last RSP drill but my unit didn't show!! The RSP cadre haven't received any returned calls and neither have I from the unit. Completely irritating and irresponsible but it begs the question of what happens now? I'm stuck going to another RSP drill and stuck with a unit that won't communicate.
    Now that you realize your unit doesn't revolve around you, get over being frustrated and try taking some initiative. If you can't get anyone on the phone, try going by the armory during the week. Tell them who you are and ask about a drill calendar. Once you've done that, talk to your RSP cadre about what you need from them so you can show up at your unit with all the right paperwork.

There are only so many hours in a given drill weekend and it can be difficult to get away from company business to pick up new privates. Your RSP Cadre could have driven you over to the armory just as easily as a unit representative could have shown up at RSP.
    Last edited by collk22; July 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Do you know where your unit is? If yes, go to them and figure it out.

You don't want to be stuck in an AWOL situation (even though it's not your fault, simply stating, "It's not my fault!" doesn't get you far in the Guard). Work with your RSP NCO on the weekday (sucks, but something you have to do). During drill he is too busy with other people.

edit: Collk beat me to the punch. But there you go OP...two legitimate answers from two different people who didn't know they were posting at the same time.

Comment

^- Indeed. You will get blasted if you aren't proactive, even if it is not your fault. You'll soon learn the administrative types can and will get off when they screw up and leave new soldiers to fend for themselves. I had the same thing happen when I transferred to a different state. Processed in and then I didn't even know who my unit was or who to contact (before the days of easily Googling something.) Get a call out of the blue from a readiness NCO maybe a week later threatening to "put me on active duty so fast" if I didn't show report within the next hour.
        Last edited by SteveLord; July 31st, 2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Utilize all your resources. Contact your Recruiter. He/She should have contact info for your unit. He can also contact the Recruiter for that unit who should have a good working relationship along with a drill schedule.

Is it possible your owning unit didn't show up and/or contact you due to Annual Training? It is that time of the year.

Comment

IDK about this whole "Battle Handed Off" thing, I just did my last RSP one month, then showed up to my unit drill the next.

Comment

Your company may have been at AT.

But I heard that they were going to make you a 56M....jk.

Comment

Just an FyI, he does need to be handed off from RSP, otherwise his pay will be screwed. If his RSP unit doesn't release him to his new unit, there is nothing they can do about stuff like pay, ext.

Get used to the idea that you have to follow up many times before things get done.

Bry

Comment

Originally posted by Bry View Post
                  Just an FyI, he does need to be handed off from RSP, otherwise his pay will be screwed. If his RSP unit doesn't release him to his new unit, there is nothing they can do about stuff like pay, ext.

Get used to the idea that you have to follow up many times before things get done.

Bry
                  A "hand off" by your RSP Cadre is no different than showing up by yourself and saying, "Hey, I'm new."

Comment

+1

When I got back from IET I went to my RSP Unit, did my Bonus Paperwork, and they said "see ya".

I think the whole battle handed off thing is more of a tradition than a necessity.

****White Phase****

Comment

Most of the above comments are correct. The "battle handoff" is more of a formality than anything else, sometimes I've seen them give awards. It is not a requirement and is basically just a way to kind of honor the new soldier(s).

My handoff consisted of meeting up coming home from BCT on the weekend, meeting up with one of my RSP cadre during that next week, them handing me a packet of files, and then showing up to my unit that following weekend.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X