X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be deployed while in RSP?

If I swore in at MEPS but still have a year of high school before I ship, can I be deployed for local emergencies without having attended any prior training? If so, how long do these deployments usually last?

I would really rather not miss any days of school because I'm still trying to keep my grades up and get in to college. I'm assuming if you're not on the payroll as an RSP recruit, you can't be deployed?

Re: Can you be deployed while in RSP?

Originally posted by NextElement View Post
    If I swore in at MEPS but still have a year of high school before I ship, can I be deployed for local emergencies without having attended any prior training? If so, how long do these deployments usually last?

I would really rather not miss any days of school because I'm still trying to keep my grades up and get in to college. I'm assuming if you're not on the payroll as an RSP recruit, you can't be deployed?
    You are on the payroll, and will get paid for RSP drills. They generally will never touch a troop for anything that has not graduated basic training. But if aliens invaded and the world was coming to an end, there is an exception to every rule.

Comment

The term deployed is usually reserved for leaving the continental United States like on a ship or flown to another country; not for leaving upstate New York to help a New York City disaster or from going to California to Texas lol.

Comment

Like I wrote countless times, I joined the military at 17 while in HS and they cannot deploy you if you are 17 and still in HS and only after you are AIT qualified. I am 47 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          Like I wrote countless times, I joined the military at 17 while in HS and they cannot deploy you if you are 17 and still in HS and only after you are AIT qualified. I am 47 now.
          The guard can and does allow non ait graduates to partake in paid activities inside of CONUS if they graduated basic.

Comment

Voluntary or obligated Mr Lawyer?

Comment

I highly doubt that a 17-20 yr old still in HS and in RSP will be mandated to lose class days to be forced to respond to an emergency. It all depends on the dynamic of the RSP Soldier that the leadership has to weigh.

your responses are well informed on law but not on reality in which your username is derived.

Comment

I highly doubt that a 17-20 yr old still in HS and in RSP will be mandated to lose class days to be forced to respond to an emergency. It all depends on the dynamic of the RSP Soldier that the leadership has to weigh.

your responses are well informed on law but not on reality in which your username is derived.
                Could they be forced..yes. Are they in reality..not usually. Did I imply they are forced...possibly but not what I meant.

You are in the active component. Times change. We use RSP guys on a regular for funeral detail and other events....because they are cheap.

Comment

Okay another question: If I reserve my 11B spot at an Armory 5 hours away, but my home town also has an armory, am I forced to go to the one far away for my RSP drill weekends? Or can I just go to the one in my hometown?

Comment

If your hometown armory has an 11B spot; then yes. Or you pick an MOS that your local armory has open. Remember a unit exists at your local armory and depending on that type of unit, it will have specific jobs (for example MP or Engineer unit). Do you understand? You just don't pick a job and drill at your closest station. Does not work that way.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 27th, 2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

If your hometown armory has an 11B spot; then yes. Or you pick an MOS that your local armory has open. Remember a unit exists at your local armory and depending on that type of unit, it will have specific jobs (for example MP or Engineer unit). Do you understand? You just don't pick a job and drill at your closest station. Does not work that way.
                      Okay the reason I was asking is because my armory is all MP and support I believe. The 11B spot I want is near where I would be going to college, that is why I was going to select it. I guess the drive is not that bad for one weekend a month, but I guess I could always wait for something a bit closer.

Comment

You just don't pick a job and drill at your closest station. Does not work that way.
                        He is asking about RSP drill. This can be worked out, but each state will be different.

OP, If you will be at home during RSP and want to drill closer the only advice is to talk to your recruiting and RSP staff. It can happen, but you are a newbie and sometimes these things require a little finesse.

Comment

Yes, times change and RSP is a different animal that I am not familiar with. I do recommend if you new in the Guard, that you pick a unit close as home as possible.

Comment

Copy that Chief, I'll try to stay within two hours.

Comment

Originally posted by NextElement View Post
                              Okay another question: If I reserve my 11B spot at an Armory 5 hours away, but my home town also has an armory, am I forced to go to the one far away for my RSP drill weekends? Or can I just go to the one in my hometown?
                              I'm in a unit at HQ that is 2-3 hours from my home of record. However, in the meantime I drill at the local armory with the RSP BN until I complete IET and get "handed off".

Hopefully, this has helped shed some light to your question.

Comment

Working...
                              X