X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP was a real eye opener for me

Ok so after reading through a few threads here I see that some people felt their RSP was useless. I guess it's different for everyone because we all live in different places. I saw a lot of people saying their RSP was really relaxed and easy. Well mine was the exact opposite. I go to a local Armory for my RSP and they are very strict. The first drill I attended, someone in blue phase was sitting on the wrong side of the room so the SFC made the whole platoon army crawl to the drill hall for corrective action PT. I found out that I'm not nearly in the physical shape that I thought I was, I need to run my ass off between now and August when I ship. RSP forces you to learn the Soldiers Creed/Warrior Ethos/Ranks, which means in basic you will be able to go to SLEEP while everyone else is up studying. If you're in really good shape then RSP probably isn't going to do anything for you besides the academic benefits. But if you don't run often, or can't even remember the last time you ran on your own, RSP is going to open your eyes and will show you exactly how you will do on your first PT test that you have to do at reception after you ship. The rigid discipline was more than I expected. I attend and have attended a military academy for all of my time in high school, and it isn't even 1/2 the amount of discipline compared to RSP. If you're not used to going through a long day full of PT, your body is going to hurt after RSP. My entire body hurt after going through Sat+Sunday. So yeah, hopefully this brief overview helps someone out. Oh, and remember to get a long night of sleep. I slept for 4.5 hours the first day, and definitely paid dearly for that.

Re: RSP was a real eye opener for me

Personally, I was already aware of my improvement areas when it came to the PT assessment. I'm in the same boat and ship in September, so I'm working on my physical readiness prior to BCT.

For mine it was a PT assessment, weigh in, shower, classroom/paperwork, chow, drill & ceremony, & dismissal for the day. The next day was a ruck march, combatives, pocket card training (9 line), chow, promotion ceremony, & dismissal.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Comment

I feel sorry for the people who don't have RSP experiences like you. That's why RSP is there, to prepare you! Glad you learned some things. You will both be very happy that you are in shape and know so much prior to BCT. Good luck to both of you!

Comment

After talking to many of our young Soldiers that have had RSP I decided that it would be a great place for a Soldier like myself. I enjoy mentoring and teaching and have plenty to add. I think you are probably correct when some of the RSP programs were not so useful. But keep in mind, one it can only be what you make of it and yes, sadly some programs will be better in areas then in others.

Comment

Working...
        X