Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pay and Experience

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
    If you drilled 8-9 june, and if they put in your pay immediatley after drill, you should see some cha ching in your bank account tommorrow.
    Originally posted by Fao Lafini View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know
    Mine happens to come in the following Friday after a pay/reporting period. So don't be surprised if it's not in there right away.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
      Mine happens to come in the following Friday after a pay/reporting period. So don't be surprised if it's not in there right away.
      Roger that

Comment

Originally posted by CallSign View Post
        I was surprised to learn that we actually got paid to be at RSP. I'm not one to bite the hand that feeds, but when I learned this, I was lead to believe that are pay was comparable to a drill weekend for our pay grade as a National Guard soldier. I've gone to 3 RSP weekends and each time my deposit has been around $150 instead of the $200-$240 range that's shown on the National Guard website. I've yet to have a chance to bring it up with my cadre since my thinking was that they were talking out money for my BCT/AIT insurance deposits, but after attending 3 drills, and receiving my pay 3 times, I don't know if it's because I'm not a soldier and still at RSP so the pay isn't as much, or if there is a legitimate issue that I need to address.

As for my RSP experience, so far it hasn't been what I thought it out to be. I give my cadre some slack, there a bit understaffed and keep getting called into meetings at inopportune times. But then we're left with only one or two instructors who're now, for lack of a better word, babysitting us and making sure we don't get into any trouble. I wouldn't give my grievances much weight since we're getting paid to "hang-out" but I've yet to have a RSP weekend that's been as enthralling as I've been told it was.
        When it comes to your pay, keep a close eye on it. The Army's pay system is fragile at best. At some point in your military career there will be errors. If the military owes you money, you'll get it....eventually. If you owe money, they'll take it in a heartbeat.

That being said, you should be receiving around $180 as an E-1. Check you pay stub and see how much is being deducted for SGLI (Life Insurance). Depending on the amount of coverage you chose, you could have anywhere from $3.50 to $27 per month taken out of your pay.

Concerning your RSP site and the training involved, much of it depends on the cadre. Each site differs but my best advice is to link up with a Battle Hand-Off and learn as much as you can from them. They're a far better resource than any Cadre.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
          ...That being said, you should be receiving around $180 as an E-1. Check you pay stub and see how much is being deducted for SGLI (Life Insurance). Depending on the amount of coverage you chose, you could have anywhere from $3.50 to $27 per month taken out of your pay.
          Also, depending on when you enlisted may determine how much SGLI comes out of your first pay. For example, if you enlisted a whole month prior to your first drill then look for a "debt" on the statement in addition to the SGLI. Basically, you had coverage from your enlistment date and owe Uncle Sam. So it's not uncommon to have double life insurance taken out along with taxes and get a $70 check for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
            Also, depending on when you enlisted may determine how much SGLI comes out of your first pay. For example, if you enlisted a whole month prior to your first drill then look for a "debt" on the statement in addition to the SGLI. Basically, you had coverage from your enlistment date and owe Uncle Sam. So it's not uncommon to have double life insurance taken out along with taxes and get a $70 check for the weekend.
            so if I enlisted last week of may, I got my 1st RSP this month and 1st ever pay 2-3 days ago (albeit drill pay - pay none the less), my SGLI is like $54, so i was paying insurance for both May and June??

Comment

Correct.

I really wish it weren't this way & highly advise all my enlistments to choose the minimum, $50k or opt out of SGLI all together. $27 per month is a lot to have taken out of a typical $200-ish paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito
                Thats the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. Some of these recruits may have a family member who depends on them for survival. SGLI is the ONLY insurance you will ever find that pays on all kinds of death, to include combat and suicide. Most importantly...do not give legal advice. As a recruiter, you should not be counseling recruits on such a topic. Unless you would like to be sued by the family of the deceased service member who received nothing because you told them to "opt out all together". Present the options, let them choose, do not coach, and/or refer to legal assistance.
                Says the guy who thinks it perfectly ok to lie at MEPS in regards to medical conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito
                  Thats the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard.
                  Really? You must not hear much advice.

FYI, I give my applicants my opinion, NOT legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                    Correct.

I really wish it weren't this way & highly advise all my enlistments to choose the minimum, $50k or opt out of SGLI all together. $27 per month is a lot to have taken out of a typical $200-ish paycheck.
                    On the positive side, it's only a one time hit & the subsequent months will be $27/month.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      Says the guy who thinks it perfectly ok to lie at MEPS in regards to medical conditions.
                      Euphemisms, metaphors, what-ifs and half-truths do not count lol.

Both of you have more in common that you know

Comment

Working...
                      X