X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay and Experience

I was surprised to learn that we actually got paid to be at RSP. I'm not one to bite the hand that feeds, but when I learned this, I was lead to believe that are pay was comparable to a drill weekend for our pay grade as a National Guard soldier. I've gone to 3 RSP weekends and each time my deposit has been around $150 instead of the $200-$240 range that's shown on the National Guard website. I've yet to have a chance to bring it up with my cadre since my thinking was that they were talking out money for my BCT/AIT insurance deposits, but after attending 3 drills, and receiving my pay 3 times, I don't know if it's because I'm not a soldier and still at RSP so the pay isn't as much, or if there is a legitimate issue that I need to address.

As for my RSP experience, so far it hasn't been what I thought it out to be. I give my cadre some slack, there a bit understaffed and keep getting called into meetings at inopportune times. But then we're left with only one or two instructors who're now, for lack of a better word, babysitting us and making sure we don't get into any trouble. I wouldn't give my grievances much weight since we're getting paid to "hang-out" but I've yet to have a RSP weekend that's been as enthralling as I've been told it was.

Re: Pay and Experience

Originally posted by CallSign View Post
    I was surprised to learn that we actually got paid to be at RSP. I'm not one to bite the hand that feeds, but when I learned this, I was lead to believe that are pay was comparable to a drill weekend for our pay grade as a National Guard soldier. I've gone to 3 RSP weekends and each time my deposit has been around $150 instead of the $200-$240 range that's shown on the National Guard website. I've yet to have a chance to bring it up with my cadre since my thinking was that they were talking out money for my BCT/AIT insurance deposits, but after attending 3 drills, and receiving my pay 3 times, I don't know if it's because I'm not a soldier and still at RSP so the pay isn't as much, or if there is a legitimate issue that I need to address.

As for my RSP experience, so far it hasn't been what I thought it out to be. I give my cadre some slack, there a bit understaffed and keep getting called into meetings at inopportune times. But then we're left with only one or two instructors who're now, for lack of a better word, babysitting us and making sure we don't get into any trouble. I wouldn't give my grievances much weight since we're getting paid to "hang-out" but I've yet to have a RSP weekend that's been as enthralling as I've been told it was.
    RSP is far from the real Army. Make the best of it. As far as your pay, the website lists GROSS pay. Welcome to adult life, you know pay taxes. Hence, your check is less. RSP vs NON RSP doesn't affect pay. It is always based on rank plus years of service. You can reference pay charts here.....

ww.dfas.mil

Comment

RSP is far from the real Army. Don't worry about it too much. As far as your pay, the website lists GROSS pay (just like every job in America). Welcome to adult life, you now pay taxes (NET PAY) hence your check is less. RSP doesn't effect pay, it is always based on rank plus years of service. You can reference paycharts here.....

www.dfas.mil

Comment

Check your MyPay, the money was probably deducted as taxes. The Drill pay on the website is of course, before taxes.

Comment

I haven't served in the Guard since 97, but I'm assuming pay is still based on drill duration. MUTA-5 for example (which is Friday to Sunday) paid more than a MUTA-4 (which was only Saturday to Sunday).

What duration are RSP drills that you attend? One day only? Two full days? That will make a difference in the pay. But I don't understand why your paychecks in RSP would be different than normal paychecks, in regards to showing gross pay as well as deductions and finally showing net pay at the bottom.

Comment

RSP is 99% of the time a MUTA-4. The discrepancy in your pay is most likely due to taxes and an SGLI election. Like it was said before you need to log into MyPay and check your LES.

Comment

Went on myPay, it was taxes. C'est la vie.

Comment

Went on myPay, it was taxes. C'est la vie.

You showed up for 2 days of work out of a 30 day time frame. How the hell much did you think you were going to earn?

Very, very, very few other jobs are going to let you sit around as much as RSP drill.

And no one is going to offer you the benefits you'll earn in the NG once you're MOS qualified.

Now, if taxes is what's bothering you, then wait till' you get deployed. You'll get every cent you earn.
                Last edited by VICEROY06; April 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Got my pay! It took 2 weeks. Doesn't matter to me how much I get but still happy now that I have gas money. LOL!

Comment

Don't get too full of yourself just yet. RSP drills are not designed to have you enthralled in some kind of "We Were Soldiers"/"Full Metal Jacket" type of environment. RSP drills are PURPOSEFULLY designed to give you a taste--merely a taste--of the basics like admin, APFTs and D&C and maybe even perhaps a little land nav. Wait till' you get downrange AFTER reception. Let's see what kind of tune you'll be whistling after you're done with BCT and AIT.
                    Last edited by VICEROY06; April 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Guyz, when do I set-up the myPay account (is there an email notification for it?).. I just recently activated my AKO account (enlisted 20130522).. My first ever drill was last June 8-9.. How do I know of my drill pay for that? -thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fao Lafini View Post
                        Guyz, when do I set-up the myPay account (is there an email notification for it?).. I just recently activated my AKO account (enlisted 20130522).. My first ever drill was last June 8-9.. How do I know of my drill pay for that? -thanks
                        Talk to your recruiter or RSP Cadre

Comment

tnx, probably will do that..

Comment

Originally posted by Fao Lafini View Post
                            tnx, probably will do that..
                            If you drilled 8-9 june, and if they put in your pay immediatley after drill, you should see some cha ching in your bank account tommorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                              If you drilled 8-9 june, and if they put in your pay immediatley after drill, you should see some cha ching in your bank account tommorrow.
                              Thanks, that's good to know

Comment

Working...
                              X