Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to attend RSP? I have to work weekends. Do I have to quit my job to join? :S

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to attend RSP? I have to work weekends. Do I have to quit my job to join? :S

My dilemma is I cant attend RSP before shipping to basic training because I have to work weekends. Is it possible to enlist and go straight to basic training without attending RSP? I know its not ideal since RSP is supposed to prep me for training. One option would be to find a job that doesn't require weekend work but those jobs are hard to come by. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Do I have to attend RSP? I have to work weekends. Do I have to quit my job to join? :S

It's a huge deal. RSP is IDT training, you get paid for it.

Your employer has to let you attend training. You need to let them know when your monthly training is.

RSP is not so much about you, as it is for the Guard to make sure you are administratively ready to begin your training.

This is a conversation you should be having with your Recruiter.

You are a soldier now, albeit a non-MOSQ soldier....
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Re: Do I have to attend RSP? I have to work weekends. Do I have to quit my job to join? :S

If you are graduated from high school they probably will try to quick ship you as soon as they can. Even so its only one weekend a month and you will be going BCT for 10 weeks and I think that would conflict with your job. But talk to your recruiter about it, he/she should be able to help you.

Comment

You TELL your employer, you don't ask them.

And prior to leaving, you should be able to go on a military LOA(leave of absence), and have your job waiting for you when you get back.

Comment

After you complete Basic and AIT, your unit of assignment will also drill on weekends. What's your plan for the next six years?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            After you complete Basic and AIT, your unit of assignment will also drill on weekends. What's your plan for the next six years?
            Very valid question...

Comment

Of course you have to go. Your enlisted buddy. AWOL is a serious crime. The military protects your job spot while your at drill. It is illegal for your employer to fire you for reasons pertaining to your military duty.

Comment

John208,

You will have to attend your RSP drills as they are part of contract. You are covered by the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). In short you must inform your employer of your days that include military obligation, but cannot receive negative action because of it. Your unit will provide appropriate documentation that will satisfy your employers inquires. This link will take you to the USERRA fact sheet http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm.

Comment

Working...
                X