X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max time in RSP?

So I've been looking through the archives on here and I did not find an answer to this question. I'm meeting with my recruiter this weekend and hope to talk about possible dates for BCT. I'm well aware it is likely too late to ship this summer, but I would really like to miss as little school as possible since I'm a teacher. I read a post in here about people who have been in RSP for upwards of 8 months. Is there a maximum length for how long a recruit can be in RSP before shipping out?

Re: Max time in RSP?

Originally posted by AbsInVA View Post
    So I've been looking through the archives on here and I did not find an answer to this question. I'm meeting with my recruiter this weekend and hope to talk about possible dates for BCT. I'm well aware it is likely too late to ship this summer, but I would really like to miss as little school as possible since I'm a teacher. I read a post in here about people who have been in RSP for upwards of 8 months. Is there a maximum length for how long a recruit can be in RSP before shipping out?
    When I joined it was 4 months maximum. I swore in on November 23, 2010 but was shipping to BCT on May 13, 2011. I was told that since that was longer than 4 months I would have to spend my first few months in an unpaid status (ING or Inactive National Guard). No drilling or pay, but I was in the guard and my contract was running. I then had to go back in January and swear in again, and sign that I was returning from the ING (RING). I was then able to go to RSP (and get paid) Feb, Mar and Apr (missed January drill since it was before I RING'ed and missed May since it was after I shipped). At the time I joined it was a recent change, and there were some people who had been in RSP since before I joined and were still there after I left. Also some people come back from BCT and because they are split-option attend RSP again until they go to AIT. Also some people come back from AIT when their unit is deployed, and they get to continue at RSP until their unit returns for them.

It is also possible that the rules change again.

Comment

I believe the limit is 24 months. I spent 13 months in the RSP program! It gets pretty boring after like 5 months and its pretty unmotivating spending so much time in it and seeing all your peers go to BCT/AIT and come back to their units...I recommend shipping as soon as you possibly can.

Comment

I thought I'd come back in and answer my own question for anyone else interested. I spoke to a recruiter today and he told me that I had to go to BCT within 360 days of enlisting.

Comment

Why is it too late for this summer? Today is March 4th. They could probably get you a BCT spot for this June if you work fast enough. When I enlisted I signed my papers the 2nd week of FEB and shipped at the end of March. I'm assuming you will be looking to be a Split-op since you are a teacher. It is much eaiser to get a BCT spot soon if you arent going directly to afterward.

And in my state we have had people in RSP for 18+ months. Usually its becasue they get injurred, can come close to passing the APFT, or family issues.

Comment

Typically, 24 RSP drills is the maximum limit, primarily due to the requirement for soldiers to become MOSQd within that time frame or become an entry level separation. How many drills prior to BCT, AIT ect is really case dependent as there are a variety of factors influencing this including state inconsistencies. I'm surprised you don't already have a ship date from MEPS/RSP to attend IADT. It isn't a difficult issue shipping recruits expeditiously.

Comment

I haven't been to MEPS yet because I still have to figure a lot of things out logistically. I have to talk to my employer and also make sure I have people to look after my pets and find someone to housesit my home for 10 weeks. My recruiter told me if I want to get a spot this summer I need to hurry up and get the paperwork in and be done by the end of the month and I still have a lot of decisions to make.

Thanks very much for the input though!

Comment

Sorry random question for a paper im writing what is the duration for BCT?

Comment

Originally posted by JROTCC/CorporalBrown View Post
                  Sorry random question for a paper im writing what is the duration for BCT?
                  Typicall 10 weeks, although you can be stuck in reception anywhere from a few days to weeks. I was there 2, so it was 12 overall.

This information would be available on Google....just saying.

Comment

ok is the one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer the RSP program?? or is that after the RSP? Do we do BCT during it ? I'm confused on what's what now. Or is the one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer not part of RSP and just part of the actual National Guard job? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread. I figured it would be better to ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by cmj141 View Post
                      ok is the one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer the RSP program?? or is that after the RSP? Do we do BCT during it ? I'm confused on what's what now. Or is the one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer not part of RSP and just part of the actual National Guard job? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread. I figured it would be better to ask here instead of starting a new thread.
                      You will not do a 2-week Annual Training (AT) period if you are still in RSP. You'll just continue drilling with RSP monthly until you ship to BCT.

AT comes after you are MOS qualified and have arrived at your actual unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X