X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP drill day before Shipout day?

I have a RSP drill on April 20th to the 21st but I ship out to Ft.Leonard Wood on April 22nd. Does anyone know If i would have to attend this drill being that it is so close to my ship out date? I asked my recruiter and she was not sure, I Plan on asking my Drill sergeant's next drill but in the meantime does anyone know or has anyone been through this situation before? Thanks everyone.

Re: RSP drill day before Shipout day?

When I went to register for RSP another recruit was with me and had the same question. They told him at the RSP office that he would need to attend but the cadre was sensitive to recruits who were next day shippers so they would allow them to leave early from RSP that Sunday so they could say their goodbyes. I would imagine this varies by command but just wanted to relay what I heard.

Comment

Hey SierraBravo, Thanks for the Info. I hope I don't have to go to drill the weekend before I ship but I will just ask the Drill Sergeant next drill.

Comment

I had a drill weekend before I shipped... I had to attend. As was said already, it varies from rsp to rsp no doubt. Hey, it's extra money, it'll help get you in the mind frame and you can go ahead and get used to the guard getting in the way of things you want to do.

Good luck!

Comment

Hey thanks NCGuard for the insight. And I am 100% committed to the Guard, so the Guard messing up a few weekends is something I can handle. I will definitely just ask the Drill Sergeants next Drill.

Comment

I had to attend RSP drill the weekend prior and shipped on the following Tues. morning. Believe me you'll get used to a lot tougher things than this very shortly. Think of your last RSP drill as an easy start to Basic. And the worst part of Basic is reception. Reception at Fort Jackson is like the Twilight Zone. And I've heard Leonard Wood is similar. But also remember life will gradually get better and you'll feel a lot better when you're all done with AIT. Even after graduating Basic you will feel ready for anything. I was in much better cardio shape leaving Basic than going in and that builds confidence.
            Last edited by Major General Discharge; February 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Mine worked out the same way, and they let me skip it. I had to go see my recruiter that Friday to make sure all my paperwork was in order, but they let me miss the drill.

Edit for clarifications: What I'm not saying is that you should expect to miss it and throw a fit if they make you go. What I am saying is that it's "METT-TC, Situation Dependent." Nearly every decision affecting you as a soldier will be made one or two levels above you. No two units operate the same way. Ask and see if you can get out of it. If they want you to go, show up and impress them with your motivation. Welcome to the Army.
              Last edited by Lance13A; February 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Yea I will just ask them when the time gets close, Also like NCguard Said above its free money and I will go and give it 100% if they make me but I much rather spend that weekend with family/friends. Thanks Lance and everyone else who answered my question.

Comment

I too had to attend RSP the weekend before I shipped, and this was a 4 hour drive (one way) for me. What it did do was ensure my packet was good to go and everything was squared away. This made my shipout day a painless process...well, until I arrived at RCBN anyway .

Comment

I have drill this weekend and i ship monday. I was told i'll only be there sat. for a while, then be released for the weekend. No i did not ask about this. I was told this will happen. I had no qualms with going as its easy money.

Comment

Working...
                    X