X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Army National Guard Recruit

My daughter will be turning 17 in 3 weeks. She is interested in the Guard, mainly as a way to avoid tremendous college loan debt. She is a very responsible young woman and I feel she will excell in the Guard, however I want this to be her decision and not made to feel that I am "pushing" her into it. Does anyone have any advice for someone in our position? She has never considered a career in the military until this became an option as a way to pay for college. She understands that in order to benefit from free tuition her service is required and she is willing to do the work.

Re: Potential Army National Guard Recruit

Originally posted by ambrosegrlz View Post
    My daughter will be turning 17 in 3 weeks. She is interested in the Guard, mainly as a way to avoid tremendous college loan debt. She is a very responsible young woman and I feel she will excell in the Guard, however I want this to be her decision and not made to feel that I am "pushing" her into it. Does anyone have any advice for someone in our position? She has never considered a career in the military until this became an option as a way to pay for college. She understands that in order to benefit from free tuition her service is required and she is willing to do the work.
    What type of job is she looking to do in the military? Maybe you know and maybe you don't, but the guard is made up of the Air Guard and the Army Guard, they each have some unique jobs, but will almost always have the same education benefits depending in state.

What state does she want to go to school in??

Comment

We live in Il. Her long term goal is Physical Therapy or something related to Sports Medicine/Rehab & Recovery. Her recruiter mentioned a few jobs in the service but we aren't sure about what direction she will take once enlisted. I've talked with Army and Air Guard recruiters but she is set on Army as her drills will be closer to home during her senior year.

Comment

My recommendation for you both is to find someone already doing what she plans to do, and talk to that Soldier and her family. That will help de-mystify the whole situation, and give you a frame of reference. Your daughter's recruiter can put you in touch.

I would also mention something about jobs in the National Guard. Many young people have a career goal (e.g., law enforcement), and pursue a Guard position (e.g., Military Police) based on their civilian career goal. While that's not necessarily a bad idea, I must mention that it's not the only way to skin the cat. Many people benefit from the interplay of having two careers, which gives them two realms of experience to draw from. While pursuing her civilian career in physical therapy, she could pursue something altogether different in the Guard. Many Soldiers find the Guard almost like a hobby, inasmuch as they get to do something completely different for two days per month.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I have her set up to talk to a woman I know who has been in the Guard for several years. I think my nerves are more frazzled than my daughters!!

Comment

Working...
          X