Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm attending my second drill in a few weeks and...

Do those hair rules apply during those once a month drills even though we are not in uniform? I have natural hair, and quite frankly, it's an afro! too short to put in a bun, but too long to just put a cap on it. I usually wear braids (micros are so small they're unhealthy to my curls!). Is a bob of braids too "trendy"? Braids that are longer in the front, with shorter braids in the back? I usually keep long box braids, but now I can't do that because my buns would be too large. Click image for larger version

Name:	6d25901e065ac26c8f9cc193efb19b75.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	371

Re: I'm attending my second drill in a few weeks and...

Yes. Uniform and Hair is outlined in AR 670-1. I have seen African-American women wear wigs most of the time as well. Your leaders will ensure your hair is in compliance.

Comment

Your leaders will ensure your hair is in compliance.
      Asking your chain of command is good advice. In my personal experience, it was less about having braids and more about how neat the Soldier looked and if they were able to properly wear their head gear.

Comment

Like what the rest of the members said, talk with your Chain of Command and Drill Cadre... The Army has their regulations but each unit has their own set rules and regulations. Some may allow it and some may not, if they do not then you just have to accept it, dress your hair properly, and just do as you are told.

Comment

Hey... I am natural too. Seems to be a dilema for me as well. I went to inprocessing on Thursday for RSP, and my hair was in small two strand twists. The SGT there said that they were fine since they did not fall below my collar, but when I go to bootcamp a DS may say that they are out of compliance?? SO ... as of now, my hair will be in twists whenever I go to RSP but Idk about for basic yet. Seems like straighbacks are the best option.

I definitely think for you, long box braids will not work. You could do box braids, but avoid using a ton of the bulk hair.. that way it can still be pulled into a tight and neat low bun. I dont wear extensions like that but the main issue it the thickness, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X