Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

    As the title may suggest, my Recruiter and parents want me to go ahead and get my GED before I ship. Would my ship date change? And would I ship on my date for Arkansas or Ft Benning (If I get my GED)?

    If this helps: I'm a 19D leaving for Arkansas for GED+ and then May for BCT.

  • #2
    Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

    quick question. What was the process you went through with your recruiter.

    My situation, I have no GED or diploma and I'm highly interested in the RSP. What forms did you have to fill out before you actually got all your ship dates and all that good stuff?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

      Originally posted by sida_bin View Post
      quick question. What was the process you went through with your recruiter.

      My situation, I have no GED or diploma and I'm highly interested in the RSP. What forms did you have to fill out before you actually got all your ship dates and all that good stuff?
      What happened with me was, my recruiter checked with his boss to see if it was offered in my state. It was so on my file that I took to MEPS, he said to get me a slot. When I went to MEPS and took my ASVAB, I had to take two mental evaluations (on computer). Once I was done with my ASVAB and Physical, I went to my liaison and he told me the jobs I qualified for. Once you pick, he tells you your date and you have to sign it a zillion times. Then, confirm it and with 3 or 4 people and get your finger prints taken and background check. Then, after you swear in, you confirm it and sign it one more time and you are official are now apart of the (insert your state) National Guard!

      Short answer: It's easy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

        Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
        As the title may suggest, my Recruiter and parents want me to go ahead and get my GED before I ship. Would my ship date change? And would I ship on my date for Arkansas or Ft Benning (If I get my GED)?

        If this helps: I'm a 19D leaving for Arkansas for GED+ and then May for BCT.
        I'm curious as to why your recruiter would put you into the GED Plus Program (a highly competitive program with limited slots) but then insist you get your GED on your own BEFORE attending? I can see where getting your GED outside of the program may enable you to ship out sooner. Is this what he is trying to do? Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have you go through the program if you already have your GED.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

          Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          I'm curious as to why your recruiter would put you into the GED Plus Program (a highly competitive program with limited slots) but then insist you get your GED on your own BEFORE attending? I can see where getting your GED outside of the program may enable you to ship out sooner. Is this what he is trying to do? Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have you go through the program if you already have your GED.
          Sorry, I didn't see where you replied to this!

          He doing this because the Army wants him to. It saves them money. If I get my GED, I don't go. It's up to me to get it beforehand. But if he wants me to, then I'm going to. I'm scared of my recruiter and really don't wanna say no. LOL.

          And see, that's what I'm wondering. If I get it, do I ship earlier (which I'd rather not)? Or on my "report to OSUT" date?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

            Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
            Sorry, I didn't see where you replied to this!

            He doing this because the Army wants him to. It saves them money. If I get my GED, I don't go. It's up to me to get it beforehand. But if he wants me to, then I'm going to. I'm scared of my recruiter and really don't wanna say no. LOL.

            And see, that's what I'm wondering. If I get it, do I ship earlier (which I'd rather not)? Or on my "report to OSUT" date?
            Well, word of advice, don't let someone bully you into making decisions that are not of your choice. Seriously, you'll meet guys like that ALL the time throughout your military career. But the fact is, no one will care about your career more than you, so be sure to stand up and do what's best for YOU, not anyone else.

            OK, off the soapbox there. It looks like you are given the opportunity to either get your GED on your own (paid for out of your own pocket, I'm assuming. Something to consider). Or having the Military PAY you to get it. I'll let you connect the dots on that one....

            Honestly, it really will come down to what you want to do. Do you want to ship out sooner? Then get in there and get your GED. If that is irrelevant and you're already slotted for the GED Plus Program, my personal opinion, is why not do that?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

              Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Well, word of advice, don't let someone bully you into making decisions that are not of your choice. Seriously, you'll meet guys like that ALL the time throughout your military career. But the fact is, no one will care about your career more than you, so be sure to stand up and do what's best for YOU, not anyone else.

              OK, off the soapbox there. It looks like you are given the opportunity to either get your GED on your own (paid for out of your own pocket, I'm assuming. Something to consider). Or having the Military PAY you to get it. I'll let you connect the dots on that one....

              Honestly, it really will come down to what you want to do. Do you want to ship out sooner? Then get in there and get your GED. If that is irrelevant and you're already slotted for the GED Plus Program, my personal opinion, is why not do that?
              I'm really being bullied. My recruiter and parents are wanting me to get it earlier, though. And like my parents said, their has to be a reason. He gave me a choice and he is paying for it himself.

              Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I got a slot. At first, he told me our state didn't have it anymore. He said he would help me get my regular GED and then enlisted. He double checked and his boss said we still had some slots here. I have had to jump though some loops and work my butt off to even be able for MEPS to take me. Consider how long I've known my recruiter, my dad has worked with him, and how much he has helped the kids and community, and has been in the military for over 20 years (Navy and National Guard), if my recruiter says I need to do this, then I believe it's important.

              That's why I'm doing it. But back to my original Q: Do you think my shipdate will change?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                Will it change if you get the GED on your own? It's more of an option since your current shipdate is based on the GED Plus Program slot...right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                  Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  Will it change if you get the GED on your own? It's more of an option since your current shipdate is based on the GED Plus Program slot...right?
                  I'm guessing so? I says that I leave for my Reception Batt. in April (The GED+) and then my OSUT report date is the end of May.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                    Well, it sounds like you need to get clarification from your recruiter. This is information that you should be very clear on. If you are getting pressure from different directions, my advice is to slow everyone down and have them be very clear on the differences between your options. And then have them repeat it if you still don't get it. Don't step into your commitment not knowing what you're committing to.

                    Good luck!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                      Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                      Well, it sounds like you need to get clarification from your recruiter. This is information that you should be very clear on. If you are getting pressure from different directions, my advice is to slow everyone down and have them be very clear on the differences between your options. And then have them repeat it if you still don't get it. Don't step into your commitment not knowing what you're committing to.

                      Good luck!
                      Thank you. My recruiter was supposed to contact me yesterday, but he didn't. I texted him today. I'm pretty clear on everything except what happen with my shipdate after I get my GED.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                        Well the GED Plus program -has- to be completed prior to shipping to BCT. If you secure your GED prior to you initial ship date (April), that would eliminate the need for you to go to Camp Robinson.

                        If that occurs you may or may not get to ship to BCT earlier. There is a possibility, but your recuiter would have to send you back to MEPS (only after you get your GED that is) to see if you could secure an earlier ship date. It would just depend on what's available that very day you go back since slots fluctuate.

                        Of course the kicker here is where are you today? Are you close to getting your GED already or have you not even started? The plus of the GED+ program is you get paid to go get it and knock it out in 22 days along with getting prepped for BCT.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Will my BCT shipdate change if I do not go to the GED Plus Program?

                          Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                          Well the GED Plus program -has- to be completed prior to shipping to BCT. If you secure your GED prior to you initial ship date (April), that would eliminate the need for you to go to Camp Robinson.

                          If that occurs you may or may not get to ship to BCT earlier. There is a possibility, but your recuiter would have to send you back to MEPS (only after you get your GED that is) to see if you could secure an earlier ship date. It would just depend on what's available that very day you go back since slots fluctuate.

                          Of course the kicker here is where are you today? Are you close to getting your GED already or have you not even started? The plus of the GED+ program is you get paid to go get it and knock it out in 22 days along with getting prepped for BCT.
                          I'm not actually wanting to get an earlier ship date. I'm was wondering if I would. I really need to prepare for BCT. Especially after Drill last weekend.

                          I do like that, but my recruiter is really pushing me for this and says he wants to take me the second week of February.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X