Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if i have a mild intellectual disability

can i join the national guard army please answer me

Re: if i have a mild intellectual disability

Fill out the application @ nationalguard.com!!!!!

Comment

The Pre-test on Path to Honor will tell you how well you would do on the Armed Forces Apptitude Test (APFT). That tells the Armed Forces your trainability on the Apptitude side. They haven't figured out a test for heart yet!

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
        The Pre-test on Path to Honor will tell you how well you would do on the Armed Forces Apptitude Test (APFT). That tells the Armed Forces your trainability on the Apptitude side. They haven't figured out a test for heart yet!
        APFT stands for "Army Physical Fitness Test."

The test you are referring to is the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).

Comment

Originally posted by jose View Post
          can i join the national guard army please answer me
          What is your "mild" disability? Some are a disqualification, even if you are highly functional.

Comment

my disability is just in a summury slow learner but i will learn

Comment

dnt get the way that disquillfing

Comment

I went through with a guy while at Ft Benning. He scored a perfect 100 on his ASVAB. He was a genius on paper, however, out in the field he had two left hands, two left feet, and he was colorblind. But he graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                  He scored a perfect 100 on his ASVAB.
                  He lied to you. The highest possible AFQT score is 99, because it is a percentile rank.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lafqtscore.htm

Incidentally, the cutoff for achieving the 99th percentile on the AFQT is far below a "perfect" score of 320.

Comment

Originally posted by jose View Post
                    my disability is just in a summury slow learner but i will learn
                    That still doesn't target exactly WHAT your disability is. This is an arbitrary description, so I can't provide you with any other advice than to take an ASVAB test to see how you do, and to disclose any medical issues to your recruiter.

Comment

I am finishing up my master's degree in special education now and just finished a class on intellectual disabilities.
                      Rycass: Intellectual Disability IS the disability. It is an actual disability. There are different degrees of it but that is the actual diagnosis.

"Intellectual disability is a term used when a person has certain limitations in mental functioning and in skills such as communicating, taking care of him or herself, and social skills. These limitations will cause a child to learn and develop more slowly than a typical child.

Children with intellectual disabilities (sometimes called cognitive disabilities or mental retardation) may take longer to learn to speak, walk, and take care of their personal needs such as dressing or eating. They are likely to have trouble learning in school. They will learn, but it will take them longer. There may be some things they cannot learn."
                      Taken from a website:
                      National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities:
                      http://nichcy.org/disability/specific/intellectual#def

From my own paper:
                      "The individuals with Disabilities Act defines mental retardation as “significantly subaverage general intellectual functioning existing concurrently with deficits in adaptive behavior and manifested during the developmental period that adversely affects a child’s educational performance.”(Heward, 132) The American Association on Mental Retardation has replaced the term mental retardation with intellectual disability. Intellectual disability begins before the age of 18 and includes significant limitations in both intellectual functioning and in adaptive behavior of social, conceptual and adaptive skills.(Heward, 133) Students with mild MR tend to do well in school up to about the sixth grade and can learn life and job skills to live an independent life. (Heward, 139) Children with moderate MR show significant delays in their development as well as in school and are more likely to have health and behavioral problems. (Heward, 140) Children with severe MR have significant delays, significant central nervous system damage, and many have additional disabilities and/or health conditions. (Heward, 140) Mental retardation can be traced to hundreds of different reasons but the majority of MR cases have a genetic cause. (Heward, 142)
                      Last edited by robinpugs06; December 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

If you ask me, all signs point to a big fat NO.

And robinpugs, I can't help but chuckle a little bit at the fact that you announce you have some education on the subject, then follow up with what looks like a copy/paste of the explanation from another website....and don't reference it as the source at least. Not hatin. Just noticed that.
                        Last edited by SteveLord; December 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          If you ask me, all signs point to a big fat NO.

And robinpugs, I can't help but chuckle a little bit at the fact that you announce you have some education on the subject, then follow up with what looks like a copy/paste of the explanation from another website....and don't reference it as the source at least. Not hatin. Just noticed that.
                          I just did a paper on this exact subject so I used the definition I got from a website I used in my paper- yes. I have added the website to my above post - sorry that I left it out of the first one. How do you get educated on a subject without doing research? I was passing on the information I learned in my classes - which is from a reliable source and not just my word - which I have gotten crap on this forum for doing before. I was informed that I must state how I have knowledge of what I am responding to as well as give credible sources to back up my knowledge. Would you like me to post my paper as well? How about my transcript?

To the OP:
                          I would talk to a recruiter. Explain to him/her your limitations and accommodations needed. Your recruiter will know better if you are eligible. Depending on the severity of your ID, you could be successful in the military. Some of the things that you will be asked - and you don't have to answer here - are, have you ever been on medications for your ID? Were you able to finish high school with little to no accommodations? What are your limitations in reference to learning as well as daily living skills? Can you pass the ASVAB? Can you pass the educational portions of basic and AIT without accommodations?
                          I am in no way a recruiter or a master on ID but, I have worked with quite a few kids with varying degrees of ID so I really think it depends on the severity as well as the questions I asked above.
                          Last edited by robinpugs06; December 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            He lied to you. The highest possible AFQT score is 99, because it is a percentile rank.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lafqtscore.htm

Incidentally, the cutoff for achieving the 99th percentile on the AFQT is far below a "perfect" score of 320.
                            I was paraphrasing sir. I don't remember the exact number but he scored pretty near perfect. He had a good heart and meant well. However, he was the kind of guy that could work quantum mechanics in his sleep but couldn't tie his boots or perform a correct push-up to save his life.
                            Last edited by VICEROY06; December 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

yes my disability i am taking taks m in high school from texas its a modified test samething but easier sentence structure look at a sample online of the test i dont take medication my behavior normal never have gotten in trouble just takes longer to learn i get tested at same level talked to a recruiter and got rejected want to be millatary police always wanted to do that but can i use a waiver

Comment

Working...
                              X