Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlisted this week and ready (but nervous) about my first RSP drill.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enlisted this week and ready (but nervous) about my first RSP drill.

Originally posted by Tacey Whittemore View Post
    Hi Austin, I've gone to three drills so far and I only have one more to go before I ship. I'm going to tell you a few things that hopefully you find helpful and will make your first RSP a little less intimidating. First of all your first drill the sergeants will go a little easier on you (but not to easy, you're in the Army now) since you are learning the ropes but they expect you to know everything your second drill so pay attention! You're going to start out as Red Phase and most of your day will be classroom stuff as they tell you all the things you need to know, but you will also do your 1-1-1. Try getting into a work out regiment because it only gets more difficult next drill.

Double check with your recruiter because it might vary, but come in PT clothes and shoes and be sure not to wear ankle socks, the sergeants hate that. Also be sure you shave and have your hair cut if you need it. You'll get a Battle Book that will have PT tips and info on top of the forum page that was linked earlier. Don't put off your Stripes for Skills either since that will be a big help! And don't call sergeants 'sir' either; just a fyi.

So have fun at RSP and try and absorb everything.
    Yes, Sir! And i'll be forcing myself from "sir" to "insert rank here"

Comment

If you have any ?'s regarding strength and conditioning, feel free to shoot me a PM

Comment

I recently went to my first RSP drill. While it was a little intimidating and somewhat challenging you will find that it will be rewarding after you're done and there wasn't anything to worry about. If your drill goes anything like mine, your fellow "future soldiers" will be keeping an eye on you to make sure you don't goof and get everybody smoked. Good luck!

Comment

In uniform already? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            In uniform already? Lol
            Our RSP unit makes sure to get everybody into ACU's pretty quick to avoid looking silly at initial training, so yes sir.

Do you ever get used to wearing them?

Comment

When I was in RSP we had really cheap wind breakers made in China....hahaha....and tight fitting shorts

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
                Our RSP unit makes sure to get everybody into ACU's pretty quick to avoid looking silly at initial training, so yes sir.

Do you ever get used to wearing them?
                Since I am active; I have to wear them everyday so yes it gets a little tiring. Also, I just returned from a 9-month deployment so it was just my multicams and PTs. If we were to wear any civilian type of sleeping clothes like PJs; we had to remain in our quarters to wear them.

When you are new to the military; everyone gets the fever to wear the uniform. Totally normal.

Comment

^ Don't forget taking dozens of pictures of yourself in the mirror while wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    When I was in RSP we had really cheap wind breakers made in China....hahaha....and tight fitting shorts
                    Ha...yes the Blue Wind Breakers...the guys back from BCT with their ACUs call us the "Blue Falcons." And those shorts...I told my recruiter they would be perfect if I worked at Hooters!!!

Comment

I'm extremely excited to get to where my first ACU's. I was told I won't get them at RSP but only at Reception I'm just sad I'm 7 years late to the BDU with rolled sleeves party.

I'm jealous of the Marines for two reasons... 1. They got to use the 1911 for way longer and I heard that they're switching to the .45 Baby Deagle and 2. They get to roll their sleeves.

Comment

It's actually against regs now in the Marines to roll your sleeves. It was due to the burns that were being sustained during IED attacks. This would lead to amputations of the arms so they got rid of the rolling of the sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by JJRhodes View Post
                          It's actually against regs now in the Marines to roll your sleeves. It was due to the burns that were being sustained during IED attacks. This would lead to amputations of the arms so they got rid of the rolling of the sleeves.
                          Interesting! I did read that somewhere, but I heard some weren't going to (typical Marine big talk).

Comment

RSP drills are mostly fun. Its all about attitude. RSP drills are an opportunity to get ahead and learn before you ship. I only had 3 before I leave in a few days. Theyre pretty fun and really instructional. First drill you will be Red phase and guided through a learning process. The drill will show you where you are physically. You will want to work on all those tasks. Mostly running. RSP they will explain more too you and why. You will want to cut down that run time. Dont stress so much, just work at your own pace for now and at the RSP drill, one of the days, there will be an Army Physical Fitness Test and you will see where you are at. Enjoy!

Comment

RSP is definitely one of the best things about The Guard that no other service offers. It's an amazing resource, gets you started in addressing superiors, stances, marches, squad tactics, basically anything they teach you in BCT (from what I've heard I'm shipping in 6 days for FLW for 17 weeks-88M) you'll already have a lead on others that aren't ARNG. All the Sergeants were great, supportive, rough, and understanding. They won't baby you, especially during HURT training. I don't know if other RSP's had HURT but in Toledo, Ohio we did and some recruit brought chewing tobacco one time, Now that's a hell of a story all on it's own. But RSP is amazing, I was always excited for it. I've been enlisted since June(ish) and I honestly can't think of a single negative thing to say about my experience so far... Besides being denied 31B for a headlight and seat belt ticket December of 2011, Come on now. lol But Best of luck to all of you in RSP, shipping to BCT/AIT, and those beating me to a deployment date, and welcome to the family...Can't wait to Voluntarily Deploy, Sergeants always tell me it's weird to be as excited as I am about it. haha

HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by WeltonBree2012 View Post
                                RSP drills are mostly fun. Its all about attitude. RSP drills are an opportunity to get ahead and learn before you ship. I only had 3 before I leave in a few days. Theyre pretty fun and really instructional. First drill you will be Red phase and guided through a learning process. The drill will show you where you are physically. You will want to work on all those tasks. Mostly running. RSP they will explain more too you and why. You will want to cut down that run time. Dont stress so much, just work at your own pace for now and at the RSP drill, one of the days, there will be an Army Physical Fitness Test and you will see where you are at. Enjoy!

20130114 FLW? I'm leaving then for BCT/AIT 17 weeks for 88M..

Comment

Working...
                                X