Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Enlisted this week and ready (but nervous) about my first RSP drill. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisted this week and ready (but nervous) about my first RSP drill.

Hello, everyone. As of Friday, I'm a 19D awaiting my ship date for OSUT on 20130429. I'll be attending (roughly) four RSP drills. I'm a little nervous I'll screw up, not be able to figure something out, or bomb the 1-1-1. It's just nerves because I was worried about MEPS, but the mistake that happened was them. Also, it got pretty route after 13 hours.

As for RSP: I don't really know what to aspect. I know I'll be given the 1-1-1, just to see how I'm doing. I can do about 20 push-ups, 25 sit-ups, and (pushing it) a 10 minute mile. Is this going to be a problem? Or am I just worried?

And I'm going to go ahead and ask this here so I don't clutter too many sections: What are some PT drills I can do to help improve not only for RSP, but also OSUT?

Thank y'all in adavance!

Re: Enlisted this week and ready (but nervous) about my first RSP drill.

You can check out the Health and Fitness forum for some insight.

One thing you can't go wrong with though, is to literally just practice doing pushups, situps and running.

Comment

What rank did you enlist as? You need to try and pick up as much rank as you can before you ship.

Nothing to be nervous about....everyone in the Guard has to take the same journey at some time. Just soak it all in, don't be afraid to ask questions. Learn some customs and courtesies, the general orders, the rank structure, the soldier's creed and such......and you will be ahead of the game. The purpose of RSP is that people don't quit before they ship, and it's there to get you administratively correct for basic.....so you don't get there and for instance not get paid.

They will put you in a group that is your speed. Remember if someone puts you on the spot it's not personal, take correction as an encouragement.

Yes running a 10:00 mile is disastrous, you need to be running a 8:30. I'd be out exercising twice a day till you can hit 8:30/mile. They are going to smoke you so much you will be in great shape by AIT.....Yes you need to be exercising, you have to want it bad....from the belly. Above all else do not hurt yourself before you ship. Nothing to worry about, maintain your composure......and take care of your people.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        You can check out the Health and Fitness forum for some insight.

One thing you can't go wrong with though, is to literally just practice doing pushups, situps and running.
        This is the gospel truth.......the APFT allows for 10 minutes between events and you do pushups- then situps 2 min worth, then you run 2 mile. So you can do 1-1-1, instead, pushups, situps, run.
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          What rank did you enlist as? You need to try and pick up as much rank as you can before you ship.

Nothing to be nervous about....everyone in the Guard has to take the same journey at some time. Just soak it all in, don't be afraid to ask questions. Learn some customs and courtesies, the general orders, the rank structure, the soldier's creed and such......and you will be ahead of the game. The purpose of RSP is that people don't quit before they ship, and it's there to get you administratively correct for basic.....so you don't get there and for instance not get paid.

They will put you in a group that is your speed. Remember if someone puts you on the spot it's not personal, take correction as an encouragement.

Yes running a 10:00 mile is disastrous, you need to be running a 8:30. I'd be out exercising twice a day till you can hit 8:30/mile. They are going to smoke you so much you will be in great shape by AIT.....Yes you need to be exercising, you have to want it bad....from the belly. Above all else do not hurt yourself before you ship. Nothing to worry about, maintain your composure......and take care of your people.
          I enlisted as an E-1, sir. My recruiter said he's going to get me to E-3 by saying I got some guys to enlist. And he said he's going to, so I'll bug him until he does. Before my friend left for Basic and we were running a lot, I once hit a 8:00. When we comes for Christmas Exodus, he was going to some "high-speed" workouts to help me get ready.

And I've come a long way. I used to weight 255+ lbs., at MEPS I weighed in at 171 (Kinda high since I slacked off and when my buddy left)

This is a life long dream 18 years in the making. I just don't want to screw it up.

Also, thank y'all for the help!

Comment

Yeah you need to get promoted for $$$ sake. Stripes for skills, and get some people to join. Otherwise you will have to slog it out through the ranks.

Comment

Congrats on your enlistment, I am also enlisted as a 19D. I ship a few weeks before you. I am headed to jackson then benning.

Following suit with what everyone has said so far, try to get promotion through stripes for skills, and passing the 2222 test.

Check this out to help with your pushups http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.DWuW77ov.dpbs

Comment

To add to all the great input, I would also encourage you to take a look at the RSP section on the National Guard website. It will give you a general run down of what you can expect while attending RSP.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'm going to try my best to get E-3 before I leave. I do NOT wanna be a fuzzy. xD

I also found my PT booklet the Active Army recruiter gave me, so I'm going to start that.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
                    Thanks, guys! I'm going to try my best to get E-3 before I leave. I do NOT wanna be a fuzzy. xD

I also found my PT booklet the Active Army recruiter gave me, so I'm going to start that.
                    Great! Good luck with your training.

Comment

Sounds like you've got the right attitude to succeed, not just at RSP and OSUT, but in the Army and life in general. Like others have said, just keep working hard to improve your pushups and situps, and run as often as you can. You'll run so much at BCT that you'll have that run time down before you know it, as well. I ran an 8:30 mile in our first 1-1-1 at BCT, and was down to sub-14 minute 2-miles by the end.

Comment

I understand that the thought of RSP is a little intimidating as it will most likely be your first taste of the military. Once you get there and your nerves settle, RSP is actually is a lot of fun and a great learning resource!! I just finished my 2nd RSP drill this past weekend and cant wait to get back in January.
                        As for the PT, you have to take control and discipline yourself...nobody is going to do it for you. I lap guys on the track that are almost half my age (I'm 31) and it's not due to luck or great athletic ability, I just bust my butt every week running and weight training so I remain in excellent physical condition.

Good luck and maintain that positive attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by knelson View Post
                          Sounds like you've got the right attitude to succeed, not just at RSP and OSUT, but in the Army and life in general. Like others have said, just keep working hard to improve your pushups and situps, and run as often as you can. You'll run so much at BCT that you'll have that run time down before you know it, as well. I ran an 8:30 mile in our first 1-1-1 at BCT, and was down to sub-14 minute 2-miles by the end.
                          Thank you, Lieutenant! My cousin (Ex-Army Medic, Iraq War Veteran) said that. I'm not totally sure it's true, but hearing people saying that about my attitude really motivate me.

Also, I ran today. I was pretty disappointed. I really regret not running these past three months. But, oh well. Just gotta work hard to get back to where I was and then even better. Hopefully, muscle memory will take over and it won't take as long.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkrmoon View Post
                            I understand that the thought of RSP is a little intimidating as it will most likely be your first taste of the military. Once you get there and your nerves settle, RSP is actually is a lot of fun and a great learning resource!! I just finished my 2nd RSP drill this past weekend and cant wait to get back in January.
                            As for the PT, you have to take control and discipline yourself...nobody is going to do it for you. I lap guys on the track that are almost half my age (I'm 31) and it's not due to luck or great athletic ability, I just bust my butt every week running and weight training so I remain in excellent physical condition.

Good luck and maintain that positive attitude.
                            I'm glad someone understands my feelings! Haha

I definitely will take control of this and do my best. I mean, I can't let a 31 year-old beat out a 18 year-old! Haha

Comment

Hi Austin, I've gone to three drills so far and I only have one more to go before I ship. I'm going to tell you a few things that hopefully you find helpful and will make your first RSP a little less intimidating. First of all your first drill the sergeants will go a little easier on you (but not to easy, you're in the Army now) since you are learning the ropes but they expect you to know everything your second drill so pay attention! You're going to start out as Red Phase and most of your day will be classroom stuff as they tell you all the things you need to know, but you will also do your 1-1-1. Try getting into a work out regiment because it only gets more difficult next drill.

Double check with your recruiter because it might vary, but come in PT clothes and shoes and be sure not to wear ankle socks, the sergeants hate that. Also be sure you shave and have your hair cut if you need it. You'll get a Battle Book that will have PT tips and info on top of the forum page that was linked earlier. Don't put off your Stripes for Skills either since that will be a big help! And don't call sergeants 'sir' either; just a fyi.

So have fun at RSP and try and absorb everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X