X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardsmen For A Day

Hey everyone. I have a question. I am doing Guardsmen for a day in a few weeks and my recruiter didnt tell me much. I just wanted to know what should i expect on the schedule, What should I pack, what should I wear, ect? P.S. Im in JROTC, would it be appropriate to pack my PT gear?

Re: Guardsmen For A Day

I have no idea, it depends on what type of unit you go to....some drills are very very boring such as those to keep the soldiers administratively correct, along with hours of briefings. You may watch the unit do a PHA.....

In DEC there could be a meal and that's it. But it's whatever is on the training schedule. During the summer AT would be a good time to check out the guard. But even you you go on a down weekend you will still get to see what it's like. It's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambro View Post
      Hey everyone. I have a question. I am doing Guardsmen for a day in a few weeks and my recruiter didnt tell me much. I just wanted to know what should i expect on the schedule, What should I pack, what should I wear, ect? P.S. Im in JROTC, would it be appropriate to pack my PT gear?
      Hi Warrior,

Just show up wearing something comfortable and tennis shoes. I wore a t-shirt with khaki shorts and tennis shoes at my first RSP. I packed 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of underwear, 1 pair of tennis shoes, 2 shirts (without logos), deoderant, a $.99 bottle of shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, sleeping bag, and chapstick. Be sure to have PT gear also just in case. They should issue you a uniform to wear while you are in RSP.

On Friday night you should expect to stand in line for about 5 hours as you process in. We were given instructions and stood at parade rest with our equipment. When you get to the processing table you will hand in anything not allowed (cell phones, chapstick, electronics, weapons, etc.) and they will give it back after drill. If you do not hand it in and they find it 15 min. later when you are shaking down on your cot, you'll regret being dishonest when you had a free chance to put it in storage. Also, they do not feed you friday night, so eat before you attend. I also shaved Friday night since I have no body hair and didn't have to shave saturday morning.

Saturday you are up about 4am change into PT gear. You put away all the cots and then you do PT for a couple hours, shower and then change into your uniform. After that you setup for breakfast, stand in formation for an hour, eat for 15 min. you clean up chow and put everything away. Then you break into classes dependent upon your phase. Then you head to classes or whatever your cadre has planned for the weekend. Lunch in the middle of the day (same setup breakdown formation procedure), more classes with your phase. Then setup, dinner, tear down. After that you have classes again and once you are done with classes about 9pm you have an hour to get ready for bed and it's generally lights out at 10-11pm. It depends on the RSP and what mood they are in. Squad leaders or PG's will assign fire duty also, so be prepared for that.

Sunday you wake up and do the same thing, they say there is chapel but it must be a mental place you go because we just did PT from when we woke up (15 min. break for breakfast), till we went to shippers brief about 11am. You get out of shippers brief about 12:05 and you are five minutes late to final formation and you are getting yelled at ( i think they do this on purpose). Then you get in final formation, awards are handed out, and you are dismissed. Then you run back in and get all your stuff out of the drill floor before you get in more trouble.

I am sure I left some stuff out but plan on a lot of formation in the morning, mid day, afternoon, night, and whenever they feel like it.

I always enjoyed it. Just make sure you answer everyone by their rank and don't lean on any walls.

Have fun!

Comment

Thank you for the good answer Focouser1.

Comment

Working...
        X