X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP Woes - Are all states this cheap?

I''ve had 3 months of RSP drills and I'm questioning my decision about joining. I only have a few more RSP drill left, and I know I should just stick with it. But honestly the drills are so very boring, and the cadre don't take things seriously at all. If I would have known about RSP, I would have picked an immediate ship date.

A few other more minor annoyances:
    -I drive almost two hours to get to drill (I drive past my units location)
    -The state can't get RSP ACU's issued? We have soldiers that have been in RSP for 8 months that don't have uniforms.
    -They expect soldiers to memorize a litany of things from the battle book, but are to cheap to spend the 10 bucks for a battle book?

More or less are all of the states this cheap?

Re: RSP Woes - Are all states this cheap?

Originally posted by 24601 View Post
    I''ve had 3 months of RSP drills and I'm questioning my decision about joining. I only have a few more RSP drill left, and I know I should just stick with it. But honestly the drills are so very boring, and the cadre don't take things seriously at all. If I would have known about RSP, I would have picked an immediate ship date.

A few other more minor annoyances:
    -I drive almost two hours to get to drill (I drive past my units location)
    -The state can't get RSP ACU's issued? We have soldiers that have been in RSP for 8 months that don't have uniforms.
    -They expect soldiers to memorize a litany of things from the battle book, but are to cheap to spend the 10 bucks for a battle book?

More or less are all of the states this cheap?
    To your concerns:

--Your drive: Let's be honest. A two hour commute is grueling, but you only have to do it one weekend a month. Not to mention, you only have 3 months left of this before your commute gets much better. I wouldn't let this be a reason to question your commitment. Are other states like this? Not necessarily, but it's not uncommon for Soldier's to drive MORE than 2 hours to a unit location every drill weekend. Many choose to do this because they want the benefits/job opportunities afforded in a particular unit. Bottom line, it's all perspective. You can either hate it or find the benefits to your drive.

--Your uniform: It is not a requirement (in other words, a "right") to be issued a uniform during RSP. The fact is, most states CAN'T afford to dress RSP Soldiers before they reach their training site. Furthermore, you'll receive everything you need when you attend BCT and then again when you get to your unit. As stated above, this comes down to how you choose to look at things. You can either hate it, or adopt a positive attitude and accept it for what it is. Personally, when I read comments like this, my first question is "why is it so important to you that you have a uniform at this point? What's your motivation?" You're going to get them soon enough, so I encourage you to be patient, and not let it darken your experience as a Soldier.

--And last, your pre-training learning. All I will say about this is that you will get in return what you put into your enlistment. You will learn very quickly that there will be times where you will have a lot of down time to wait for instructions between missions. The theme here is that you can either hate it or embrace it as an opportunity to work on your leadership skills. There are so many resources online that are absolutely free. I would encourage you to use those if your RSP unit doesn't have the budget to provide you will all your learning tools (you'll get a Soldier handbook in BCT, btw, and PLENTY of time to memorize it). If you have free time, I would encourage you to work with your fellow Soldiers and have study sessions, practice sessions, drill and ceremony practices.

Bottom line, a negative attitude is not productive. There are things you can do to make your experience better, but attitude is key.

Comment

I'm currently in RSP with one drill left before I ship. I don't have as much of a drive as you (just a little over an hour for me), but on the way back it can be upwards of 3 because of traffic. It may just be your individual RSP site that is cheap. I know other RSP units in my state get ACU's issued and while they took our order and sizes for ACU's before our first drill, no one has gotten them issued. As far as our cadre, they are good and bad. PT is really easy, but we do learn A LOT in class. I would say everyone is administratively straight for BCT, but there are some soldiers that are still struggling with the 1-1-1 PT test. But I've realized that RSP isn't about how your cadre push you, it's about how you push yourself. The cadre will help and guide you, but in my experience, to get better you have to have the self discipline to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        To your concerns:

--Your drive: Let's be honest. A two hour commute is grueling, but you only have to do it one weekend a month. Not to mention, you only have 3 months left of this before your commute gets much better. I wouldn't let this be a reason to question your commitment. Are other states like this? Not necessarily, but it's not uncommon for Soldier's to drive MORE than 2 hours to a unit location every drill weekend. Many choose to do this because they want the benefits/job opportunities afforded in a particular unit. Bottom line, it's all perspective. You can either hate it or find the benefits to your drive.

--Your uniform: It is not a requirement (in other words, a "right") to be issued a uniform during RSP. The fact is, most states CAN'T afford to dress RSP Soldiers before they reach their training site. Furthermore, you'll receive everything you need when you attend BCT and then again when you get to your unit. As stated above, this comes down to how you choose to look at things. You can either hate it, or adopt a positive attitude and accept it for what it is. Personally, when I read comments like this, my first question is "why is it so important to you that you have a uniform at this point? What's your motivation?" You're going to get them soon enough, so I encourage you to be patient, and not let it darken your experience as a Soldier.

--And last, your pre-training learning. All I will say about this is that you will get in return what you put into your enlistment. You will learn very quickly that there will be times where you will have a lot of down time to wait for instructions between missions. The theme here is that you can either hate it or embrace it as an opportunity to work on your leadership skills. There are so many resources online that are absolutely free. I would encourage you to use those if your RSP unit doesn't have the budget to provide you will all your learning tools (you'll get a Soldier handbook in BCT, btw, and PLENTY of time to memorize it). If you have free time, I would encourage you to work with your fellow Soldiers and have study sessions, practice sessions, drill and ceremony practices.

Bottom line, a negative attitude is not productive. There are things you can do to make your experience better, but attitude is key.
        RyCass

The drive is just annoying and perhaps I was just venting. It's annoying more than anything else, especially to have to arrive both ways on both days.

I am not that butt hurt about the uniform. I just get crap for wearing clothing other than my 'made in china' RSP track suit after the PT test. If they issued uniforms I think there would be more incentive for everyone to look and act like soldiers.

I hear you on your last part. I'm willing to put a lot in but I feel like we move at a snails pace. Hell, if they threw me a bone I would do just about anything they asked of me. If they said, score a perfect pt test and well issue a uniform ... well I'd be busting my butt every day to perfect my pt. I do this anyways but hopefully you see what I'm saying.

AngelofDeth

PT is really easy, I play college sports so its a walk in the park. Academically it's a little on the boring side. I really wish there was something I could work towards, being an e-3 I'm not going to make e-4 by the time I ship. Whatever happens I just hope my remaining drills go better.

Comment

RSP is hit or miss. Some units take it very seriously and dedicate a lot of time and resources to it, even an effort to make it fun. Some are opposite and do bare minimum. Regardless, once you go to BCT/AIT and come back....you won't have to worry about it. You'll be assigned to your immediate chain of command. Doesn't mean every drill for soldiers is fun/games/guns/glory either, but there are not as many limitations since you're no longer a civilian.

Comment

Originally posted by 24601 View Post
            RyCass

The drive is just annoying and perhaps I was just venting. It's annoying more than anything else, especially to have to arrive both ways on both days.

I am not that butt hurt about the uniform. I just get crap for wearing clothing other than my 'made in china' RSP track suit after the PT test. If they issued uniforms I think there would be more incentive for everyone to look and act like soldiers.

I hear you on your last part. I'm willing to put a lot in but I feel like we move at a snails pace. Hell, if they threw me a bone I would do just about anything they asked of me. If they said, score a perfect pt test and well issue a uniform ... well I'd be busting my butt every day to perfect my pt. I do this anyways but hopefully you see what I'm saying.

AngelofDeth

PT is really easy, I play college sports so its a walk in the park. Academically it's a little on the boring side. I really wish there was something I could work towards, being an e-3 I'm not going to make e-4 by the time I ship. Whatever happens I just hope my remaining drills go better.
            Yup. I do understand where you're coming from, and venting is definitely OK. My only goal was to make you take a moment and realize what things are in your control and what aren't. It's a bit of a cliche, but change the things you can and accept what you can't.

The truth is, your enlistment will be full of ups and downs. Even after you finish training, as SteveLord said, it's not all fun and games. Take this experience during RSP to help you prepare for those times you aren't given clear instructions. Be that Soldier that remains positive and proactive instead of falling into the trap of negativity.

Good luck with your training!

Comment

I so understand what you mean and where you are coming from. Please dont take anything here in a wrong way, its hard not knowing the tone used, but it isnt meant to put you down at all.

Have you asked if you can stay at the armory overnight instead of driving back and forth? Everyone leaves after final formation? I drive 120 miles/day five days a week for my Guard job but it was a choice I made. Even though it was my choice I looked into any available options. It took me eight months but I finally have the right to stay in the armory if I so desire after being told eight months ago it could not be done because there are males that do it and they will not have mixed company. It was a battle I picked to fight, and a loooong time later the situation has changed and I can save myself those miles if I want to. If I would have taken their first answer and not done any leg work on my own, I still wouldnt be able to do it. There is a fine line between doing things for yourself because only you care about yourself the most, and being annoying to them, you need to be careful with that. What about car pooling? Could you ask the Cadre if they have a list of where everyone is from and if they would mind looking to see if anyone else lives near you? Car pooling is very common in the Guard world. If Cadre cannot help you with that, you could also just start asking, yourself.

It isnt always pleasant to hear this as you have made the decision to become a Soldier and serve, it wasnt all up to you when you leave for training. But, you arent a Soldier. Your incentive for looking and acting like a Soldier is being allowed to enlist, allowed to go to RSP, and then allowed to go to training that will make you into a Soldier. Not getting a uniform. I realize some think differently on this than I do. I'm the type that will avoid every store on the way home, go out of my way to go home first, change, and then go back to a store. I dont like the extra attention. Some do. And I know you did not say you want one for the attention. You feel that having it, and having the attitude that sort of comes with just wearing it, would make you more disciplined and such...I get what you are saying.... but you really have no formal training to put that uniform on. It is never about an individual, it is always about the ones that have gone before us and the ones that will be here in the future. It is the past and the future that we are respecting, not always just the present. You need to know alot of information to be wearing that uniform respectfully to those that have gone before us. I dont feel a couple months in RSP does that.

I also understand what you mean about being required to learn something that they dont think is important enough to get you the training materials for. I was actually talked to about this a couple weeks ago and am trying my hardest to work on this myself. Yes, it is probably wrong. Everything you are required to do in the military should be provided for you. That is pretty much a statement, not an opinion. So you now have two options. keep dwelling on what is wrong with it, or do something to make it better for yourself and maybe even others. In the past, i'd have spend hours on writing up something in a formal complaint about this, and also spend alot of time mulling it over in my hear on how wrong it is..... Fact is, if it isnt going to change, even if it is wrong, all you are doing is making yourself miserable over it. Now if there was a chance you could take something up your chain of command and get it changed, by all means do it. But if you know, that no matter how wrong it is, no matter how much documentation you have on it for a case in your favor..... if "they" arent going to change anything.... just get over it and move on. It really is your only choice, well besides being misserable. If you are a person like me, very by the book type (work wise, like I read those employee manuals and expect them to adhere to them if i'm supposed to) and then you see them not following something they should.... it will eat away at you. You really need to just let it go. I'd have to say it ranks in my top three for what I had to change about myself the most after enlisting. Edit: And I believe it was mentioned above, but you can google that stuff! Probably even find a book online.
              Last edited by WIBecky74; November 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

RyClass,

Your state may not have the funds to provide ACU's for every new recruit. I understand the driving issue, I have a long drive as well. Here is where my situation differs; We are forced to stay overnight in the barracks for our drills. I would rather take the drive home and sleep in my own bed. Our DSs take PT very seriously and although I am in shape, I am completely spent after drills. You can get all the information in the battle book from the handouts they give you at your battle hand-off, It is easier to read. I do not believe it is your state, it is your training NCO. We get to do real Army stuff like repelling, tactical road marches, combatives, and we get to do the Air Assault obstacle course. If your training NCO would set that stuff up you could get a lot of good training before shipping to BCT. I never enjoy RSP drills, but every Sunday when I leave I know I that I am better prepared for basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Styler View Post
                  RyClass,

Your state may not have the funds to provide ACU's for every new recruit. I understand the driving issue, I have a long drive as well. Here is where my situation differs; We are forced to stay overnight in the barracks for our drills. I would rather take the drive home and sleep in my own bed. Our DSs take PT very seriously and although I am in shape, I am completely spent after drills. You can get all the information in the battle book from the handouts they give you at your battle hand-off, It is easier to read. I do not believe it is your state, it is your training NCO. We get to do real Army stuff like repelling, tactical road marches, combatives, and we get to do the Air Assault obstacle course. If your training NCO would set that stuff up you could get a lot of good training before shipping to BCT. I never enjoy RSP drills, but every Sunday when I leave I know I that I am better prepared for basic.
                  Just so we're all clear, I'm not the one asking the question. The original poster is actually, 24601.

As far as the states go, there is some truth to training budget constraints, but you make an excellent observation. RSP training NCO's can make a difference in the overall experience by their organizational skills.

Comment

Working...
                  X