X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First RSP-O

As briefly discussed in another thread, I attended my first RSP-O drill this past weekend. It was a very positive experience. Saturday a.m. started off with the APFT. I've been training for about six months specifically against the Army PT standards, and this old dude rocked that PT test like it was 1992 again. Well, enough bragging...

After the PT test & hygiene, we reported to the classroom and delivered 20-minute leadership presentations to the cadre and the other candidates using Power Point, demonstrating how a well-known figure from history measured up against FM 6-22 Appendix A, "Leader Attributes & Core Leader Competencies". Very interesting and highly successful. The young SGT before me profiled George Washington, while I did John Adams. A nice coincidence that wasn't planned beforehand, but it was good to tie in the first two POTUS and prominent Founding Fathers of our nation.

Sat p.m. was classroom Land Nav training. Great refresher after a decade of being out of the Guard. HVRSD CSD, 5 primary colors on maps, intersection, resection, back azimuth, coverting grid --> magnetic, etc. etc. etc.

Sunday a.m. started with a 3-mile release run. A good way to start any day. I find that at age 38, my knees don't even start to get loosened up until I've hit 2 or 3 miles.

Sunday p.m. was spent out in the woods doing practical Land Nav in pairs. I'm more sore from climbing up and down the nearly vertical shale and clay walls-O-earth than any of the PT. A very good time though, and very successful in brushing off the Land Nav rust that had formed over the past 10 years. Luckily I was paired with a PFC just back from BCT, and he was sharp as a tack with this stuff and was able to get me squared away.

Cadre consisted of a 2LT, a CW2, two MAJ, and a SSG who wore his Smokey Bear the entire time, but acted as an instructor as opposed to the "I'm here to make you wet your pants and cry out for your mama" type of drill sergeant that we all remember with nostalgic fondness (at least, those of us who did OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1992 remember it that way )

Re: First RSP-O

Sounds like your first RSP was very successful. I attended my last of five RSP drills this past weekend. We never did anything like land nav. We did a bunch of standing around and a bunch of PT, but no real field training per se. I ship out to Jackson in a few weeks and still feel unprepaired.

Comment

Sounds like your first RSP was very successful. I attended my last of five RSP drills this past weekend. We never did anything like land nav. We did a bunch of standing around and a bunch of PT, but no real field training per se. I ship out to Jackson in a few weeks and still feel unprepaired.
      The RSP program for new enlistees didn't exist when I first joined the Reserves in 1991 - and I shipped out to Leonard Wood without a clue as to drill & ceremony, rank insignia, PT, etc.
      The cadre were able to instill the basics within days (if not hours). I was unprepared in the academic sense, but well-prepared in the sense that I was in decent physical shape and absolutely determined to absorb everything they could throw at me and to succeed. The first few days, they will gladly thin out the ranks by encouraging borderline recruits & self-doubters to fail themselves out. After that, the cadre is highly motivated to make you succeed in all phases of your training. Their methods and communication styles might make this hard to remember at times, but underneath it all, they WANT you to do well if you prove that you are serious about your commitment to the Army. If you give the drill sergeants 110% of everything you have, every day, every task, then you will do just fine regardless of your RSP experience. Focus in on your motivation for joining, never forget why you are there, and never quit on yourself. Congrats on your decision to serve.
      Last edited by OldGuardGuy; October 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuardGuy View Post
        The RSP program from new enlistees didn't exist when I first joined the Reserves in 1991 - and I shipped out to Leonard Wood without a clue as to drill & ceremony, rank insignia, PT, etc.
        The cadre were able to instill the basics within days (if not hours). I was unprepared in the academic sense, but well-prepared in the sense that I was in decent physical shape and absolutely determined to absorb everything they could throw at me and to succeed. The first few days, they will gladly thin out the ranks by encouraging borderline recruits & self-doubters to fail themselves out. After that, the cadre is highly motivated to make you succeed in all phases of your training. Their methods and communication styles might make this hard to remember at times, but underneath it all, they WANT you to do well if you prove that you are serious about your commitment to the Army. If you give the drill sergeants 110% of everything you have, every day, every task, then you will do just fine regardless of your RSP experience. Focus in on your motivation for joining, never forget why you are there, and never quit on yourself. Congrats on your decision to serve.
        I'll let you know how Leonard Wood is in the more recent times. lol. I go in a couple of weeks. I, like sv9, just finished my last (and first) RSP drill. I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be without actually going. I think you will be ok SV, its just the fear of the unknown that is getting you. I'm nervous too. To the OP, thanks for the insights. I will hopefully go to OCS after my AIT and all the Phase 0 info is helpful. Keep us posted.

Comment

If you're not at least a little nervous about an upcoming ship date for BCT, then you probably don't understand the magnitude of the commitment and challenges that lie ahead for you. So it is perfectly normal to be nervous, and those who say they aren't, or that they weren't, are either not being entirely honest with themselves or they are failing to remember the situation correctly. Stay motivated and best of luck.

Comment

Wow, lucky! I just came back from my first RSP drill as well and was sort of disappointed. We started of Saturday with the PT test (a 1-1-1 for us new guys and full for White and Green Phase). First off, I and everyone there knows that Cadre did not measure the distance correctly, because by some miracle I ran a 6:02 mile and I'm not that great at running. After that we did hygiene as well, got a MRE for lunch, and spent the rest of the day in class for Suicide Awareness training.

We didn't have to spend the night since the boiler had still not been fixed and it was colder inside than it was outside. We all arrived back for first formation at 7 and began some PT. We did circuit training indoors, and it was a good workout but not an ass-kicker like I was expecting. We did that for about an hour, then did hygiene as usual. Once we were done with that, SGT had the Green Phasers teach everyone else D&C while she worked with the Blue Phasers. After that was over, we had lunch again and finished up the Suicide Awareness training. Then we cleaned the armory and headed home.

Honestly I was hoping for a little more out of that drill. The Suicide Awareness training (while surprisingly informative) was kind of boring but SGT managed to throw in jokes to help us stay awake. Although we only had 20 warriors there (half of which were Green Phase), I still felt like we needed more Cadre then just having a SGT. We only got smoked once, which wasn't that bad, but I was expecting to get smoked for more things. The Green Phasers, while knowledgeable in some areas, were very unimpressive in other areas. During the PT test, I was expecting the Green Phasers to lead the way especially on the run, but I had a good -1:00 minute pace on them and as I said before I'm not a good runner. SGT also chewed them out (and didn't even smoke them!) when she asked what the Warrior Ethos was and the only person in the platoon that knew was me. So overall it wasn't a very impressive drill, but I met some cool people and left with a lot more knowledge of D&C and stories of Basic.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that my experience was not a typical RSP, but an RSP-O drill. The difference: everyone in my RSP-O group has already completed BCT, most are prior-service like myself, many have completed at least 1 deployment already, and we are now preparing for our upcoming ship dates for OCS. Given that, it's to be expected that the agenda might be a bit different than the standard pre-BCT RSP weekend. Not necessarily better or worse, just different and geared towards a different student body. Example: about half of OCS failures are due to Land Nav. Hence, we will do Land Nav at every single RSP-O drill that we have. Over and over and over again. And then again. And then some more. And a bit more afterwards.

Comment

"Focus in on your motivation for joining, never forget why you are there, and never quit on yourself."
                Thank you for that even though not directed to me. It is common sense to always remember that but it was a VERY good reminder today.

Comment

sounds like you RSP was more excited then mine will ever be. We are always stuck in a classroom all day and never allowed to even go outside after the sun comes up because it is apparently to hot and humid.

Comment

Working...
                  X