Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP before contracting as an SMP

Hey Guys:

I am a freshman in college in South Carolina as well as an ROTC cadet. I will (hopefully) be contracting at the end of this school year and becoming an SMP cadet. I have been talking with a recruiter and the only way I can join the guard this year is by enrolling the RSP program until I contract. As I said, I am trying to contract at the end of this year, which means I would not be going to BCT or AIT. Is it worth it to join now and participate in the RSP program for the next year or so or should I just wait until I contract? Looking online, it looks like at the monthly drills they're doing pretty much the same stuff we're doing in ROTC. The only thing that has me a tad bit worried is that if for some reason I am unable to contract I will have to go to BCT and that is something that I am not really interested in at this point with all of the other opportunities available for ROTC cadets during the summer.

Has anyone else gone this route before? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: RSP before contracting as an SMP

There is no benefit. Just wait and contract.

Comment

There absolutely is a benefit. You get the federal and state tuition assistance even while you are attending RSP. In North Carolina, that comes out to be 9500 a year for tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by jsdunn View Post
        There absolutely is a benefit. You get the federal and state tuition assistance even while you are attending RSP. In North Carolina, that comes out to be 9500 a year for tuition.
        I think what Mongoose was referring to was the RSP program itself. In this case, it wouldn't be as useful to the OP as it is for others going the traditional route of BCT, then AIT.

Hands down, though, getting TA is an awesome benefit!

Comment

Originally posted by jsdunn View Post
          That is ENTIRELY dependent on the state the OP is in. In terms of TA, in my state you have to EARN IT (i.e. going to BCT/AIT and becoming a 'basically trained and MOS Qualified Soldier' before you can dip into ANY benefits like the GI Bill or TA).

OP: Honestly, RSP is a program that is designed to assist soldiers mentally and physically before they go to BCT/AIT. Since you have no intention of going to BCT/AIT the RSP will be of little benefit to you (especially since you're probably doing the same things, if not more, in your ROTC BN).

IF you go thru RSP and go the SMP route you will have a little extra money in your pocket from monthly drills in addition to your contracted cadet ROTC stipend every month. That's really the only benefit I can see for you, keep in mind though you will have to attend drills like any other drilling Soldier, and if you can't/don't contract or if you are for some reason dis-enrolled from ROTC, your a$$ belongs to the Army (probably in an E-1 slot to start).

Comment

Working...
          X