X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about getting let go.

Hello all. First off let me introduce my self. I am a 28 year Police Officer who joined the Guard in March. I have been attending the RSP drills. Not the most exciting thing but it's what I have to do. I ship in November. Ok, well here lies my problem. In June, at work, I had an incident which may have sealed the military off for me. A short narrative of what happened, I was enroute to a call when I spotted a burning mobile home. It had just started, I went in the mobile home park and started moving the looky lous out. Half way in someone tells me three children are trapped inside. Without regard to my own safety I ran into the mobile home and was over come by smoke, fire, and heat. I broke a rear window to the mobile home that was high up and could hear the kids screaming. While pulling my self in the window the fire flashed me, I fell from the window and landed on my left wrist. I did not realize I was in between two mobile homes that were fully engulfed and a large tree. I inhaled alot of black smoke. Sadly, the kids perished and something I think about to this day. It was just impossible to get to them. I had to go to an ambulance to get checked out. I was not transported. Since that day I have noticed once in a while a tightness in my chest and I struggle to catch my breath. Nothing like I am going to die but just struggling for my breath. I take shallow breaths. I can still go about my business but it has caused me concern. My sleep has gotten pretty bad as well. I wake up constantly because I am not breathing well due to my nose. (I had a deviated septum surgery in 2005 which was disclosed to meps and they have all paper work). My left wrist has been hurting since that day and I struggle to do push ups. Now, I am in good shape and have never had medical issues except stitches. I went to the doctor just to get checked out in spite of everyone telling me not to because of how picky the military is right now. Well I explained to her what I had going on. She checked my nose and said my nose is deviated again and that my air going in and out is blocked. She also sent me for a sleep study. She asked if anyone in my family had Asthma. The answer is no and I have never been diagnosed with Asthma or ever had symptoms of. she gave me some breathing test which came back that my lungs were obstructed. She gave me an inhaler and put in my medical paper work "Reactive Airway Disease". I am pretty sure I am screwed on that. I asked how that could come about and she asked if anything at home or work could have triggered it. I have been complaining about it for the last two months. The only thing I can think of is that fire. She stated the smoke probably started the tightness in my chest and the breathing. It's basically like a mild form of Asthma. I just don't get how I could have that now because I have been fine for 28 years of my life. So, for those who are experienced, what happens from here?

Re: Worried about getting let go.

Oh, and I am going to require another Deviated Septum surgery as well. At least thats what the doc says.

Comment

First of all, let me start by saying thank you for all that you do as a Police Officer. This sounds like a very hard situation to go through, and just goes to show that being a Soldier is not the only way to be a hero.

As far as your situation is concerned, have you talked to your recruiter yet about your health concerns? Both your wrist and your asthma are injuries that will affect your training during BCT. I would highly recommend you try to get these things resolved (if possible) before you head out. In fact, it's probably safe to say that you won't ship out on time. I'm not completely positive on this, but since you are already enlisted I don't think you will be directly "kicked out" for asthma, especially since it happened due to exposure to smoke after signing a contract. Instead, I suspect that you'll go through a medical evaluation to see how serious it is and if you will be able to complete your training. From there, your future as a Soldier will be determined.

Honestly, when it comes to health issues, the best advice I can give you is to consult with your doctor and get documentation stating you are fit for duty. If you can get an end date on your prognosis, this will go a long way to help your case. Be upfront with your Recruiter and/or RSP Cadre. Since you're technically already enlisted, the process for you is different than, say, for someone trying to enlist with these concerns. Try to get healed up. The bottom line is, you don't want to head off to training if your body can't handle it.

Keep us posted on what your doctor and Recruiter have to say. I'd be interested to hear of the outcome. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for your service as a police officer.
        Like RyCass says make sure you are fit for duty by your doctor and I wish you all the best.

Comment

Thank you guys for your comments. To clarify a bit more, I just got all my medical paper work. I think I am screwed. I guess I am just trying to see what the likely scenario will be. Listed for active problems is this.
          • Joint Pain, Localized In The Wrist
          •Sleep Apnea
          •Deviated Nasal Septum (Acquired)
          •Allergic Rhinitis
          •Reactive Airway Disease

Again, I have not had any issues with this until the last two months. If they discharge me, what kind of discharge would I get? Do you get a discharge if in the RSP program. Please keep in mind my past surgery was disclosed to meps and was in good shape going to meps with no issues then. Suddenly these issues have come up. Any info or insight on what realistically will happen will be great. Thanks guys.
          Last edited by PikaPika; August 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

it would more than likely be an ELS, which basically means you will appear as if you were never in the military. However, if you have already cleared meps, and then they discharge you, you might get a medical discharge, which is honorable. neither one should negatively affect your life though

Comment

I have drill this weekend. I have told my cadre I went to the doctor, I have to bring in my medical paper work.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this about you PikaPika. You were doing the right think and performing your duties, wish you all the best and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by PikaPika View Post
                  Thank you guys for your comments. To clarify a bit more, I just got all my medical paper work. I think I am screwed. I guess I am just trying to see what the likely scenario will be. Listed for active problems is this.
                  • Joint Pain, Localized In The Wrist
                  •Sleep Apnea
                  •Deviated Nasal Septum (Acquired)
                  •Allergic Rhinitis
                  •Reactive Airway Disease

Again, I have not had any issues with this until the last two months. If they discharge me, what kind of discharge would I get? Do you get a discharge if in the RSP program. Please keep in mind my past surgery was disclosed to meps and was in good shape going to meps with no issues then. Suddenly these issues have come up. Any info or insight on what realistically will happen will be great. Thanks guys.
                  Yes, there are a couple of area's here that are potential no-goes; specifically your joint pain (if chronic), sleep apnea, and deviated nasal septum. According to your previous post, though, it sounds like some of these things will go away with either healing time or a surgery. Can you get a prognosis from your doctor giving the Military a timeline?

As far as Reactive Airway Disease, I did a little digging and this is more of a blanket term doctors use for someone who has a sudden onset of breathing issues with no history of asthma. I'm not sure if it's something you can work with, but just so you know it's not a set diagnosis of asthma.

Comment

Thanks you guys for your replies. I appreciate the help. I may be answering my own questions here but this is what I am basing my conclusion on.

AR 40-501, 2-23d states that asthma is a cause for rejection if “asthma, including reactive airway disease, exercise induced bronchospasm, or asthmatic bronchitis, is reliably diagnosed at any age.” Subsequently, in August 1995 a DoD directive mandated disqualification of all applicants for asthma reliably diagnosed at any age. Waiver authorities were directed to approve limited waivers only if there was documentation of no symptoms since age 12 and participation in high school athletics produced no symptoms.

Comment

Also, I know the military is downsizing a bunch and have seen some recruits leave RSP.

Comment

Originally posted by PikaPika View Post
                        Thanks you guys for your replies. I appreciate the help. I may be answering my own questions here but this is what I am basing my conclusion on.

AR 40-501, 2-23d states that asthma is a cause for rejection if “asthma, including reactive airway disease, exercise induced bronchospasm, or asthmatic bronchitis, is reliably diagnosed at any age.” Subsequently, in August 1995 a DoD directive mandated disqualification of all applicants for asthma reliably diagnosed at any age. Waiver authorities were directed to approve limited waivers only if there was documentation of no symptoms since age 12 and participation in high school athletics produced no symptoms.
                        Yes, that is correct. I failed to add that in my previous post. Ultimately, I would still talk to your doctor and your recruiter. If there's a waiver available due to an isolated incident, and your prognosis is excellent, you may have a chance.

Comment

Nobody on here is a Dr. Take all of your medical documents to your RSP NCO and have him forward it to MEPS for a Med Read.

Comment

Working...
                          X