Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would happen if...?

Hello all,

Quick question, I ship to Benning in October and recently I've had some shoulder pain while working out. It's nothing too bad now, but when I initially noticed it it was pretty intense. I've stopped working my upper body for the time being but I have RSP drill this weekend.

I'm contemplating letting my RSP cadre know. I've only got 2 more RSP drills till I ship and I don't want a minor shoulder pain to delay my OSUT. Keep in mind this isn't a debilitating injury, I just worry the rigors of RSP PT will aggravate it during this rest time I'm giving it.

Thanks for any advice, especially that of RSP Cadre that can give me an insight as to what will happen if I let mine know.

Re: What would happen if...?

First off from someone who studies the human body and fitness it sounds like you did something at least minor to your rotator cuff. That being said, Ben Rothlisberger played all year last year with a torn rotator cuff. Unless your arm is locking up you can baby it well enough before shipping to go.

1) ibuprophen will help and you should use it at least at morning at night (if needed) for swelling for a week or two.
    2) alternate between ice and heat a few times a day
    3) take a week off of SHOULDERs and upper back. Don't stop bi's tri's lat's and ab's. Simply use isolation exercises to ensure you aren't working that shoulder
    4) continue doing pushups. Do lots of smaller sets as opposed to jamming out a few big ones
    5) when you continue shoulder work it's about tone. The rotator cuff easily tears and needs light weight with lots of reps

Hope that helps

Hooah!

Comment

You need to be really careful how you handle this situation being that you are so close to your ship date. I had a minor knee injury a month or so ago and went to the doctor to find out if it was serious. Turns out it wasn't a huge deal and it healed up fairly quickly. Only problem was that my ship date was in September, and my RSP Cadre didn't want to take the risk of sending me to BCT with a pre-existing injury, so they cancelled my ship date. Still waiting to get a new one.

So there's one of two ways this could go. The first way is to go see a doctor to find out exactly what is going on, let your Cadre know the situation, and let them decide the proper course of action based on what the doctor says. If the doc says its no big deal, your Cadre may still not want to take the risk of sending you to BCT. It costs your RSP unit a LOT of money to ship you out, and if your shoulder causes you problems in BCT, you could get discharged and nobody wins.

The other way is to tough it out and take the risk, which is typically frowned upon. If you do this, you are not only risking your safety and injuring yourself worse, but you're also putting your military career on the line and wasting the governments time and money if it were to get worse during training.

Its a tough call to make, at least it was for me, but I decided to do what I thought was right by going to the doctor and being honest with my Cadre. Yea, my ship date is changing, but everything will work out in the end.

If I were you, I would try to see a doctor today before you go to drill tomorrow and call or email you cadre to let them know what's going on. If you show up to drill injured you could get in trouble for not giving the Cadre prior notice. You can go to an Urgent Care or Doctor's Care without an appointment.

That's my $.02

Comment

Let your RSP know, but make sure you inform them you still plan to ship and just don't want to hurt it to where it could keep you from shipping. Chances are they will have you take it easy when it comes to PT with your arms. That doesn't mean you can't do flutter kicks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
          You need to be really careful how you handle this situation being that you are so close to your ship date. I had a minor knee injury a month or so ago and went to the doctor to find out if it was serious. Turns out it wasn't a huge deal and it healed up fairly quickly. Only problem was that my ship date was in September, and my RSP Cadre didn't want to take the risk of sending me to BCT with a pre-existing injury, so they cancelled my ship date. Still waiting to get a new one.

The other way is to tough it out and take the risk, which is typically frowned upon. If you do this, you are not only risking your safety and injuring yourself worse, but you're also putting your military career on the line and wasting the governments time and money if it were to get worse during training.

Three points to make about this issue:

1. Unless your arm is about to fall out of its socket you don't need to let your Cadre know anything. If this is just an injury due to using poor form/overuse in the gym and not some kind of serious prior injury you're suffering from it's really no big deal. You need to back off of weight training altogether and employ rotator cuff exercises. It will also help to perform these exercises underwater in a pool. Ibuprofen or perhaps a visit to your doctor to get prescription strength (as well as get your shoulder checked out) meds should help with the pain. If you have time before your next drill you can probably rectify your situation.

2. You don't want to lose your original ship date because of a simple injury. To make a long story short, in a little over two years I watched a buddy of mine sit through RSP drills while I went off to BCT, returned, went off to AIT, graduated only to see his name still on the board waiting to ship.

3. I graduated BCT at Fort Benning--trust me--toughing it out is NOT frowned upon there. At any time of the day, Monday through Friday, particularly, between the hours of 4am to 10am there are anywhere between 25 to 70 trainees at the clinic for dozens of various injuries and illnesses. As long as you convey to your Drill Sergeant(s) verbally and in your actions that you are highly motivated they won't give two sheets about you seeking medical attention if need be. One of the guys I graduated with finished out the last few weeks of the AIT portion of OSUT and graduated with a fractured pelvis.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; August 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I was a 17 year old kid when I left to basic. Never had these problems that people keep bringing up on these forums. "Oh, I hurt my leg/feet a month before I ship", or "I am trying to bench 250 and now I hurt my shoulder".

All I did was play nerf football in the streets, do some push-ups and sit-ups. People stop killing yourself!! Do the PT at "RSP". BTW, they never had that soft program when I went through lol. And just relax. You will be going through a physical regime to set you up for success.

Stay healthy and use common sense; especially if you are already grown up.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              I was a 17 year old kid when I left to basic. Never had these problems that people keep bringing up on these forums. "Oh, I hurt my leg/feet a month before I ship", or "I am trying to bench 250 and now I hurt my shoulder".
              My DS at Benning actually stood before my platoon when referencing me and said: "At his age the mere fact that he is here and going through the same thing you are should be more than enough motivation for you to stop feeling sorry for yourselves."

Comment

I'm 27 years old, so more grown up than 99% of the people in my RSP unit.

I had been lifting heavy prior to joining and continued a few months after. I think this is where the possible injury may have occurred. I'm going to stay off it, employ some rotator cuff exercises, ibuprofen, and enjoy my weekend in the RSP.

Thanks guys.

Comment

In two months do you think it will be healed?
                  Ice and ibprofren my friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X