Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drill or Ship Out? Your thoughts?

Originally posted by Mroviezzo View Post
    I would go go go!! Who needs the drills, you should be in shape already. I thought it was called Boot Camp for a reason? oh naw with this gen they have to hold our hands
    Well, I can't let this slide. It ISN'T called "Boot Camp" unless you're in the Marine Corps. Just so you know...

Comment

I love RSP. If I had the time, I'd drill for a year before BCT. I'm sure it varies state to state and even platoon to platoon, but my experience in NY A Co 2nd Pl was awesome. The cadre have a good balance between treating you like a civilian (because you still are one) and treating you like a soldier and holding you accountable for mistakes. I learned a ton. We even did a 3 day FTX at Camp Smith. I'd say give yourself 3 or 4 drills before you ship.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        You have much to learn about how males behave in the military around females. Trust me. /smh (at them)

I'm not really following you here. Are you assuming that it was all males who were making these comments? Because they aren't...in fact I get more comments from the females!

Comment

Alright, but my statement still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
            Yep, 33 and turning 34 at BCT. Compared to the rest of the whippersnappers I drill with.....

Although I have to say I must look 19 with my hair pulled back because every drill I manage to surprise the high school kids with my age...they all think I've just graduated with them!
            LOL! Yeah, I had a similar experience. I've never looked my age (31), but I haven't been totally clean shaven since I hit puberty. LOL! Those 18/19 yr olds were floored when they found out my age. BUT (so I don't feel bad about making a post that has nothing to do with the initial question), I can see EWeisenberger's point about red phase vs. white phase (Like I said, I only had 1 RSP drill). But when I look at your initial post (options), you were never planning on staying at RSP long either way it goes. ...Just go once (or twice if need be...I repeat...extra money won't hurt since your 1st check in basic will be late) and get your paperwork squared away. Go get your ako set up, your military id, etc...When you get your first LES (aka paystub), make sure they didn't mess up anything so when you're at basic you can focus on being a great soldier and nothing else. (My 2 cents)

Comment

I only had a chance to do one RSP drill and I ship 05 Sep, it was a good introduction and I did soak in as much as I could, I will be 33 on 28 Sep, after reading the post of the 30+ people I don’t feel too old, I must say that the younger recruits in RSP aren't disciplined and find it hard to follow basic instructions.

For instance we had people going for seconds at chow without being instructed to do so....we got smoked.....people going to throw away garbage after chow without being told, we got smoked when all is said and done it’s a good experience but I would rather get BCT over and done with.

Comment

I can assure you....30+ year olds are capable of the same level of immaturity in basic as the youngest there. Sleeping, showering, eating, suffering with 50 people in a foreign stressful environment can change someone's behavior dramatically.

Comment

I like RSP for 2 reasons:

1) I get to meet people that are going to (hopefully) be in the Guard near me or maybe even in my unit! Getting to know people means that when I get to my unit, I already have a familiar face I know and I think that's a good thing.

2) I get paid like regular drill.

My NCO definitely let me know that RSP is not here to help you get fit, that's your job.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchpatrick View Post
                    For instance we had people going for seconds at chow without being instructed to do so....we got smoked.....people going to throw away garbage after chow without being told, we got smoked when all is said and done it’s a good experience but I would rather get BCT over and done with.
                    I see you're from NY and that's exactly what happend at my last drill lol. Are you in Alpha Co, 2nd Platoon (Queens)??

Comment

Just ship, you will learn everything you would have learned at RSP at Reception Bn on your first week of processing. Not that RSP is a bad thing, but IMO it does more to keep recruits all "OOMGG I am in the Army." (Which is an awesome thing, its like buying a car and you can't buy it until X date, it is a way for the dealer to keep you all excited about it, by teaching you the owner's manual that no one reads anyways.) It's good for you, and it gives you something to do with the Guard until then. But, it doesn't put you a step above everyone else, ain't rocket science to stand at parade rest or attention.

Yeah, I have been at RSP for sixteen wonderful drills, (I loved the pre-basic drills) afterwards IMO it was kind of like a root canal, not the cadre's fault, all of us were ready to drive on to AIT.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
                        But, it doesn't put you a step above everyone else, ain't rocket science to stand at parade rest or attention.
                        Really, knowing your Soldier's creed, Rank Structure, General Orders, Land Nav, and D&C doesn't put you a step above anyone else at basic? How silly of me to think it would.

Now, I do agree that it can get old after 16 months waiting for AIT.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                          Really, knowing your Soldier's creed, Rank Structure, General Orders, Land Nav, and D&C doesn't put you a step above anyone else at basic? How silly of me to think it would.

Now, I do agree that it can get old after 16 months waiting for AIT.
                          You learn all of the above at your time at Reception, except Land Nav. Which personally I think it is a thousand times more fun going out on the land nav course in 130 degree weather not knowing what you are doing. BUT, I see your point on that topic and probably CLS. It was nice not having to study or anything the night before the CLS test like everyone else.

The hard stuff like MOUT IMO should be covered at RSP before basic. Send them through a glass house or give them the exposure to searching a detainee, hands on stuff, not just powerpoints. However, I am guessing the risk assessment would be a pain though. Especially in the summer months.

and yeah, it is weird knowing the cadre longer than the recruits in RSP.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
                            The hard stuff like MOUT IMO should be covered at RSP before basic. Send them through a glass house or give them the exposure to searching a detainee, hands on stuff, not just powerpoints. However, I am guessing the risk assessment would be a pain though. Especially in the summer months.
                            Ummm...we did all of those things at my RSP, those are classes in the training schedule for white and green phases set up by NGB. Just not your first month of Red Phase.

Comment

Originally posted by NY ARNG Woodard View Post
                              I see you're from NY and that's exactly what happend at my last drill lol. Are you in Alpha Co, 2nd Platoon (Queens)??
                              Yup. annoying what happened wasnt it?

Comment

I will be turning 33 in a week and just graduating from AIT here on Sep 5th. I am very glad for the RTC program they have in my State it made me realize how bad of shape I really was in. I quit smoking about a year ago, but I was still overweight and in terrible shape at my first drill after enlisting in December. I got to do four drills before shipping in March and it really helped me better prepare for BCT. I got a job that was more physical during the wait time before basic and that helped as well. I would say though if you are able to pass your 1-1-1 already then you should go straight to basic, with a little bit of study on some things before you leave. I never was able to pass my 1-1-1 before I left! The running that is.. I still suck at running, but I never failed a 2-2-2 in basic or AIT. All the smoking you get at the beginning of basic will peel some weight off that will help you to pass that test.
                                Last edited by Major General Discharge; August 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X