X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill or Ship Out? Your thoughts?

I have the option to begin drilling here locally before basic or I can go ahead and ship. I'm curious as to the thoughts of those already in. Would you recommend at least getting a couple of drills in here or heading to basic ASAP? My occupational situation is what makes me want to ship immediately, however if by drilling a few times will have me going to basic very well prepared and will make it go easier, I can stick it out here for a few more months. Your thoughts?

Re: Drill or Ship Out? Your thoughts?

I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend a couple drills. I was nervous about the physical aspect especially since I'm in my early 30s. We do the full PT test at my drills and that helped to put my mind at ease because I did more push-ups and sit-ups then I thought I would and on the run I finished several minutes ahead of those 10+ years and 20+ pounds lighter than me. We also did some classroom stuff and I seemed to catch on pretty well. I'm going to be going in now knowing that at least physically, I'm not going to suck and that mentally I seem to be able to grasp things. I have my final drill coming up and I can't wait to see how much I managed to improve on the PT test. I think drill definitely helps to put your mind at ease and relieve any nervousness that a person may have about attending training. But again, for me most of my nervousness came from wondering whether or not I was too "old" to be doing this when I'd be surrounded by a bunch of teens and people in their early 20s.

Comment

I would only do a few drills if you thought you could get E2 or E3 in that time. If you're currently only E1 that is.

Comment

Personally, I would just go get it over with. RSP can be very helpful, but its not worth delaying your training just so you can get a few drills in.

Comment

If you think about it, going to 3 drills would only equal 6 days of training. So by the end of the first week of basic, you would essentially be at the same place as having attended those three drills. I've been to 2 RSP drills so far, and they are definitely a great learning experience. They teach you the basics of drill and ceremony, how to address your superiors and generally what to expect at BCT. But I honestly don't feel like I'm THAT much better off than going in to BCT blind. For me, the not knowing what to expect was the killer, but for all the active duty and reserve soldiers, that's all they get.

I would suggest doing a few drills with your RSP unit only if you have some physical conditioning you need to do to get ready for BCT. RSP has baught me several months to work on my running and build the muscle groups I'll be using at BCT.

Comment

Well it looks like the timing will work out where I am able to attend one drill prior to BCT. I'm a bit apprehensive about it, but I am glad I'll have an opportunity to see where I am physically with everyone else.

Comment

At first, I was in a hurry to swear in, because I wanted to learn all I could at RSP. My goal was to be at RSP as long as possible. My motive was simple...the more I could memorize and learn mentally would help me focus on everything I needed to do physically at basic. I knew they had a bunch of information that had to be memorized @ basic so in my mind, RSP was my head start (and the extra check wouldn't hurt either). For the record, I've had 1 RSP drill and I ship August 20th (to Fort Jackson). Well, I did so much research (asking questions here, googling military information there, etc) that when I got to RSP I was giving the other recruits information that they didn't know about. Was the drill helpful? Yes, but I'm glad I only had one to go to. They were really laid back at RSP...too laid back. I ran faster than all but 4 other people (& one was freshly back from basic training), and a lot the recruits were lazy (I feel for the recruit that thinks BCT is all bark & no bite because of their experience at RSP). You sound like me. Someone who is taking this serious and is already utilizing self-discipline to get ready. Obviously, I can't tell you about BCT, but RSP was so laid back it couldn't possibly help me prepare anymore. It does help to get all of your paperwork finalized, though and have an admin give you all the tips you need before shipping. Looking back, as far as physical preparation for basic...RSP didn't help. But hey, maybe things will be different in your state.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
                as far as physical preparation for basic...RSP didn't help.
                Its like I used to always tell the new RSP Soldiers, "RSP will not get you in shape, it can only show you how out of shape you really are".

Comment

Originally posted by nss View Post
                  I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend a couple drills. I was nervous about the physical aspect especially since I'm in my early 30s. We do the full PT test at my drills and that helped to put my mind at ease because I did more push-ups and sit-ups then I thought I would and on the run I finished several minutes ahead of those 10+ years and 20+ pounds lighter than me. We also did some classroom stuff and I seemed to catch on pretty well. I'm going to be going in now knowing that at least physically, I'm not going to suck and that mentally I seem to be able to grasp things. I have my final drill coming up and I can't wait to see how much I managed to improve on the PT test. I think drill definitely helps to put your mind at ease and relieve any nervousness that a person may have about attending training. But again, for me most of my nervousness came from wondering whether or not I was too "old" to be doing this when I'd be surrounded by a bunch of teens and people in their early 20s.
                  I'm in the exact same mindset as nss here....I'm glad I was able to get a few drills in under my belt mostly because I'm an old lady and it really gave me an idea of where I stood physically and what I've needed to work on. However, I now have 5 drills under my belt with two to go, and while it is still a good 'checkpoint' every month to see where I'm at on the 1-1-1, I really feel for those soldiers who are stuck on the split-op cycle. There is no way in hell I'd want to attend RSP endlessly for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                    I'm in the exact same mindset as nss here....I'm glad I was able to get a few drills in under my belt mostly because I'm an old lady and it really gave me an idea of where I stood physically and what I've needed to work on. However, I now have 5 drills under my belt with two to go, and while it is still a good 'checkpoint' every month to see where I'm at on the 1-1-1, I really feel for those soldiers who are stuck on the split-op cycle. There is no way in hell I'd want to attend RSP endlessly for over a year.
                    ........Old lady?

Comment

To the OP:
                      Since you'll have one drill, you'll be doing a combination of Red and Blue, aka the Purple Phase. In my opinion, getting an introduction to Army life is the real benefit of RSP, especially since you really can do the research to learn all of the things they teach during Red Phase. The FAQ/admin stuff they do for Blue/Purple Phase people is great, you'll get all your paper work squared away for pay and other benefits. So basically don't expect to be like Rambo for your first drill, besides, why skip out on ~200 bucks for 30 hours of fun?

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
                      ...They were really laid back at RSP...too laid back. I ran faster than all but 4 other people (& one was freshly back from basic training), and a lot the recruits were lazy (I feel for the recruit that thinks BCT is all bark & no bite because of their experience at RSP). You sound like me. Someone who is taking this serious and is already utilizing self-discipline to get ready. Obviously, I can't tell you about BCT, but RSP was so laid back it couldn't possibly help me prepare anymore. It does help to get all of your paperwork finalized, though and have an admin give you all the tips you need before shipping. Looking back, as far as physical preparation for basic...RSP didn't help. But hey, maybe things will be different in your state.
                      Your first drill (Red Phase) is designed to be laid back and easy. Red phase is about 90% classroom and maybe 10% physical.
                      In my RSP, White phase is certainly where the cadre and Drill Sgts. ramp up getting smoked and accountability for things that you've already learned; like not calling a Sgt. "Sir/Ma'am," getting into good physical condition, etc. White Phase is the "meat" of RSP, you'll actually get training like land navigation, first aid, movement, tactics, room clearing, rappelling, etc.
                      Last edited by AWeisenberger; August 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I would go go go!! Who needs the drills, you should be in shape already. I thought it was called Boot Camp for a reason? oh naw with this gen they have to hold our hands

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          ........Old lady?
                          Yep, 33 and turning 34 at BCT. Compared to the rest of the whippersnappers I drill with.....

Although I have to say I must look 19 with my hair pulled back because every drill I manage to surprise the high school kids with my age...they all think I've just graduated with them!

Comment

Yep, 33 and turning 34 at BCT. Compared to the rest of the whippersnappers I drill with.....

Although I have to say I must look 19 with my hair pulled back because every drill I manage to surprise the high school kids with my age...they all think I've just graduated with them!
                            You have much to learn about how males behave in the military around females. Trust me. /smh (at them)

Comment

Well, I'm 38 and I graduated basic training just last October an honor grad, so I think you'll be fine.

Drills will not make BCT go easier, you'll maybe earn a little prior knowledge. The little bit you'll PT at RSP won't matter if you're not doing anything throughout the month and as long as (at basic) you keep your mouth shut, do as you're told and do it QUICKLY, you'll be just fine.

Just GO!

Comment

Working...
                              X