X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change

I am just looking to find out what the process is like for a person who changes his/her name while in RSP but before shipping. I have been told new orders would need to be printed and that another background check would need to be run. If this is true, how long does that take? Also, is it possible to just update the legal name during the Reception week at Basic Training?

Re: Name Change

Just so we are clear, is this "name change" a product of a marriage, or are you just trying to imitate "The Artist Formerly known as"?

If you're getting hitched, it's easy. (Well, not the getting hitched part...that I will refrain from giving any advice about on this forum.

Comment

It would be a legal name change not as a result of marriage and it isn't to anything wacky (it's a family name).

Comment

It's a simple process. You just need to turn in the court documents for the name change and also your new SS card with the new name on it. Why would they need to do a new background check???? That makes no sense at all. You have the same back ground when you change your name.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          It's a simple process. You just need to turn in the court documents for the name change and also your new SS card with the new name on it. Why would they need to do a new background check???? That makes no sense at all. You have the same back ground when you change your name.
          I agree; I was just married a few months ago and I simply provided the marriage license, hubby's details and it's been done. I don't understand why they would do a background check.

More details please....

Comment

This is what the person was told which is why I came here to ask. I thought it should be straightforward as well but she was led to believe that it could be a hassle and might delay shipping.

Comment

Ok. Further clarification. They were told that if their name changed prior to shipping new orders for basic/ait would need to be printed since the name on the orders would no longer match the name on a new id card and that could cause issues. I personally didn't see how this could be an issue since she could take the court order with her. Also, is it really that complicated to update orders?

Comment

Who are you Pqup?

Why cant they wait to get married later?

Comment

Originally posted by Pqup View Post
                  Ok. Further clarification. They were told that if their name changed prior to shipping new orders for basic/ait would need to be printed since the name on the orders would no longer match the name on a new id card and that could cause issues. I personally didn't see how this could be an issue since she could take the court order with her. Also, is it really that complicated to update orders?

Complicated? No. A pain and inconvenience? Yes, somewhat. Especially if you dont turn in the name change documents until the week you ship. If you plan to do this, you need to make sure it is does with ample time to get everything updated.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    Who are you Pqup?

Why cant they wait to get married later?
                    I'm a relative. She isn't getting married.

She had informed her sergeants at drill about the name change a month ago. She was first told that it would need to be approved and then told that if they processed a change it could delay her shipping and that she should wait until she was done with training and then do it. It makes no sense to me which is why I came here to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Pqup View Post
                      I'm a relative. She isn't getting married.

She had informed her sergeants at drill about the name change a month ago. She was first told that it would need to be approved and then told that if they processed a change it could delay her shipping and that she should wait until she was done with training and then do it. It makes no sense to me which is why I came here to ask.
                      Based strictly off of your comments, it sounds like someone is not wanting to be bothered. If it's that important to her, then have her get a second opinion and request to speak to her chain of command.

Comment

Working...
                      X