X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of advice. Keep your mouth shut.

After my first RSP drill I suffered a minor injury to my knee which kept me from doing any strenuous activity for several weeks. I followed my orders and let my chain of command know about the injury. By next drill, my knee was fine, but the Cadre told me to refrain from doing any PT to avoid reinjury since my ship date was only a couple of months away. Several days after drill, I got a call from one of the NCO's saying he was changing my ship date. While I understand his concern and the fact that the unit would take a hit if I got sent home from BCT for a pre-exising injury, its frustrating as all h3ll that now I have no idea when I'm shipping out and that all the pans and preperations I've made thusfar are worthless. So, unless you suffer any SERIOUS injury before your ship date, be a man and suck up the pain or you could end up like me. There's my rant. I feel better now.

Re: Word of advice. Keep your mouth shut.

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
    After my first RSP drill I suffered a minor injury to my knee which kept me from doing any strenuous activity for several weeks. I followed my orders and let my chain of command know about the injury. By next drill, my knee was fine, but the Cadre told me to refrain from doing any PT to avoid reinjury since my ship date was only a couple of months away. Several days after drill, I got a call from one of the NCO's saying he was changing my ship date. While I understand his concern and the fact that the unit would take a hit if I got sent home from BCT for a pre-exising injury, its frustrating as all h3ll that now I have no idea when I'm shipping out and that all the pans and preperations I've made thusfar are worthless. So, unless you suffer any SERIOUS injury before your ship date, be a man and suck up the pain or you could end up like me. There's my rant. I feel better now.
    I absolutely do not agree. If you injure yourself, it is your responsibility and duty to let your COC know. The Army does not want to risk sending you down there injured so that youget hurt worse and possibly medically discharged. Then not only are your 'plans and preparations' STILL worthless, but you have cost the Army thousands of dollars to train you thus far and ended your career based on personal pride and a childish, selfish incling that "but I want to GO NOW!!!".

It is in EVERYONE'S best interest that you go down there strong and 100% so you can give 110%. I was supposed to be at OCS RIGHT NOW with my other BCT and RSP OCs but I damaged ligaments in my arches and forearm and it was wise, responsible and professional decision for my date to be bumped to January. I am sorry about your plans and preparations, it sux when the unexpected happens, so adapt, overcome and drive on...keep preparing for when you DO ship. But I would discourage giving advice that could put a fellow soldier on the track for serious injury and the Army at risk for wasted time and expense.

Comment

I see both sides of this argument and both are correct to an extent.

Like the OP said, "So, unless you suffer any SERIOUS injury before your ship date, be a man and suck up the pain or you could end up like me." that is good advice and many new recruits confuse soreness from being out of shape with actual injuries. If you report an injury to your RSP, chances are you will not ship on time because once you tell them you have an injury, you need to provide medical documentation clearing you of said injury.

That being said, of course you should not ship with an injury and if it is something serious tell your RSP right away!

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        I see both sides of this argument and both are correct to an extent.

That being said, of course you should not ship with an injury and if it is something serious tell your RSP right away!
        I agree with you that many new recruits confuse soreness with injury, which I think is all the more reason to talk to ones cadre about it. Believe it or not, I can empathize with the OP to a point. I ended up with a small tear in my forearm ligament (I found out after BCT) during Week 7 of BCT. I knew that if I went to sick call, with how much it hurt, that I may end up on profile and not graduate. We were told in no uncertain terms that we would not graduate if on profile. So I 'sucked it up" passed my last PT test, although with low push ups, and drove on through graduation. That being said, I also ended up on profile once I returned with quite a few month of physical therapy and steroid shots into my arm from working out on it so much injured.

I am certainly not trying to sound hypocritical, I simply do not want new recruits to forego common sense about their bodies because they are super gung-ho about getting down range.
        Last edited by Chris36; August 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

wise, responsible and professional
          You can add integrity to this, too. Being a Soldier means adhering to the Army Core Values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, INTEGRITY, and Personal Courage, even in the face of adversity. You will learn more about these as you start training, but it's a good idea to start now. I agree with Chris. This is not sound advice.

Comment

I definitely can understand my COC's point of view. If I were in their position, I probably would have done the same thing. It's just frustrating more than anything that now my knee is healed, I've been running every day and haven't had any issues, and would still have had a couple of months to get ready, but now I don't know when I'm going. It could be postponed a couple of months or it could be a year. My wife and I are trying to have another baby and are in the process of building a new house, so the change in my ship date really screws up our plans. But I'm prepared to roll with the punches and hopefully get a new ship date in the next couple of weeks so I can start planning again. Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Listen to Chris, she totally listened to her CoC when she was broke and didn't PT at all.......................(did I add enough dots?)

If you hurt yourself, you're becoming a detriment to the team. To be the best, you need to be at your best. I'm not trying to sound cheesy or lame, but it's true. If you're not 100%, you will definitely not receive all the training you require.

Reminder: Breaking your military profile is disobeying a lawful order and can be punishable by UCMJ. (Then you throw in the weekend warrior stuff, blah blah blah, you get the idea).

Comment

I'm actually in a very similar situation. I rolled my ankle about a week ago while running and haven't been able to run since (I tried, and messed it up more). I'm shipping 05 SEP and my last RSP is this weekend. I've been on the fence about telling my cadre because I didn't want to get delayed, but I ended up calling up to let one of the SSGs know today and she said I just won't run this weekend - didn't mention anything about going to the doctor or getting a delayed ship. All good advice on this thread and I'm glad I followed it - no sense in risking a medical discharge like Chris said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                  Listen to Chris, she totally listened to her CoC when she was broke and didn't PT at all.......................(did I add enough dots?)

If you hurt yourself, you're becoming a detriment to the team. To be the best, you need to be at your best. I'm not trying to sound cheesy or lame, but it's true. If you're not 100%, you will definitely not receive all the training you require.

Reminder: Breaking your military profile is disobeying a lawful order and can be punishable by UCMJ. (Then you throw in the weekend warrior stuff, blah blah blah, you get the idea).
                  It's not cheesy or lame, Mr. Loki is absolutely right and if I hadn't tried to be "Super Hooah" I would have graduated TODAY from AOCS with friends and commissioned later this month. Sometimes pain isn't just 'reminding you you're alive' or 'weakness leaving he body', SOMETIMES it's telling you to LISTEN.

Comment

Even though some might not like it, a priority in training for individuals should be to not get hurt. Nobody...I mean NOBODY is going to take care of you the way you are and you need to know the difference between pain and an injury. Whatever you do, dont get hurt. If you do get seriously hurt, the Army is going to chew you up and spit you out or you could end up like some that I know who are STILL doing "physical therapy" every morning at BOLC for an undiagnosed problem. One of them just found out his ACL is completely torn. Meanwhile he's spent over a month doing squats and band stretches in front of a mirror to get better. He'll probably be a civilian soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X