Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roswell new mexico RSP

what do we receive at RSP?

Re: roswell new mexico RSP

ACU: Coat, 2 T-Shirts, Trousers, Belt, Patrol Cap, Socks, Boots, Name Tape, Service Tape, Flag Patch, Rank.
    PT: Windbreaker Jacket and Pants, Shorts, Long and Short sleeve shirts.
    Also: Hydration Pack, Battle Book

FYI: Try to not open so many threads with different questions to the same topic, your first thread was the best place to start and stay.

Comment

sorry Wiesenberger, thanks for info

Comment

No problem Jonah, just looking out for you before some forum trolls want to chime in.

Still don't hesitate to ask questions, keep them coming. I'm sure there will be more people wondering the same things as you.

Comment

trolololol lol lol... etc ...

but real talk, you are going to your first drill. the chances of you getting anything besides a water bottle, some sore muscles and a bad haircut are going to be slim to nil. If you happen to get in on a day they hand out ACUs then great, but don't wish for them that hard at this point. you will have your chance to get all Army-ed out soon enough. just take the time in rsp to learn, as it will GREATLY help you through red phase when you get to basic. knowing the soldiers creed, general orders, and rank structure will put you lightyears ahead of your active component counterparts

Comment

well to be honest, i wanted to go active to begin with, i just wanted to take the asvab and see what i can get. but i had to take my asvab at meps. i felt rushed, and forced into something I DID NOT want, and DONT want to do, they stuck me in 12N horizontal construction enginners, i had higher scores than that, i wanted active, and supply, and got stuck with guard and construction. i know there will be people out there that will read this and call me an idiot, but i kept saying no and was told i was not allowed to opt out since i was already there. since i have not gone to rsp yet, am i able to redo my contract? should i ask for them to kick me out so i can redo everything? kinda sucks when the only recruiter(other than the guard recruiter near me) are hours away.. not saying he was a bad recruiter, he was the nicest one out of the bunch.. just need a little input. thanks to anyone who can help and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah Barker View Post
              well to be honest, i wanted to go active to begin with, i just wanted to take the asvab and see what i can get. but i had to take my asvab at meps. i felt rushed, and forced into something I DID NOT want, and DONT want to do, they stuck me in 12N horizontal construction enginners, i had higher scores than that, i wanted active, and supply, and got stuck with guard and construction. i know there will be people out there that will read this and call me an idiot, but i kept saying no and was told i was not allowed to opt out since i was already there. since i have not gone to rsp yet, am i able to redo my contract? should i ask for them to kick me out so i can redo everything? kinda sucks when the only recruiter(other than the guard recruiter near me) are hours away.. not saying he was a bad recruiter, he was the nicest one out of the bunch.. just need a little input. thanks to anyone who can help and thanks
              Wow...just wow. You went to a guard recruiter and then are upset you are in the Guard??? You were "forced" to sign your contract?

You had to a lot of work before going to MEPS to "just take your ASVAB", which included completing your entire Guard application!!!

No one is going to buy that you were forced into anything. Better yet, please tell the whole story in detail at your first drill, you'll give a good laugh to everyone there.

Comment

Let me start by saying, I'm not a Recruiter or other nco/officer. The following is from what I've seen on the NG forums and from my own research and conversations with my recruiter, Drill Sgt., and cadre

Going AD from Guard can be an arduous process. From the things that I have seen, I believe your best bet to go AD, is to call up a Reg. Army Recruiter to get the ball rolling.
                To be released from your contract you have to get permission as far up as your state's Adjunct General.

You can re-class your MOS, it requires another trip up to MEPS. Remember you don't have to drill in your hometown. My drill unit is 97 miles away, I took my 15P MOS because I wanted to be in an aviation unit.
                Make sure your recruiter gives you a list of open/needed MOSs within your state.

Answer these questions for me please:
                Why AD over Guard?
                Have you gone to/finished school?
                What is your life plan for the next 6 years?
                What career do you want to have: in the AD Army or Guard and as an adult?
                You know that the guard will pay for college tuition right? (and that means from the day you sign a contract, not just after IET) Think of allowing the Guard to get you an education.
                Is money part of your desire for AD? Here's a little perspective. I make almost twice what an E-3 does in a month, as a food server only working 25-33 hrs per week.

I can ask a few more but these will open the conversation up a bit more. For me, the Guard is awesome, it allows me to finish my degree and further my education when I go for my master's. It opens so many opportunities for me and provide an amazing support system. It's so great to come into and organization and feel welcomed, protected and encouraged; but that's how my Nebraska Guard treats me. And I haven't been long at all.

I want to fly. I need to fly and the Guard is going to be the platform for me to experience that.
                I love advertising. I will be Don Draper and the Guard will allow me to be him.
                I'm going to be able to do my two professional passions because of my commitment to the National Guard. One or both of my passions wouldn't happen in the Reg. Army.
                Last edited by AWeisenberger; July 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah Barker View Post
                  I have a 4 year degree in Strategic Intelligence, and recently got an offer for a position at the GS9 level with a federal agency. My GT score was 127, with my overall asvab as a 97. I went Infantry. The asvab means nothing.. It takes the lowest score to get infantry, however the infantry has overall the highest average scores in the Army. so stop claiming that you were forced into something and just do your job, who knows, you might like it. If you don't, look into reclassing after you finish IET, then you will have skills in multiple disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                    however the infantry has overall the highest average scores in the Army
                    Really??? I'm sure you have a source to back that up right? (Because your 1SG said so does not count as a source FYI)

Side note: I'm not in any way down playing infantry or saying they don't have high scores, you just can't make a blanket statement like that without something to back it up.

Comment

I scored a 97 on my ASVAB and went Signal, and while I was at MEPS, some guy tells me he scored a 60 and is doing the same job (albeit for the Reserves, not Guard) so I'm honestly not sure where you could take a high ASVAB score in the Guard, all I know is I chose what I wanted to do and I'm excited to see what I can learn.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                        Really??? I'm sure you have a source to back that up right? (Because your 1SG said so does not count as a source FYI)

Side note: I'm not in any way down playing infantry or saying they don't have high scores, you just can't make a blanket statement like that without something to back it up.
                        I hate that you are calling me out on that one. I actually did used to have proof.. it was from a website somewhere, and we all know everything on the internet is true haha.. but in reality, the big reason for it is because most of the college kids go 11B to get through training before school starts back up, and most of the big time schools need the 110 GT score. Who knows if it is an absolute scientific fact, but everything i have heard and seen, not even in my COC, the infantry is the clear leader in average asvab, or GT at the very least. the point I was making though was that there are people who do the "dumb jobs" who are very intelectual and who are working very important jobs in the civ world

Comment

I'm sorry I know this is immature but when I saw this post I just started thinking of the supposed alien crash landing. Just had to throw that out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X