X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSP 4-5 august

Hey guys, i enlisted wednesday, and i go to RSP next month on the 4th and 5th. Just curious what do we do during RSP?

Re: RSP 4-5 august

You'll start off in red phase and go over some boring stuff like the Army's sexual harrassment policy. Every drill starts off with a PT test (at least in NY) so hopefully you're ready for that. You'll also do some drill and ceremony. You'll learn a lot as long as you listen to what your cadre say and take in everything you can. Its really fun and pretty easy IMO - the cadre know you're still a civilian and you're still learning, so don't stress about not being totally on point. My best advice is to learn from your cadre and your battle buddies. Iif you don't know what's going on, look to your right and look to your left, and copy what everyone else is doing. I have one more RSP drill before I ship (also on the 4th & 5th) and I can't wait - I wish RSP was every week instead of every month. Have fun and LEARN!

Comment

Originally posted by NY ARNG Woodard View Post
      You'll start off in red phase and go over some boring stuff like the Army's sexual harrassment policy. Every drill starts off with a PT test (at least in NY) so hopefully you're ready for that. You'll also do some drill and ceremony. You'll learn a lot as long as you listen to what your cadre say and take in everything you can. Its really fun and pretty easy IMO - the cadre know you're still a civilian and you're still learning, so don't stress about not being totally on point. My best advice is to learn from your cadre and your battle buddies. Iif you don't know what's going on, look to your right and look to your left, and copy what everyone else is doing. I have one more RSP drill before I ship (also on the 4th & 5th) and I can't wait - I wish RSP was every week instead of every month. Have fun and LEARN!
      This is some great advice! There's a whole section on the National Guard website that gives a break down on what you can expect at RSP. Check it out: http://bit.ly/Lb8SNZ

Comment

Hey Jonah,

Things to take: A sleeping bag or bedding, clothes to sleep in, ear plugs < some people don't understand what lights out means, especially fireguard.
        Toothbrush & paste, razor & shave cream/gel, soap/shampoo, towel, sunscreen and shower shoes
        Issued Uniforms (ACU & PT), Water bottle/hydration pack, battle book, pen.
        No Uniform; Jeans, t-shirt, shoe/boots, and a hat

In-processing: Get off the bus, put you stuff on your rack, then head over to the In-processing station. Here you'll fill out a form of basic personal contact info and a checklist of recent events like if you've talked to a police officer, gone to the hospital, gotten a ticket, etc.

Formation: After everyone is done with supply issues and in-processing, you'll form up in platoons consisting of your phases (Red, White, Blue and sometimes a green/gold)

Training: You'll take the 1-1-1 Fitness Assessment. 1 minute of push-ups and sit-ups and a 1 mile run. On the run we were only graded on the first mile, but actually ran for 2 miles. You should be able to do 13 push-ups, 17 sit-ups, one mile in 8:30. After PT you'll get to get fitted for a uniform (if you haven't already) shower and wait to go to chow. The rest of the day is spent in the class room and outside depending on your cadre's lesson plan. On Sunday, we woke up pretty early (04:30) did some PT, headed to shower, then chow and classroom. We made it off camp by 1330.

Opportunity: There may be times when you will have an opportunity to lead your platoon, do it. Red phase is all about you getting your feet wet and making mistakes, make them and learn from them.

Yes sir, err, uh I mean Sgt: Get used to saying 'Sergeant' to be polite rather than saying sir/ma'am (unless they are an officer. Again this is red phase, make your mistakes here)

Battle Buddy: Make sure when you get there, pick someone to team up with throughout the weekend so you can keep eachother accountable for instructions and times. Whenever you go somewhere makes sure you have another person with you, always.

Uniform: (Depends on your state) Get your recruiter take you out to your training site to get fitted for your uniforms (ACU, RSP-PT). If you aren't able to at least get your PT uniform, you'll look the part if you show up in Navy blue athletic shorts and a red or navy blue athletic shirt. Now this certainly not required at all, but if you're a perfectionist...

I'll probably think of a few more, Good Luck.
        Last edited by AWeisenberger; July 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, very good info.

Comment

Working...
          X