X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to pack for my first drill

As the title says I have my first drill this upcoming weekend, what do I all bring? What kinds of clothes, what types of shoes?

Re: What to pack for my first drill

I was given very little information by my recruiter prior to my first drill. I was told to bring some PT clothes/shoes and a comfortable change of clothes. When I showed up at my drill at least 75% of the new recruits had actual PT uniforms, hydration sources, and backpacks to lug everything around. I would suggest you talk to your recruiter about those items if you don't have them already. Also find out what you should actually show up in (you are probably going to show up in PT gear for the APFT to start the weekend).

Comment

Your recruiter is correct. Having some PT clothes, comfortable shoes, and a change of clothing is appropriate for your VERY first drill. Keep in mind that most RSP units will provide other "gear" once you get there. In fact, what items you are able to get can change from unit to unit, depending on their budget. I would recommend speaking to your cadre once you get to your RSP unit to see what other items you will need. No one will expect you to have everything that first day. http://bit.ly/Lb8SNZ

Have fun!

Comment

I just had my first RSP drill last month. I would suggest taking stuff to shower with (soap, shampoo, deodorant, towel, etc.) along with a change of clothes in case you are able to shower after the APFT. Bring a BLACK pen too because you'll be filling out a lot of paperwork. Wear a belt with your pants and tuck your shirt in. It's also important to SHAVE THE MORNING OF! Ten guys didn't shave before our drill, and we all got smoked for it. Our drill sargeant could spot facial hair from a mile away! And you might be the hero of the day if you take a cheapo disposable razor for the guys who forget. Be sure and get to sleep EARLY the night before, because it's going to be a long day. And eat breakfast before you go, because you might not get a chance to eat before the APFT. And DO NOT fall asleep during any part of the day. Drink lots of water (take a water bottle), but not too much right before running or situps, because you'll probably throw it all up. That's all that I wish I had known before my first RSP drill. Don't sweat it and just have fun! They won't get on you too bad your first day. Just use common sense and don't make any of the same mistakes twice.

Comment

I also had my first RSP last month, and I second everything that sv9 is saying above. I went in expecting to get yelled at and smoked, but that didn't happen at all. In fact, our NCO told us that regulation no longer allows them to administer 1-1-1 test on the first day, so we did almost zero physical activity until Sunday (and that was a breeze, assuming you've been exercising a little). Be prepared to be really bored at times, but as long as you listen and follow simple instructions, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by refcorp View Post
            I also had my first RSP last month, and I second everything that sv9 is saying above. I went in expecting to get yelled at and smoked, but that didn't happen at all. In fact, our NCO told us that regulation no longer allows them to administer 1-1-1 test on the first day, so we did almost zero physical activity until Sunday (and that was a breeze, assuming you've been exercising a little). Be prepared to be really bored at times, but as long as you listen and follow simple instructions, you'll be fine.
            My recruiter told me to wear workout shoes to RSP, I do have some, here is the link of what they look like, same color and everything are they ok?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...Shoes++Men.jsp

Comment

Any pair of running shoes will do - the link you posted looked fine, Bcutberth.

Sv9 I wish we got showers in NY Alpha Co 2nd Platoon! We stand in formation while the cadre shower off and come back for us.

I bring a change of under-clothes (socks, boxers, and a beater) and a can of Axe body spray. Definitely do yourself and your fellow warriors a favor and bring that stuff. Your buddies don't want to smell you on the drill floor

Most importantly, bring a good attitude and be ready to learn. If you put in the effort, you can learn a LOT at RSP.
              Last edited by NY ARNG Woodard; July 19th, 2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by refcorp View Post
                In fact, our NCO told us that regulation no longer allows them to administer 1-1-1 test on the first day, so we did almost zero physical activity until Sunday (and that was a breeze, assuming you've been exercising a little).
                That was definitely NOT the case at my first drill. First thing in the morning we loaded up and went to a local high school track. I was told we were doing the 1-1-1, but we actually had to do the 2-2-2. Its just that we were only graded on the first minute of pushups and situps and the first mile of our run. And it was hot as all get out that morning!

I actually injured my knee shortly after my first drill and haven't been able to run since. I got a doctors note for my upcoming 2nd drill this weekend to not do any PT. So we'll see if the Cadre give me any flack for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
                  My recruiter told me to wear workout shoes to RSP, I do have some, here is the link of what they look like, same color and everything are they ok?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...Shoes++Men.jsp
                  In civilian clothes, these shoes are fine. You might get some comments if you are in in the Army PT uniform. In my personal opinion, I would not bring those with you to BCT. Enjoy your RSP drill!

Comment

Indeed. Even if they allowed them, they would attract unwanted attention. And at boot camp....ALL attention is unwanted.

Comment

Working...
                    X