X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Condition/Discharge

Enlisted in ARNG waiting to ship to basic soon. Prior to going to MEPS i was told by recruiter to answer no to all medical questions even though I told him i had a past knee surgery. Just recently my medical condition requires knee surgery again. I told recruiter and he said to just go to basic anyway. I do not think my knee will make it. I want to come forward now. What are the consequences. Is it 100% sure that I will be discharged. That is not what I want.

Re: Medical Condition/Discharge

I know this isn't too helpful but it may or may not happen. TECHNICALLY falsification is grounds for disqualification. However, when I went through MEPS another applicant did not mark "yes" to one of the surgery questions and a nurse at MEPS saw a scar on his arm. He told her he had just "forgotten" about that surgery and they changed his paperwork for him right then so that he could continue. If you really feel that your knee is not going to make it then you should come clean.

Comment

If you have medical issues with your knee that will cause you problems in the future, and you knowingly don't report that during your enlistment, you most certainly can be charged with fraudulent enlistment.

I would recommend treating your knee first. Once you are healed, get a letter from your doctor stating that you are fit for training, and enlist from there. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are injured during training (even at drills), there will be an investigation and your previous medical records will be scrutinized. This is something that you cannot hide if you have a history of knee problems.

Here's a link to the DoDI 6130.03, Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

Review pages 29-31 for examples of what is disqualifying for Lower Extremities. This will help you determine if you will still be eligible after your knee surgery.

Comment

Really sorry that your recruiter allegedly told you to not disclose your knee surgery. Did you know that prior to enlisting your condition would potentially require surgery again? If you go to basic and get knee problems the Army will pull your medical records. You have already authorized them to do so. If/when they discover on their own that you did not disclose that you had knee issues/surgery in the past you are looking at facing a fraudulent enlistment. If your knee is an ongoing problem it is likely that it will be discovered as having been a pre-existing condition prior to joining. Honestly, based on what your saying and that you need surgery again it's likely you would have been denied enlistment had you disclosed this info.

I think your best bet would be to at least disclose that you currently need knee surgery and get the surgery and face the fact that you may be discharged.

Comment

This is a gray area where unfortunately many recruiters will differ in opinion. The way it had been explained to me was, if you had an injury, say you broke your arm when you were 4 years old, that you know is 100% healed and will NOT affect your job performance in the military, there is almost no point in disclosing it, because for one, to produce ORIGINAL documentation and / or find a physician TODAY that would stake their name on pure speculation and or testimony from you on an injury that was say, a decade old, would be time and labor intensive, and in some cases if records are lost or destroyed - inmpossible.

The DoD is about the bottom line, period. If there's no gainful value in it, they're not going after it, whatever the scale. Obviously there is a difference between this type of injury and say, shoulder, knee, or spinal surgery, and if you're old enough / mature enough to be enlisting / considering enlistment then YOU know the difference.

The rules and consequences are what they say but you're never going to be penalized in a harsh or lasting way in the military for acting on good judgement and values - period.

Comment

I'm curious as to a why in the time of drawndown when people are being let go for any reasonable cause, and qualified applicants are bountiful that a recruiter would knowingly (allegedly) have a someone falsify MEPS documents to get them in?

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
              I'm curious as to a why in the time of drawndown when people are being let go for any reasonable cause, and qualified applicants are bountiful that a recruiter would knowingly (allegedly) have a someone falsify MEPS documents to get them in?
              Let me preface this by saying I am not endorsing this behavior, now with that being said. Sometimes the recruiter is thinking they are helping the applicant. They have a person that is dead set on joining, but then the applicant brings up "insert issue here", so the recruiter tells him "if you want to join, answer no to all questions". Often times the applicant is so wrapped up in the excitement of joining that they do answer no to everything just so they can join.

Comment

A small injury at home station will turn into a major problem down range at Basic Training. Fix yourself before shipping to BT even if that means you will be discharged. You can always come back and enlist again if your knee is fixed and does not reqire any pins in the knee joint.

Comment

Working...
                X