Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Transfer while during RSP or BCT/AIT?

Hello all! I recently joined the Illinois Army National Guard and I leave for BCT/AIT as a 68W within two weeks. I am originally from Michigan and was told that performing an IST while in RSP or BCT/AIT is not possible. My recruiter has been... far less than helpful. I go to school in Michigan and to come home to a unit in Michigan would be much preferred.

I'm looking for any and all help on this problem. With the pay I'm receiving, the two RSP drills I have done do not come close to covering expenses.

If there are any Michigan or Illinois NG recruiters who could help me on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for help (Illinois or Michigan Recruiters)

I am in Michigan; where do you go to school? It'll be more productive if I get you in touch with someone close to where you'll be.

Comment

Re: Interstate Transfer while during RSP or BCT/AIT?

No need to post the same question in multiple threads, the moderators will just merge them anyway.

Comment

also, your recruiter lied to you. I didn't see your other post (it is too early to look), but ask your DS to send you to the NG liaison either at reception or in your training unit, he will initiate it, and the civilian in your company will work with him to get the paperwork in order. It isn't all that complicated, especially since you havent been to a unit yet

I mean in AIT.. I was thinking OSUT, but medic is not OSUT. my b
        Last edited by iambrian90; May 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: added AIT part

Comment

It is up to the particular state as to whether they will accept an IST before you have completed AIT. Most states require that the soldier be fully MOSQ before accepting them. So your recruiter is probably shooting you straight. It is possible to perhaps initiate it near the end of AIT, but it won't be able to happen until after you graduate so your recruiter was not lying to you.

Comment

HR is correct, I have heard that the soldier must be MOSQ's and then it must still go through the COC to have you released from your unit (other posts on the thread suggest your home state unit doesn't 'have to' release you, but it is also a matter of whether the Michigan unit will accept you.

I would focus on BCT and AIT right now and look pursue it closer to the end of AIT, like HR suggested. It is "possible" but there are a few factors involved.

Comment

Tayscore, you are IN the Illinois Army National Guard. I am not certain, given the information you provided (i.e. you are from, and attend school in Michigan) why you enlisted into the Illinois Guard. You are ALREADY IN a unit. Your Recruiter obtained a 68W Para/Ln for you when you enlisted. (I have no idea obviously where). Every state has an IST coordinator, whos primary responsiblity is the intake and outflow of soldiers between states. When you return from BCT/AIT contact the IST coordinator and attempt to initiate a transfer. The process is reasonable but not without potential issues as any IST office will tell you. A number of years ago, I did an interstate transfer TO Michigan as a 91A (Grandfather to 68W)....but wait until you become MOSqd. Messing with your inital AD pipeline does not seem like a smart idea to me. Anyone else agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                Tayscore, you are IN the Illinois Army National Guard. I am not certain, given the information you provided (i.e. you are from, and attend school in Michigan) why you enlisted into the Illinois Guard. You are ALREADY IN a unit. Your Recruiter obtained a 68W Para/Ln for you when you enlisted. (I have no idea obviously where). Every state has an IST coordinator, whos primary responsiblity is the intake and outflow of soldiers between states. When you return from BCT/AIT contact the IST coordinator and attempt to initiate a transfer. The process is reasonable but not without potential issues as any IST office will tell you. A number of years ago, I did an interstate transfer TO Michigan as a 91A (Grandfather to 68W)....but wait until you become MOSqd. Messing with your inital AD pipeline does not seem like a smart idea to me. Anyone else agree?
                Yes, this is what I have just found out in the last few minutes as well from here in Michigan. (but I'm hardly in authority on the topic.... )

Comment

Working...
                X