X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first RSP this past weekend

So Saturday and Sunday was my first RSP weekend, and I thought I'd type my thoughts and experience here in case newer warriors or potential enlistees are curious. I have no prior service, and I'm a little older (28) than most of the other warriors there. First thing Saturday morning at 0615 we got into formation, and I immediately had to start learning by watching others and remembering. I was going in hoping to be instructed in everything, but as it turns out being thrown into it was a great way to learn. I knew I would pass the PT test fine, but I didn't know by how much. I did 42 pushups, 29 situps, and ran the mile in 6:51. the pushups and situps were about where I guessed, i knew situps would be my weakest, but my run time kinda surprised me. I was hoping to run it in close to 7:15. I still have a lot of work i want to do between now and my Aug 20 ship date, but i'm pleased with my starting point. after PT test was a lot of death by powerpoint, and since i've had a few jobs most of the HR type stuff I'd heard before, so it was doubly boring. i live close enough to the RSP location that i was able to drive home and sleep in my own bed, and be back at 0600 on sunday. more DBP, then we had a shippers party at the park with softball, and some silly team building relay exercises like bobbing for apples, four man pushups and other stuff. it ended with a water balloon fight where it was mostly the warriors trying to soak the cadre. The highlight of the whole weekend was our Battalion Commander actually made a visit on Saturday and spoke with us. I'm not too green to appreciate how special and rare that was.

Overall it was a great experience. The cadre was great, I was able to get a combination of jumping off the high dive and walking in the shallow end as far as learning military ceremony, etc. There was a lot of hurry up and waiting which I know i have to get used to. there wasn't time for any actual drill instruction, so after we were dismissed sunday i pulled a Cpl to instruct me on the proper way to left face, right face, about face, b/c i knew i had been doing it incorrectly all weekend. he told me that we would get more instruction next drill. one of the other warriors i had met at MEPS b/c we had the same recruiter was there, and it was her second drill, and she said it was cake compared to her first, where they got smoked a lot and had to do a lot more PT. as much fun as the shipper party was, I am looking forward to more "army" stuff. we didn't even go over the history of the National Guard, any songs, general orders, or anything of that nature. Either way, i can tell that overall the RSP is a great program. I'd rather be learning this stuff now and asking the nice cadre for help with stuff than my DS when i get to basic.

Re: My first RSP this past weekend

Sounds like a great start! Enjoy the fun times now, because you'll likely have more challenging training later. Are you nervous about BCT at all?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      Sounds like a great start! Enjoy the fun times now, because you'll likely have more challenging training later. Are you nervous about BCT at all?
      I think i have a healthy, respectful fear/nervousness about BCT. I'm always a little nervous about the unknown, but I know I will be able to excel there and it will most likely be the best experience of my life thusfar. I spoke with a fellow 11B this weekend that just got back from Ft. Benning a couple weeks ago, and he kinda let me know what i was in for. I'm looking forward to it, but i know i have some mental and physical preparation in the meantime.

Comment

Not bad for a 28 year old without prior military experience. Be that shining beacon at BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Not bad for a 28 year old without prior military experience. Be that shining beacon at BCT.
          Thanks. typically when i'm in a new crowd i hang back and observe and don't really open up until i feel more comfortable and know the people. This weekend, being one of the older people there, i stepped into a leader role quicker than i usually do. granted, i couldn't instruct on anything military, but i respectfully kept some of the younger kids' mouths in check when NCOs weren't around, made sure everyone on my team got a chance to play (some had never seen a baseball game) and tried to make sure they all felt involved. I know that as i become more knowledgable I will be able to lead even more.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I'm a 26 year old E-3 and have been to 2 RSP drills total thus far. I experienced many of the same things you write about and enjoyed all of them. I ship 29102012 for 11B OSUT at Ft. Benning.

Comment

Softball? Waterballoon fights? Good gravy! Thats a walk in the park compared to my drills here in Arizona. Formation starts at 0530, which includes a lovely shark attack every Sunday morning. Last weekend was the gas chamber!

Well, enjoy it while you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                Softball? Waterballoon fights? Good gravy! Thats a walk in the park compared to my drills here in Arizona. Formation starts at 0530, which includes a lovely shark attack every Sunday morning. Last weekend was the gas chamber!

Well, enjoy it while you can!
                Yeah, one of the people i met at MEPS before said the drill last month was a lot tougher. I expect the next couple to be more intense. I hope they are, anyway.

Comment

May tends to be an eaiser drill for RSP simply because that is when everyone ships, and they dont want them hurting themselves so close to their ship date.

Comment

So you actually could go through the gas chamber before BCT?

Comment

builds character.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                        builds character.. lol
                        I know it sounds bad, but thats one of the things I fear.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny27 View Post
                          I know it sounds bad, but thats one of the things I fear.
                          haha everyone does, thats why they do it. Dont worry though, it is kind of one of those "hold my beer and watch this" kind of moments, you all pile in there, do it, and come out. the whole thing probably lasted 5 minutes, maybe 1 min of that with the mask off.

Comment

haha everyone does, thats why they do it. Dont worry though, it is kind of one of those "hold my beer and watch this" kind of moments, you all pile in there, do it, and come out. the whole thing probably lasted 5 minutes, maybe 1 min of that with the mask off.
                            Haha, that's pretty accurate. Some people said it was painful, but most people in my BCT agreed that it was more annoying than anything. I've had allergies my whole life, so projectile coughing snot and mucus while uncontrollably coughing was nothing new to me.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X