Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WO Pilots

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around since before I enlisted, asking and answering questions, and now I have a request.

I'm wanting to put in a WO package for aviation, a dream I've had since I was a kid. I did 4 years Active Marines and 2 years reserve as an 0311/0341 (infantry), and have been in the Guard as a 68W since May. I'm a year away from graduating, and my secondary plan is to commission in the Army through OCS if this doesn't work out. However, I would like for it to work out and am doing everything in my power to make this a reality. I did 2 years of AFROTC hoping to be a pilot for them, but decided based off 1.5 years of AFROTC and my wife's experiences as an officer (she commissioned in 2011) that it wasn't the right branch for me. I've finally landed 100% of Army WO Aviation.

My problem is, I need LORs from Army pilots. I live next to an Air National Guard Captain pilot, but he unfortunately does not know any WOs in the Army. I'm hoping that I can talk with a few WOs and tell you why I believe I would make an ideal candidate. If anyone would be willing to talk with me, please do not hesitate to contact me. If anyone knows of any WO Pilots in CO/WY, I would love to sit down with you and talk man to man (or man to woman). I'm willing to drive or fly any distance to talk face to face.

Thanks for your time.

Re: WO Pilots

If you are trying to seek out Warrants, either contact the WO Aviation Proponent contact on the WO Recruiting website or do a people find in AKO and do an advanced search on WOs in the Aviation Branch. Possibly a result from that search will conjure up a Senior (CW3-CW5) WO Aviator near you. Send a polite e-mail on the reasons why you contacting that individual. Most will respond and provide suitable advice.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you, Chief. Being new to the Army I didn't realize these avenues existed to me. AKO is still a maze that my little Marine mind is trying to wade through.

Comment

You really need to work with an aviation unit to support your packet or better yet join the unit. They will have the slots and can have impact on whether or not you even get into the unit as a warrant. Just cold calling a warrant asking for a letter probably isn't going to work. This is a long, drawn out process in which your goal is several years away.

Comment

For the record, my post was not about cold calling a WO for a recommendation letter. Leave the cold calling to the retail brokers and telemarketers but there is nothing wrong with e-mailing or even calling a WO for information on where to find a unit where you can get a face to face interview. I have sent and received e-mails to/from individuals that I never engaged before. We all are green suiters and should be able to help any Soldier who reaches out for questions and assistance. For the aviator WO route, the timeline is actually less than attempting for the technical WO path.

Good luck.

Comment

I had no plans to telemarketer call anyone, sirs. But Chief's suggestions led me to 2 websites that were very helpful in answering many questions I had.

Comment

Working...
            X