X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG E5 to Active Duty Warrant

I am currently an E5 in the national guard. I am eligible to go warrant but I do not want to do it in the national guard. I would be interested in going Active duty when i go the warrant officer route. Is this possible or am I better off going about it another way?

Re: NG E5 to Active Duty Warrant

What Warrant MOS are you qualified for?

Comment

Hello,

I have asked so many people with this particulay question where some says Go AGR as an enlisted first and then try for Warrant, and then there are some who says Go Warrant and you should be able to find an active duty position as a 92A. hmmm

So here is my story:

I am a 92Y with 14 years of experience, in the NG as an E-5. Please dont ask why I got out at 13 years active duty. Chapter 5-8 came at the wrong time. No way around in trying to sweep that situation under the carpet. Current Situation is under control.

I would like to go Warrant as a 920A, but on active duty status. I was told by many that its harder for a NG warrant not on Active Duty status to find a 920A position (AGR). Its easier if Im already on AGR status to find a position as a 920A providing I am successful at WOC school to find a position.

Thank you.

Comment

You're making a huge assumptiong that you would be selected for a warrant postion or that you can even find a TPU 920A position.

Generally, I'd say it would be easier if you're currently a warrant officer to apply to be in the AGR program as warrant vs applying for a AGR warrant postion as enlisted.

BTW, you should probably start a new thread next time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          You're making a huge assumptiong that you would be selected for a warrant position or that you can even find a TPU 920A position.

BTW, you should probably start a new thread next time.
          +1 to the Bolded, +2 to the new thread comment.

Originally posted by naiatea View Post
          Hello,

I have asked so many people with this particulay question where some says Go AGR as an enlisted first and then try for Warrant, and then there are some who says Go Warrant and you should be able to find an active duty position as a 92A. hmmm

So here is my story:

I am a 92Y with 14 years of experience, in the NG as an E-5. Please dont ask why I got out at 13 years active duty. Chapter 5-8 came at the wrong time. No way around in trying to sweep that situation under the carpet. Current Situation is under control.

I would like to go Warrant as a 920A, but on active duty status. I was told by many that its harder for a NG warrant not on Active Duty status to find a 920A position (AGR). Its easier if Im already on AGR status to find a position as a 920A providing I am successful at WOC school to find a position.

Thank you.
          I am assuming you are a female with a Chapter 5-8 (Family Care Plan) but probably based on your rank and years of service, you probably would have been chaptered due to RCP (unless you were/are promotable in AD status and if not; in the Guard it is harder to achieve P status since E6 promotions are annual not monthly compared to AD). (http://www.armyreenlistment.com/Mess...CP_Changes.pdf ) <-- Look at the AGR RCP (Title 10 - Title 32 may be different) as well. Same as AD. Seems like you could not go an an AGR enlisted based on that. Also, saying that you can find a 920A position based on being successful at WOC is irrelevant. Bottom line is that you better be successful at WOC no matter what and then take it from there.

I know WO requirements on the NG side differ from AD but they still look at the total Soldier concept.

If I would take your current information you posted about yourself and apply to a 920A on AD, you will have to submit an AFS waiver (since you have over 12 AFS) and all of your NCOERs. Then find a senior WO (CW3-CW5) 920A that will write you a letter of recommendation based on your record. Also, I would have to see if you have a 110 GT or any college courses completed or degree.

To give you a guage, here is an older AD list of 920As that were selected. Only SSG and SFC were selected. That is how strict some of the selections are. Yes, the Guard may accept an E5 as a WO Candidate compared to AD. From experience, even though the description says E5s can apply; most likely they will not get selected unless they walk on water. I applied as an E5 and did not get selected until I was an E6.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...officer-course

Granted that an AD E5 may have an abundance of knowledge over a NG/RA 92Y E6 or E7 but a question that may pop-up, was why were you an E5 after 13 years? Especially when I know other 92Ys that were E6s after 8 years of active service. Those questions may and can come into play. The assumption will be, could she not hack it nor qualified on AD but now trying to capitalize while in the NG. Nothing wrong with that but we look for the best to become Warrants.

Here is what the 920A WO MOS entails http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...u/WO920A.shtml

You will have to speak to a WO Strength Manager in your state. They will determine if you will be eligible to become a candidate and if you will go through state or federal (Fort Rucker) WOCS.

Good luck and BTW, I am an AD Warrant Officer so do not take my comments as bashing; just giving you the reality of the vetting process and what we look for. People do not become WOs because they just want to be. It is a long list of obstacles to achieve.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X