Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy O-3 to Army NG CWO-1?

Hello, and thanks for the great forum.

After talking to three different recruiters I'm more confused than ever about the process of switching from USN active duty LT to National Guard CWO. My goal is to become an aviation warrant officer-- do I need to go Navy O to NG enlisted to NG CWO? That seems very convoluted although I would happily go down that road if necessary.

The recruiters I have spoken to (In TX, CA, and HI) have given me really mixed messages about the process.
    My info-
    28yo
    Gas Turbine Engineer, Surface Warfare Officer
    6 years of sea time
    about 190 hours of flight time (currently working on commercial license)
    0-3, great evals
    300+ pft score
    TS/SCI

I have a lot of experience with aviation operations besides just my flying time- I was the air officer for an air capable destroyer, as well as air facilities and safety officer.

I'm only about a month from signing my DD 214 (honorable discharge) and I'd like to set something solid up with the National Guard before that ink is dry because I have a gut feeling that this all gets MUCH more complicated afterwards. Can anyone here shed some light on what processes I should be engaging? Thank you so much.
    Last edited by FlyingSquid; June 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM.

Re: Navy O-3 to Army NG CWO-1?

As a Chief Warrant Officer, I always had to correct the Warrant Officer 1 interpretation as WO1 not CWO1 or CW1. A Warrant Officer is not a Chief until they get promoted to CW2. The US Navy does not have a WO1 grade. They all start at CWO2 because I guess a newly pinned Warrant does not want to get trumped by the E-7 "Chief" Petty Officer lol.

You will have to resign your commission to pursue the WOFT program. A WO Strength Manager in the state that you are interested in flying can provide more details.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 8th, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSquid View Post
      Hello, and thanks for the great forum.

After talking to three different recruiters I'm more confused than ever about the process of switching from USN active duty LT to National Guard CWO. My goal is to become an aviation warrant officer-- do I need to go Navy O to NG enlisted to NG CWO? That seems very convoluted although I would happily go down that road if necessary.

The recruiters I have spoken to (In TX, CA, and HI) have given me really mixed messages about the process.
      My info-
      28yo
      Gas Turbine Engineer, Surface Warfare Officer
      6 years of sea time
      about 190 hours of flight time (currently working on commercial license)
      0-3, great evals
      300+ pft score
      TS/SCI

I have a lot of experience with aviation operations besides just my flying time- I was the air officer for an air capable destroyer, as well as air facilities and safety officer.

I'm only about a month from signing my DD 214 (honorable discharge) and I'd like to set something solid up with the National Guard before that ink is dry because I have a gut feeling that this all gets MUCH more complicated afterwards. Can anyone here shed some light on what processes I should be engaging? Thank you so much.
      there is no direct entrance to warrant officer flight training in the National Guard in other words you already have to be in the guard to apply or go forward with the process for flight training however you may not necessarily have to resign your commission and en list to do so you may very well be able to join as an 03 and then submit the application there are many officers who apply and later become a Warrant Officer you really need to talk to the officer strength manager or the Warrant Officer strength manager at the state that you want to live in

Comment

You really are looking to see what it's like on the other end of the universe. Good luck.

Comment

Enter the Guard as an O3, then apply for flight WO. Enlisted recruiters have no relevance to your case, get them to put you in touch with the State's OSM or WOSM.

Comment

I did the transition from active duty Navy O-3, to reserve Navy O-4, to FL ARNG CW2. I was a pilot in the Navy, so the transition was different than yours would be. PM me if you have any questions about the O to CW or Navy to Army transition.

Comment

Thank you all for the great gouge.

I previously tried to contact the WOSM in TX and HI several times and (understandably, I feel) got blown off- It's just a really convoluted case I guess. I'll reach out to the OSM since that seems to be the more appropriate guy as you have explained it (O-3 to O-3 to WO1). Thanks again for all the great advice, and I'll be shooting a couple PMs out too. Can't thank you enough.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSquid View Post
                Thank you all for the great gouge.

I previously tried to contact the WOSM in TX and HI several times and (understandably, I feel) got blown off- It's just a really convoluted case I guess. I'll reach out to the OSM since that seems to be the more appropriate guy as you have explained it (O-3 to O-3 to WO1). Thanks again for all the great advice, and I'll be shooting a couple PMs out too. Can't thank you enough.
                I'm fairly certain, that because you are an O-3, you would actually skip W1 and go right to 2. Ensure you educate yourself on a topic called "save pay".

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                  I'm fairly certain, that because you are an O-3, you would actually skip W1 and go right to 2. Ensure you educate yourself on a topic called "save pay".
                  True. But I think there's a stipulation, like 2 years time-in-grade as an O-3 to revert to W2.

Comment

Hi sir. I am the Army National Guard Warrant Officer Strength Manager and would like to have an opportunity to discuss opportunities with you in your desire to become a Warrant Officer. You can contact me at 703-607-2599.

Comment

Working...
                    X