X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active vs. Guard Warrant Officer

Are there more flight training slots open for National Guard or Active Army Warrant Officer applicants (i.e., what would be the more beneficial path in terms of chances of obtaining a slot)?

Re: Active vs. Guard Warrant Officer

Flight Training slots period are tricky right now. I'm waiting to hear when I'll get a slot once I commission in August.

Ft. Rucker is expecting to lose a lot of training slots at the tail end of this year and on into next year (thanks sequestration), so their throughput is going to go down significantly. This will ripple across all the components.

The NG does not have a WOFT fast track program like Active Duty, so you'd have to follow this path: enlist and choose an MOS, go to BCT, go to AIT, come home to your unit and submit a packet for Warrant Officer.

Comment

Would you recommend completing BCT, AIT, joining the unit, going active and then submitting a packet? I have heard that it would be almost impossible to complete WOCS and WOFT and then go active... By the way, what is this fast track program? If it is what I am thinking of I'm almost certain it was cancelled years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tclarky View Post
        Would you recommend completing BCT, AIT, joining the unit, going active and then submitting a packet? I have heard that it would be almost impossible to complete WOCS and WOFT and then go active... By the way, what is this fast track program? If it is what I am thinking of I'm almost certain it was cancelled years ago.
        He means that for Active Duty you can submit your packet for flight school before you join the Army vs the NG where you have to be a member of the unit before submitting your packet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tclarky View Post
          First off, drop the concept of "going active". It's been discussed here at length in half a dozen posts. Right now, the big Army is being super-selective on who, what and when they'll take a transfer. Plus, NG units (as a whole.... there are always exceptions) are not going to let go of a newly MOSQ'd soldier just for the soldier's benefit/career gain.

If you want to go to WOCS and WOFT in the NG, if I were you, I would enlist into an AV MOS (crew chief, mechanic, avionics, etc). Get MOSQ'd and do you job, and do it well, for a while. Do an AT or 2 and prove you know your stuff. While you are making this show of how good of a soldier you are, get to know you CoC and the like.

When ready, drop your packet for WOCS and WOFT. Hopefully by then, you will have proved how much you rock and made friends with the people who will support you by giving you a slot as a pilot. Most AV pilot slots require an interview and LOA. If you are from that unit, are a rockstar and what not, it is much easier for them to keep you then take a chance on a some other W1.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. The reason I want to go active is because I would like to make this a career for me. I know AGR is a possibility but I have other plans that require me to be active so I'm still going to do that sometime.

I am as of now, 15P Flight Ops, so I'm assigned to the (only) aviation unit in my state and will most likely later re-class to 15T after AIT (kind of a long story as to why I'm not a 15T right now). I know quite a few of the guys in the unit including the more prominent, higher-ranking pilots and commanders. They are aware of my intentions to become a pilot for them as well. By the time I join the unit I will also have earned my PPL. That should definitely help with what I'm striving for... I just have to prove to them, like you said, that I am a good soldier. I'm just anxious to get into WOCS and do all this. Haha.

Comment

Just do your time and do it well. A unit is not going to sign off on someone quickly just because. Relax, slow down your approach and work your problem one step at a time....

Comment

The latest AD WOCS selection list and you can see a gauge of the ranks getting selected. Does each state release their lists?

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...dates-list-out

Look at the 255s category.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  The latest AD WOCS selection list and you can see a gauge of the ranks getting selected. Does each state release their lists?

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...dates-list-out

Look at the 255s category.
                  Not very many below E5. Looks like E6 is the comfy rank to apply at. Surprised to see a couple of CPTs on that list...

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                    Not very many below E5. Looks like E6 is the comfy rank to apply at. Surprised to see a couple of CPTs on that list...
                    Roger. There is an LT in my BN that applied for flight warrant but did not get it. He is leaving the Army in a few months. They want to fly real bad, so they do not mind taking the Warrant path.

I got selected when I was an E-6.

Comment

Working...
                    X