X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Currently in Flight School

I will be starting BWS in a few weeks and if all goes as planned I'll be graduating from here in about 6-7 months as a 60 driver.

However, my passion is Guns. It's the reason I joined the Guard, to go guns. My state doesn't have that option. I feel blessed and honored to have a flight slot at my current state. I don't want to burn any bridges, especially knowing how small and tight knit the Aviation community is.

I'm looking for some guidance from some of the guys who have been in the game for a while. For those who have switched air frames, was it a hassle? Were there issues with your home unit (drama)? Would you recommend I get a few years under my helmet and log some serious hours before contemplating it? I'm looking to learn off the experience of others who have been in my boots.

I know, I know. 25m Target. Right now my main goal should be to graduate, as I am only half way there. I just wish there was a way to switch air frames/states BEFORE I get trained up on a bird whose mission doesn't light the fire in my heart.... and to do it drama free at that!

At the end of the day, I'm thankful to be here and if it would create problems with my unit/state, I won't pursue this. Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: I'm Currently in Flight School

Originally posted by JCVL View Post
    I will be starting BWS in a few weeks and if all goes as planned I'll be graduating from here in about 6-7 months as a 60 driver.

However, my passion is Guns. It's the reason I joined the Guard, to go guns. My state doesn't have that option. I feel blessed and honored to have a flight slot at my current state. I don't want to burn any bridges, especially knowing how small and tight knit the Aviation community is.

I'm looking for some guidance from some of the guys who have been in the game for a while. For those who have switched air frames, was it a hassle? Were there issues with your home unit (drama)? Would you recommend I get a few years under my helmet and log some serious hours before contemplating it? I'm looking to learn off the experience of others who have been in my boots.

I know, I know. 25m Target. Right now my main goal should be to graduate, as I am only half way there. I just wish there was a way to switch air frames/states BEFORE I get trained up on a bird whose mission doesn't light the fire in my heart.... and to do it drama free at that!

At the end of the day, I'm thankful to be here and if it would create problems with my unit/state, I won't pursue this. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Do you wish to fly as a civilian occupation as well?

Comment

Not necessarily, however, I know of the opportunities available for my air frame. It's always an option.

Comment

And it is significantly less, maybe non existent on an apache. You know that, you're there.

Comment

You know the AH-64 has no VOR (or TACAN if you're on M models) and is therefore seriously lacking in IFR capability? You know that will reduce you're chance at an aviation job in the civilian sector? You also know that due to DA the AH-64 can hardly carry any ordnance in Afghanistan which is where were currently deploying the most? Did you know that the top aviation unit in the US Army (160th SOAR) uses the 60 as its primary attack helicopter over the apache? Wonder why?
          Last edited by ack202; November 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I don't know what state you're in, but I know for example in VA our pilots incur a 6 year obligation to VA. That may be something you'd need to check into before looking at transferring states.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
              You also know that due to DA the AH-64 can hardly carry any ordnance in Afghanistan which is where were currently deploying the most? Did you know that the top aviation unit in the US Army (160th SOAR) uses the 60 as its primary attack helicopter over the apache? Wonder why?
              The OP may not wonder why, but I certainly do! Why is the AH-64 shunned by the 160th SOAR?

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                The OP may not wonder why, but I certainly do! Why is the AH-64 shunned by the 160th SOAR?
                Its not shunned, its just not practical for their mission. They need birds that can carry troops, as their primary mission is to support the Spec Ops community. Makes much more sense to just add attack capabilities to birds that can move troopers.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                  I don't know what state you're in, but I know for example in VA our pilots incur a 6 year obligation to VA. That may be something you'd need to check into before looking at transferring states.
                  And just how exactly do they enforce that? They may incur a 6 year MSO, but telling them they have to remain in VA is a smoke screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    And just how exactly do they enforce that? They may incur a 6 year MSO, but telling them they have to remain in VA is a smoke screen.
                    The Honors System.

Comment

From the VA Warrant Officer Procurment Guide :

". Final SAAO Interview and Acceptance.

a. Each applicant will be notified in writing of his or her acceptance or non-acceptance to the Warrant Officer IERW Program. They will schedule a final interview with the SAAO for an official acceptance to attend WOCS and IERW. Individual six (6) year obligations will be reviewed and documented at this time."

Comment

a. Each applicant will be notified in writing of his or her acceptance or non-acceptance to the Warrant Officer IERW Program. They will schedule a final interview with the SAAO for an official acceptance to attend WOCS and IERW. Individual six (6) year obligations will be reviewed and documented at this time."
                        Understood, but I'm with Paralegal on this one. How will they actually enforce this if the person is willing to either resign his WO commission and IST altogether? I would imagine the intent of this is to continue to utilize a WO in the capacity of a pilot.

Comment

There is a 6 year military service obligation assocciated with WOFT. That is a Guard thing, not a Virginia thing. They can tell applicants all they want that they must remain in VA. It is not an enforcebale rule. You cannot tell a drilling member that they cannot move to Guam if they wish.

Comment

There is a 6 year military service obligation assocciated with WOFT. That is a Guard thing, not a Virginia thing. They can tell applicants all they want that they must remain in VA. It is not an enforcebale rule. You cannot tell a drilling member that they cannot move to Guam if they wish.
                            +1. Any obligation to remain in a particular state is simply a "gentleman's agreement".

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                              You know the AH-64 has no VOR (or TACAN if you're on M models) and is therefore seriously lacking in IFR capability? You know that will reduce you're chance at an aviation job in the civilian sector? You also know that due to DA the AH-64 can hardly carry any ordnance in Afghanistan which is where were currently deploying the most? Did you know that the top aviation unit in the US Army (160th SOAR) uses the 60 as its primary attack helicopter over the apache? Wonder why?
                              Yes. I know all of that. I own 3 businesses outside of the Guard. Getting an Aviation job in the civilian sector was never one of my plans or interests. However, as mentioned, it's always something to fall back on. For my time in the Guard, personally, I prefer the mission that comes with flying Apaches. I'm not here to discuss the differences in air frames or which would provide me with better opportunities outside of the Guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X