Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much flight time as a guard pilot?

I'm considering flight school. I want as many hours as possible before I get out so I can get a good civilian job as a pilot. I'm in the guard right now and working on getting into flight school. I'd like to know if Theres any WO's here that can explain how often you fly as a national guard aviator. I know it's more than once a month.. Do you fly as much as active duty guys?

Re: How much flight time as a guard pilot?

Originally posted by Djm325 View Post
    I'm considering flight school. I want as many hours as possible before I get out so I can get a good civilian job as a pilot. I'm in the guard right now and working on getting into flight school. I'd like to know if Theres any WO's here that can explain how often you fly as a national guard aviator. I know it's more than once a month.. Do you fly as much as active duty guys?
    Any WO aviators want to chime in? I know that being in Aviation as a WO can help you get flight hours but I honestly don't know how much. From the National Guard website: Aviation
    Last edited by RyCass; October 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Djm325 View Post
      I am an active duty aviator, I fly UH-60M. I know that the guard guys must fly the same flight times minimums that the active side of the house flys. Now don't put a smile on your face just yet because the minimums are very low. If it is flight time you are looking for in order to get a civilian pilot job, It will take you years "5-6 or even up to ten" to build that time. As far as aviation is concerned, military pilots do not build time quickly. I have been flying in the army on the active side since 2009 and I have accumulated 800hrs so far. That included a deployment and I am on a second deployment as an aviator now. So flight time does not come quickly. In the guard, you are obviously not going to get as much flight time as on the active duty side. You have up to 72 training days a year that you can use to go in and fly, plus your drill weekends and your two weeks in the summer to make your requirements. "48hrs semi annually" If you were to do the math and then research the civilian market, most of the helicopter jobs out there require 1000-1500 hours to get hired. I can say that you could get lucky and someone might hire you at the FAR part 135 requirements, but that is not likely because that only requires 500 hours and with the way things have been working in the civilian market, "gas prices went up"...... minimum flight time requirements go up "insurance rates go down" if you catch my drift. I highly encourage you to pursue your passion, if flying is something you would like to do, please do. I grew up as a kid wanting to fly all my life.. I finished up four years in the Marines, went through a couple civilian flight schools.. accumulated a ton of debt which on a monthly basis equals my house note and I joined the army and started flying blackhawks. I grew up in louisiana and plan on returning there and flying so I keep up with how the civilian market has been for helicopter pilots. You could also consider holding a regular non flying job outside of the guard and just fly when you train, that way you are still a pilot, you still fly, "may not be all the time" but you are still an aviator and nothing comes out of pocket and maybe one day down the road, you can find that you have enough flight time to get hired. It is either very costly to build flight time or is very time consuming if you are letting the army build it for you. I cant tell you which route to take, but those are the options.

CW2 Ducote

Comment

CW2 Ducote is dead on. The only addition/correction I'll make is that AFTPs are 4 hour periods. Our state expects you to average 1.5 hours per AFTP, so that would come out to 72 * 1.5 = 108 hrs per year. In actuality, if you can get the time off of what ever job you have, you could exceed the 108 hrs by doing additional no pay AFTPs, flying during AT and drill, and averaging more than 1.5 hrs per AFTP.

As a full time technician (MTP/ME) my yearly totals have been between 120 and 230 hours per year. Now that I am tracked IP also I am sure I can fly as much as I want, not that I couldn't before.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLyman View Post
          CW2 Ducote is dead on. The only addition/correction I'll make is that AFTPs are 4 hour periods. Our state expects you to average 1.5 hours per AFTP, so that would come out to 72 * 1.5 = 108 hrs per year. In actuality, if you can get the time off of what ever job you have, you could exceed the 108 hrs by doing additional no pay AFTPs, flying during AT and drill, and averaging more than 1.5 hrs per AFTP.

As a full time technician (MTP/ME) my yearly totals have been between 120 and 230 hours per year. Now that I am tracked IP also I am sure I can fly as much as I want, not that I couldn't before.
          Hey RobLyman,

Just out of curiosity, how many hours did you have when you got brought on as a technician?

Thanks!

Comment

I had 1500 hours when I started as a technician. Most of that was from the Navy flying Seahawks.

Comment

Working...
            X