X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters student, Aviation/ general question

I'm 28 yrs old, and have prior service in the Air Force. I will be graduating with a Masters in Computer Science end of summer 2013. I'm interested in the idea of pilot in the National Guard. What are the contract obligations..

-Is it one weekend a month/ 2 weeks a year still after training? Or is it more a full time gig.
    -How many years would you have to sign up for minimum as an Aviator?
    -Will it be better to go Warrent Officer or Commissioned?
    -What is a contract length for non aviation Commissioned Officer?
    -seeing how I'm prior enlisted and basically used up most of my GI bill benefits.. I still have student loans for various things. Will they pay back any portion of that? Or have I already basically exhausted my education benefits from my first contract..

Thanks!

Re: Masters student, Aviation/ general question

Anybody have any information on at least one of those questions ? ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by eaglei22 View Post
      I'm 28 yrs old, and have prior service in the Air Force. I will be graduating with a Masters in Computer Science end of summer 2013. I'm interested in the idea of pilot in the National Guard. What are the contract obligations..

-Is it one weekend a month/ 2 weeks a year still after training? Or is it more a full time gig.
      -seeing how I'm prior enlisted and basically used up most of my GI bill benefits.. I still have student loans for various things. Will they pay back any portion of that? Or have I already basically exhausted my education benefits from my first contract..

Thanks!
      I chose not to answer this because I am not even close to a SME on enlistment etc. So take what I say with a grain of salt and look for some of the others to verify or correct my statements.

1) Part time gig
      2) 6 years (After you get your wings) So add about 18 months of full time training onto that.
      3) Shooters choice....I hear Warrant has more slots and and have less collateral duties (This is one that my knowledge is VERY lacking)
      4) 6 years from Commission
      5) Search the thread for SLRP there are a few threads that discuss this.

Comment

Okay thanks for the insight man, appreciate it!

Comment

Okay thanks for the insight man, appreciate it!
          Once again, don't take it as gospel.

Comment

Thanks!
            I would recommend taking a look at the WO Aviation section on the National Guard website. It can give you a breakdown of what you can expect of the whole process. Here's a direct link: WO Aviation

As far as Student Loan Repayment, have you used any of that benefit with your first contract?

Comment

I responded but I don't think it posted.. Let me try this again:

Thanks RyCass,

I will look at that the section you posted..

I did use my benefits for the last year of my Bachelors, and now in graduate school I'm using it as well.

Comment

A couple notes on the whole WO vs. Commissioned side WRT Aviation.

There's no direct to Warrant Officer (WO) process in the Guard like there is on Active Duty. You can become an Aviator if you pass the AFAST, Flight Physical, etc. and this generally requires some kind of boarding by your state's Aviation command also. The caveat here is that you must already be MOS qualified in something. It doesn't have to be Aviation, but it does mean you will have to go to BCT and AIT before you can even apply to become a WO.

The other option is OCS. With this you'll go to BCT then straight in to OCS (whatever flavor you may get), so no AIT required. Getting Aviation during OCS is the trickier part. You may or may not get Aviation as a branch choice and it's usually slim pickings, but if you line your ducks up in a row you can make it happen. I'm actually trying this path myself.

Also, I'd have to agree with comments above that there are generally more WO slots than their are Commisioned slots. Of course it will vary by state, but from what I've seen that statement generally holds true.

Just a few nuggets to chew on.

Comment

I responded but I don't think it posted.. Let me try this again:

Thanks RyCass,

I will look at that the section you posted..

I did use my benefits for the last year of my Bachelors, and now in graduate school I'm using it as well.
                  Just to clarify, though, did you use SLRP in the past? I'm not talking about Federal TA, Montgomery GI Bill and the like. Rather, has the military paid any of your loans? If so, then you would not qualify for the SLRP as a Prior Service applicant. Read up on it in the sticky I made under Benefits: SLRP

Comment

No the military has never paid for any of my loans. Thanks for the stick link. Checking it out now!

-Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X