X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warrant Officer info and help.

OP, don't get hung up on the enlisted expereince. I've seen many warrants get selected soley based off of their civlian experience. Follow the link that Jwarren posted and find the POC for the proponent you think you're qualified for and contact them. The proponent for that field is really the key to this whole process as they are really the approval authority.

For instance, I was looking at the CID warrant. MP officer doing garrison LE and several years civlian LE. Contacted the proponent and was told I had a decent shot.

BTW, the Mobility Warrant is open to all as it's a fairly new field. In reality you really need to come from a transportation background and have a solid understanding of how cargo moves.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      I have seen USACIDC make a few exceptions for current or prior GS-1811 series Federal Agents with significant cirminal investigative experience. I have known two personally. They are incredibly strict on the experience requirement, as they should be.
      That is very interesting and thanks for the info. And like the CPT Below stated; NG selection is very different than AD selection since they can look at more civilian experience. That actually did help me for my AD warrant selection.

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      OP, don't get hung up on the enlisted expereince. I've seen many warrants get selected soley based off of their civlian experience. Follow the link that Jwarren posted and find the POC for the proponent you think you're qualified for and contact them. The proponent for that field is really the key to this whole process as they are really the approval authority.

For instance, I was looking at the CID warrant. MP officer doing garrison LE and several years civlian LE. Contacted the proponent and was told I had a decent shot.

BTW, the Mobility Warrant is open to all as it's a fairly new field. In reality you really need to come from a transportation background and have a solid understanding of how cargo moves.
      Good luck with that CPT and let us know how it goes.

Comment

That was a while ago and didn't submit a packet. I was looking at going back to active duty.

Comment

OP,

You do have to attend both Basic and AIT. As a PS Air Force O9S, you DID not have to attend BCT, but now that you have aged out of OCS and are unfortunately strictly enlisted you are correct that you have 24 months from the time you signed to become MOSq'd. For you that means BCT and AIT. Can you become an 88N instead of a 88M? It would greatly enhance your selectability for a 882A. Also, if you have a dental background (medical), many universities have "Any Bachellor's degree to a BSN" in about 13 - 16 months of full time school. If you used any GI Bill benefit, TA etc and went and got your RN(BSN) you are commissionable up to 46 years old. It might be a good fit with your dental background and would give you outside career opportunities.

Comment

OP,

You've had a lot of great suggestions on here! If you've not seen it yet, there's a Warrant Officer Application Guide on the National Guard website. It breaks down the basic requirements to becoming a Warrant Officer. If I'm not mistaken, you'll need to hold the rank of E5 and have a minimum of 2 years experience in your MOS to be eligible to commission. There's waivers depending on state, but this may help you get an idea of the time frame you're looking at. Here's that guide: http://bit.ly/PO7XTZ

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice. I will focus on doing well at basic and finding an MOS that I can enjoy and make that vocation a vacation.
              My friends graduated OCS yesterday and that has just really motivated me to not give up on becoming an officer. I want to serve my country and the Army as an officer and lead soldiers. I've paid my dues to the enlisted ranks for 19 yrs and have a great amount of respect for what they do. But I am a driven individual that doesn't like to quit, so I shall keep trying until father time or my body gives me notice.
              I hope you all stay safe and I wish you all the best in your careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I may be wrong but I heard of a policy change with regard to the enlistment of non-Army prior service individuals recently. It pertains to whether they have to attend BCT or not. I believe certain MOS from the AF and Navy did not have to attend BCT.
                That is correct. Unless a PS applicant hails from the Marine Corps or Active Duty Army, they will be required to attend BCT. The exceptions are Air Force and Navy "Special Forces" equivalent MOSs.

Comment

Since the new WO threads are closed, I just wanted to say that it was good to see them even though they were placed by an LT Very good information that hopefully will prevent redundant questions on this site.

Comment

Since the new WO threads are closed, I just wanted to say that it was good to see them even though they were placed by an LT Very good information that hopefully will prevent redundant questions on this site.

The LT works here at NationalGuard.com. Try not to hold it against him that he's an LT, he has seen the light an getting ready to drop a WO packet to convert. Smart move on his part if you ask me. If you want to PM me about anything discrepancies you see on those sticky threads feel free.

Comment

Hope you dont mind, I dowloaded this photo to view daily that I'll one day be selected for WOCS... Current MOS 92Y, a member of the National Guard, 14 years active duty ( I know.. why did I get out at 13 years of service. lets just say, after deployment, one returns to ????.. oh well. So I have 18 Years of federal service almost done with my masters, will have to see if I qualify to submit a packet. Oh, funny I have to raise my GT score, bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by naiatea View Post
                        Hope you dont mind, I dowloaded this photo to view daily that I'll one day be selected for WOCS... Current MOS 92Y, a member of the National Guard, 14 years active duty ( I know.. why did I get out at 13 years of service. lets just say, after deployment, one returns to ????.. oh well. So I have 18 Years of federal service almost done with my masters, will have to see if I qualify to submit a packet. Oh, funny I have to raise my GT score, bummer.
                        Ok, I just saw your first post. Yes, you will need to have a GT of 110 to apply. You are good to go with the education portion. Also, I stated that I figured you left the military based on pregnancy and that is nothing to be ashamed about. Ever considered OCS as well?
                        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X