X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Affairs in National Guard

I was talking with my officer recruiter about the review boards and while we were talking she mentioned civil affairs and that she thought it would be a good long term option for me.We didnt get into alot of detail so I thought I would ask here. I have read that the Guard has civil affairs positions but not units. What would that role of a civil affairs officer be in the National Guard and do all states have one? What is the training like?

Civil Affairs is not an entry level branch. Officers are go into this when they are 1LT promotable or Captains.

Comment

That is what the recruiter said. And that is fine. I was just wondering how the Civil Affairs works in the National Guard. It is something I would like to know more about in case I do decide to transition into it when I get time in to do so.

Comment

Since you have 5-6 years at the minimum to think about it, why not worry about short term stuff like Basic, OCS ect.

There are a lot of things in the NG and USAR that sound, look or work well on Active Duty but don't work well in the reserve components. This is one of those times.

Comment

You'll find a few CA slots at a BCT and Division HQ. It's not enough to make a career, even after (as the others have stated) you have a few years of basic branch service.

My recommendation is for you to serve admirably in a combat arms branch, and after company command re-evaluate your situation. If you still want to pursue CA, then the Army Reserve has units all around the country -- although not necessarily close to you. Many CA Soldiers love what they do, which means they drive many long hours to drill. Also, those CA units mobilized constantly even before 9-11, so it's a big lifestyle change. You have a few years, find some serving CA Soldiers, and ask about their experience to see if this is a good fit for you for the long-term.

Comment

Working...
          X