Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like some REAL HELP on my specific situation...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like some REAL HELP on my specific situation...

I am a US Citizen (born in Texas) living in Canada with a Canadian Green Card. I have lived in Canada since I was 2 years old, and I am currently 25 years old (recently graduated with 4 year BSc Canadian university degree). I have taken the ASVAB and scored AFQT 95, GT 127, and CO 138. I plan to move down to the US permanently on my own in August 2014 (still saving money for the big move/ etc.) for the sole purpose of trying to enlist REP63 in NG SF. I don't want to waste my time and money. I could really use some real assistance with real concrete answers.

Will the fact that I have lived in Canada my entire life be an obstacle for immediate REP63 enlistment?
    Do I need (or be eligible for) a SECRET security clearance prior to successfully enlisting with REP63 at MEPS/recruiter's office?
    Although I am NOT a dual citizen...would that be a problem when trying to gain entry with REP63? (If not... I was thinking of applying for dual Canadian/US Citizenship before I move to US)
    Do I have to live in US and establish myself for 6-12 months prior to enlisting REP63?

I have never held a job in the US, I have no US credit score, etc, etc. I will be starting a new life in US this August with the intention of enlisting REP63 in NG.

Can dual citizens of both USA (born) and Canada (raised) apply for SF in the NG via the REP63 contract?
    In other words...will one be eligible for the SECRET security clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenlivinginCanada View Post
      I am a US Citizen (born in Texas) living in Canada with a Canadian Green Card. I have lived in Canada since I was 2 years old, and I am currently 25 years old (recently graduated with 4 year BSc Canadian university degree). I have taken the ASVAB and scored AFQT 95, GT 127, and CO 138. I plan to move down to the US permanently on my own in August 2014 (still saving money for the big move/ etc.) for the sole purpose of trying to enlist REP63 in NG SF. I don't want to waste my time and money. I could really use some real assistance with real concrete answers.

Will the fact that I have lived in Canada my entire life be an obstacle for immediate REP63 enlistment? Yes, it can be an issue when it comes to the security application and will delay it significantly.
      Do I need (or be eligible for) a SECRET security clearance prior to successfully enlisting with REP63 at MEPS/recruiter's office? Yes and no. As long as you can qualify for an interim secret clearance you can continue with an REP 63/18X contract. An interim clearance is usually approved within a couple days from submitting of a completed SF 86, obviously assuming there are no issues seen on the application.
      An interim clearance (also known as“interim eligibility”) is based on the completion of minimum investigative requirements and granted on a temporary basis, pending the completion of the full investigative requirements for the final clearance.

Interim clearances can be withdrawn at any time significant unfavorable information is developed during the investigation. It is not possible to appeal the declination or withdrawal of an interim clearance. Effective 1 August2012 the term “declined” was replaced by the term “Eligibility Pending,” which has the same effect as the declination of an interim clearance.

Although I am NOT a dual citizen...would that be a problem when trying to gain entry with REP63? (If not... I was thinking of applying for dual Canadian/US Citizenship before I move to US)
      Do I have to live in US and establish myself for 6-12 months prior to enlisting REP63? You cannot be a dual citizen and qualify for Special Forces

I have never held a job in the US, I have no US credit score, etc, etc. I will be starting a new life in US this August with the intention of enlisting REP63 in NG. It sounds like you would need to return to the States for at least a time before you could really apply for REP 63

ANSWERS in BOLD above
      Last edited by SF Hunter; May 14th, 2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

You would not be able to qualify for Special Forces as a dual citizen. You would have to reside in the USA and denounce your Canadian citizenship prior to qualifying for any job that requires a security clearance.
        Last edited by SF Hunter; May 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Living overseas is not in itself a disqualifier, particularly for a documented reasons such as education. No one here can give you The Answer, because more goes into a clearance determination. Personally, I would not worry about it. Answer the questions honestly, and if you have nothing to hide then don't hide it. If you do have something to hide, then stay in Canada.

Comment

Working...
          X