Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty and National Guard SF

Hello All,

As the title suggests, my question is in regards to differences between the active duty component and the guard component of SF. Now, from reading the forums, I am aware that one crucial difference between the two is op tempo. That much I am aware of. However, with all the things that an SF soldier needs to be proficient in, how does the NG SF soldier have enough time to be trained and be up to speed if they are only training for one week a month and maybe 12-16 weeks a year as opposed to the AD SF soldier who is doing it 365 days a year? How do the AD SF guys look at their NG brothers? Do they look at them with the same amount of respect? I have heard (and of course I won't take this as gospel) that on deployment NG SF are looked at by their AD brethren almost as if they are the red-headed step children. Do certain civilian professions assist the NG SF soldier in becoming an even more proficient soldier if the occupational duties are similar? For example, is an NG SF soldier who is a physician in his civilian life or EMT able to utilize that knowledge on his ODA if he is a 18D? Can a NG SF soldier who is an engineer in the civilian life be able to utilize said knowledge if he is an 18C? Can a federal agent or police officer utilize said training and knowledge to assist him if he is an 18B? The same question applies to an 18E as well. I would really like to get the opinion of someone who has served both on an AD ODA as well as an NG ODA if possible. If that is not possible, then I wouldn't mind hearing opinions from people who have worked in one of the above groups and can share what it is like as far as training is concerned. I would really like to join NG SF, but I am concerned that once there, I will not be receiving as much training as the AD guys and as such will not be as proficient as they are in skill sets that an SF soldier is supposed to be proficient in. Thank you.

Originally posted by Saltamonte View Post
    how does the NG SF soldier have enough time to be trained and be up to speed if they are only training for one week a month and maybe 12-16 weeks a year as opposed to the AD SF soldier who is doing it 365 days a year?
    NG SF will also conduct pre-mob training prior to any overseas deployments. But ultimately, the responsibility of keeping skills at a high level of preparedness is placed more on each individual SF operator. So in part we have to maintain some skills and obviously physical fitness by our own means and personal time.

How do the AD SF guys look at their NG brothers? Do they look at them with the same amount of respect? I have heard (and of course I won't take this as gospel) that on deployment NG SF are looked at by their AD brethren almost as if they are the red-headed step children
    Depends on the AD SF guys you encounter, some are more ignorant than others and believe NG SF is some sort of junior varsity asset/team. When in fact allot of NG SF are former AD SF and have many many years of experience and combat tours. Plus NG SF have a ton more skills and traits to bring to the operational table then someone who has only served on active duty. We usually have better people skills and build higher rapport because we do have other jobs/careers that have to deal with all sorts of cultures, race, sex, religions and of course the opposite sex on a day to day basis, not just during deployments or at the local club/bar. We have guys serving on ODAs and ODBs that have careers that vary from one end of the spectrum to the other. One example: How many AD SF can say they have assisted in the planning and programming of Mars satellite missions for NASA?

Do certain civilian professions assist the NG SF soldier in becoming an even more proficient soldier if the occupational duties are similar? For example, is an NG SF soldier who is a physician in his civilian life or EMT able to utilize that knowledge on his ODA if he is a 18D? Can a NG SF soldier who is an engineer in the civilian life be able to utilize said knowledge if he is an 18C? Can a federal agent or police officer utilize said training and knowledge to assist him if he is an 18B? The same question applies to an 18E as well.
    Allot of NG SF do pursue similar career paths such as you mentioned. Quite a few are independent contractors for varies companies or government agencies. Allot of 18Ds are actual working Paramedics or PAs in major cities and see the guts and blood practically every day.

I would really like to get the opinion of someone who has served both on an AD ODA as well as an NG ODA if possible. If that is not possible, then I wouldn't mind hearing opinions from people who have worked in one of the above groups and can share what it is like as far as training is concerned. I would really like to join NG SF, but I am concerned that once there, I will not be receiving as much training as the AD guys and as such will not be as proficient as they are in skill sets that an SF soldier is supposed to be proficient in. Thank you.
    I have served with both AD and NG SF and seen both sides of the fence. I personally transitioned to the Guard due to personal/family reasons. Both sides have their PROS and CONS like all careers.

I hope this has shed some light on your concerns.

SF Hunter
    Last edited by SF Hunter; April 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X