Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few general questions about joining SF.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few general questions about joining SF.

I skimmed through nearly all of the threads pertaining to SF including all of the stickies. Very informative. I just want to verify a few things and ask a couple of questions which I dont believe were answered or even asked previously.

For the record, I am prior service Army E-4. 25 years old, super fit.

I reside in CT. There is no SF unit in the CT National Guard. There is in MA (19th) and RI (20th). My preference would be the 19th. So from what I read there is no contract option to re-enlist for SF. For example 18x. It is my understanding based on what I have read that you need to enlist under an mos (nothing specified) and pursue this SF endeavor once you are in the guard. So essentially there is no contractual obligation from the NG that states you are entitled to try out at all.. So I am supposed to enlist, and trust the Guard that I will get a shot at trying out or proving my ability to perform in an SF unit sometime down the line?

With that said, assuming they keep their word (because the army is all about keeping their word and making sure you get what you desire) and I do get a shot at whatever it may be to prove my ability. Say I do make it through it all. What is life like in an SF Guard Unit? Do they deploy often? More often than other units? Is the training the same format (1wknd/mnth, 2 weeks/yr)? Also, is there a contract obligation once you are assigned to an SFAS date? I believe I read you must have around 3 years left on your contract after the Q course. So if I enlist for 3 years initially (assuming that option still exists and they didnt increase it to 6) and I get a date after a year, is their a specific amount of time I MUST extend to upon receiving my SFAS or SFQC date? So for active duty its 5 years. I guess what I am asking overall is that if I enlist with an MOS, make some noise and get selected an SFAS date, get through SFAS, will I be expected to extend 5 years?

I truly did read all of the threads, it is possible through all the reading I may have missed or forgotten a few things so please excuse that if I did. Thank you in advance for the response.

Where in CT do you live? I use to live near Stamford and commute nearly 80+ miles to Niantic. Rhode Island is not that far from there. Have you thought of talking to the RI NG recruiter and see if you enlist there? You are not bound to join the Guard in your state. I new guys in Jersey that were in the NY Guard and vice-versa.

Comment

I live near Hartford. Im not upset about commuting to RI or MA. I would prefer MA as the SF company is only about 30 min from my residence. But really I would be willing to go whichever one that would increase my chances of receiving an opportunity. Im certainly not crazy about the idea of joining without a guarantee to try out. Would be pretty upset to join and never receive the opporunity.

Comment

Interesting article on Army Times

Comment

At times, I do miss being in the CT ARNG. This was an interesting article on Army Times. http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...Special-Forces

Comment

Originally posted by Sapper36 View Post
            I reside in CT. There is no SF unit in the CT National Guard. There is in MA (19th) and RI (20th). Correction MA is 20th and RI is 19th.

State residency is not required to enlist or serve in any state's ARNG. So, you should enlist with MA in order to pursue SF.

My preference would be the 19th. So from what I read there is no contract option to re-enlist for SF. For example 18x. It is my understanding based on what I have read that you need to enlist under an mos (nothing specified) and pursue this SF endeavor once you are in the guard. So essentially there is no contractual obligation from the NG that states you are entitled to try out at all.. So I am supposed to enlist, and trust the Guard that I will get a shot at trying out or proving my ability to perform in an SF unit sometime down the line?

In short, no you will not have a contract guaranteeing you to have a shot at trying out with the SF unit (C/1/20th SFG). But, that is why you would work with their assigned recruiter to enlist into MA ARNG; to have the closest thing to a guarantee and one foot in the door.

So if I enlist for 3 years initially (assuming that option still exists and they didnt increase it to 6) and I get a date after a year, is their a specific amount of time I MUST extend to upon receiving my SFAS or SFQC date? So for active duty its 5 years. I guess what I am asking overall is that if I enlist with an MOS, make some noise and get selected an SFAS date, get through SFAS, will I be expected to extend 5 years?

If there is an open slot for you former MOS, you could possibly enlist for a 12 month contract in order to apply for SF with the shortest obligation, in the event things do not go as planned. Otherwise enlisting for any MOS you are not qualified in will require a minimum 3 year contract. You can attend SFAS and be selected with no service obligation, but in order to attend and complete SFQC you will have to either extend or reenlist to meet the minimum 3 year obligation after graduating SFQC.
            Answers above in bold type.

The next step is for you to fill out the online form at the end of the prior military service recruit path on the SF webpage (See my signature block). “Apply for Special Forces,” so that you can get in touch with the appropriate SF recruiter. Be sure to indicate the NG SF unit of interest from the drop down menu.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; March 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Wilco. I talked to one today who essentially confirmed the above. So the only question I really have left is what is life like in a guard SF unit? HE told me some of the weekend drills are a lot of the times 3-4 day drills from Wed -Sun and the AT is 30 days a lot of the time on an actual deployment/mission.. Can anyone confirm or add to this?

Comment

Sending you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                X